Bought a BCS...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I finally did it. I've been oogling over BCS tillers for years. Today was the day.

I was trying to work up a patch that had gotten more sod in it than I wish it had and my old 30 year old Craftsman tiller quit on me. My dear wife gave me a good talkin' to and said, "We need to go get a new tiller." It wasn't a suggestion. And that old tiller, well, it was a matter of sendin' a boy to do a man's job. I knew that. But I've been trying to get by continuing to fix little things as I've had to. And I could have again. But I'll bet I'd have spent hours fixin' on the thing, probably multiple times, and who knows if I'd have gotten that ground worked up.

It's not their smallest. And it's certainly not their biggest. But it's big enough that there aren't too many attachments they make that it can't power. There are a bunch of attachments to be had if I decide I want 'em. But just using the tiller, wow! That thing is a beast! And it works very well.

Ya know how some things you buy and within 5 minutes, wish you'd bought a better one? I used this one for about an hour this afternoon and I kinda don't think I'm gonna think that about this machine. Expensive, yes. Built like a tank, though. Pretty easy to use. And I suspect it'll outlive me should this ol' world go on that long. Hated spending the $$. But my dear wife convinced me that I need to work smarter, not harder. She's right.

I finally did it. I've been oogling over BCS tillers for years. Today was the day.

I was trying to work up a patch that had gotten more sod in it than I wish it had and my old 30 year old Craftsman tiller quit on me. My dear wife gave me a good talkin' to and said, "We need to go get a new tiller." It wasn't a suggestion. And that old tiller, well, it was a matter of sendin' a boy to do a man's job. I knew that. But I've been trying to get by continuing to fix little things as I've had to. And I could have again. But I'll bet I'd have spent hours fixin' on the thing, probably multiple times, and who knows if I'd have gotten that ground worked up.

It's not their smallest. And it's certainly not their biggest. But it's big enough that there aren't too many attachments they make that it can't power. There are a bunch of attachments to be had if I decide I want 'em. But just using the tiller, wow! That thing is a beast! And it works very well.

Ya know how some things you buy and within 5 minutes, wish you'd bought a better one? I used this one for about an hour this afternoon and I kinda don't think I'm gonna think that about this machine. Expensive, yes. Built like a tank, though. Pretty easy to use. And I suspect it'll outlive me should this ol' world go on that long. Hated spending the $$. But my dear wife convinced me that I need to work smarter, not harder. She's right.

So are you going to keep us waiting?

Share images of the addition to the household.

Ben

So are you going to keep us waiting?

Share images of the addition to the household.

Ben
I did a search but would still like to see the new one.

@Firepolice271 voluteered to help clear out a house a friend inherited from an uncle to get it ready to sell. There was a tiller in the pile they gifted to my brother. It still had paint on the tines.

My brother loves tillers and may own 6 or more. Every digging project screams tiller to him.

shared.jpg

Ever run a tiller inside a house?

He has.

Ben

Last edited:
BCS is the Rolls Royce of tillers, I checked them out years ago, just couldn't afford one back then. A friend did some trading for a Troy Built, he brought it to our place, it need some minor repair but once it's up and running, I'm sure it'll do the job for us. Anyway, I'm happy for you that you got the BCS.

I wanted one of the big TroyBilt 8 HP tillers. My dad has one and it is a pleasure to use.

My ex father-in-law had one of those old TroyBilt tillers back before I ever got my Craftsman and it wasn't new when he bought it. I'd guess it was a 1970's model. It was very solid and beefy for sure. I've seen a few of the news ones in front of stores, can't even remember which stores, but they didn't seem like those old behemoths I remembered.

Now... if that stimulus check comes through, it'll make payin' the credit card bill that much easier. Not to worry, it gets paid off every month anyway so no interest. Just wouldn't have to pull it outta savings. :)

Jeez, just checked those BCS prices. I can get a international cub tractor with attachments for that kind of money... and I can ride it! A guy down the road from me buys and rebuilds them, sells them for around $3K.

Hope you enjoy it!

Congratulations. I had one for years. I believe it was the 718. Largest of the small ones and about $2200. They took a pretty good price hike to the next model and I really could not justify that as I would not use most of the attachments. Loved it. Absolute joy to use. Smooth and powerful. Never had an ounce of trouble with it in the years I owned it. Put that bad boy in traveling gear and you are jogging to keep up with it!

I got the dual wheel extensions and well worth it. Kept it running flat when you were doing ‘bull work’ and were building up ridges.

I used it to dig a trench to run some irrigation pipes. Took out all but 2 tines and it did a great job of ‘trenching’ 8” down to lay the ½” PVC pipe.

Back in my previous life I had the old reliable Troy Bilt Horse. It was old when I got it in the 1970’s! Beast of a machine. Would rip your arms right off if you let it get away from ya. Loved it though. Before I got the BCS I bought a Troy Bilt Bronco model, the new ones. POS. Cheap, flimsy, rattled, jumped… And to beat all, it is belt driven!! WTH?? Brought it back after the first day when the shroud came loose and the belt kept slipping. Seems I had to tighten bolts on it frequently, even on that first day.

If you garden and do any kind of tilling, I would highly recommend to bite the bullet and spend the money to get a BCS. You will never regret it. They are an absolute pleasure to use.

just checked those BCS prices. I can get a international cub tractor with attachments for that kind of money...

Probably can. I have an ol' '47 Cub. I don't have a lot of attachments for it that would do the job I needed done. Plus, I wanted something small enough to fit in spaces the ol' Cub won't quite fit. And the BCS has attachments available that'll do stuff that ol' Cub couldn't even imagine... not to mention I don't have places to take the BCS where I need to worry about it rolling over on me, can't say that about the Cub.

I guess it depends on exactly what you want it to do. No plans to get rid of either machine. I'll use them both.

Put that bad boy in traveling gear and you are jogging to keep up with it!

I've done that a couple of times just for fun. Yeah, I can't walk that fast, and I'm too old to do much running. They tell me that in Europe, they have a cart that attaches behind them that you ride in that's very popular there. Don't know if you can get them here but I wouldn't imagine someone couldn't make somethin' similar. ;)

Latest posts

Back