Bought another coal forge today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A while back I made a coal forge and it works fine. But today I was at a yard sale and saw one so I bought it ($100). It looks like this one but the one I bought has a cast iron bowl (the one in this pic looks like steel). I have to make the wood handle and make a new flat leather belt for it but everything looks good. Boston Forge company. Maybe I will get a pic of mine tomorrow.
1.111.jpg

A while back I made a coal forge and it works fine. But today I was at a yard sale and saw one so I bought it ($100). It looks like this one but the one I bought has a cast iron bowl (the one in this pic looks like steel). I have to make the wood handle and make a new flat leather belt for it but everything looks good. Boston Forge company. Maybe I will get a pic of mine tomorrow.
View attachment 80646
Great score!

Ben

View attachment 80646
Good deal - think you'll be pleased. My mom had petunias in the one Hubby has that's that size. :oops:

Inquiring minds want to know what you use it for? What kind of blacksmithing do you do?
Mostly I just play with the forge. I have made 4 knives that I sure didn't need along with some decorative hangers and such.
This forge is much larger than the one I made. Also this is like the one my Dad had on the farm when I grew up. He never used it that I ever saw though we did have a pile of coal he must have bought once before I was born.
My one son has both a coal and gas forge and I might give this one to my other son if he wants it. It doesn't hurt to have some blacksmithing experience. The closest place I can get coal is 300 miles away near where my kids live. They have easy access to coal.
I do also have a gas forge.

Mostly I just play with the forge. I have made 4 knives that I sure didn't need along with some decorative hangers and such.
This forge is much larger than the one I made. Also this is like the one my Dad had on the farm when I grew up. He never used it that I ever saw though we did have a pile of coal he must have bought once before I was born.
My one son has both a coal and gas forge and I might give this one to my other son if he wants it. It doesn't hurt to have some blacksmithing experience. The closest place I can get coal is 300 miles away near where my kids live. They have easy access to coal.
I do also have a gas forge.
Ten minute walk from my front door to the nearest coal seam. ;) only members of my family have seen it.

Ben

View attachment 80646
I highly recommend lining that bowl with fire mortar.

Picture of my forge while i was building it
2 barrels, sitting on top of each other, the top acts as a hood

the blower is from a gas central heating unit, it is the exhaust blower

NOT pictured is the cast iron brake drum from a car.
forge 2 002.JPG
forge blower 002.JPG
PFlaundrysink1.png

Latest posts

Back