Bovine Mastitis turned into Staph infection

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Friend called this morning, her jersey milk cow got mastitis that has now turned into an external staph infection. Vet’s antibiotics not helping, vet gave up. Actually suggested she take the cow back to the seller and try to get her $2500 back. (had the cow since May)

I don’t have a lot of detail or specifics, just external staph she can’t clear up. I was hoping some of you might have come across this and know what to do... to get the situation under control and the cow healthy. Dealing with how this got started can be done later...

If, that cow was healthy back in May when she bought it, or she was aware of the potential problem at that time, she has no buisiness asking to return the cow at this late date.

Not knowing what antibiotics the vet used or how, or even where this is occurring on the cow, it's pretty hard to recommend anything. Bactrim ointment works very well on resistant external staph for some people.

If it's an open wound and all else has truly failed, go old school and try stuff like blue kote followed by pine tar. The idea is to make the environment too toxic for further growth. If the cow has boils they need to be lanced, drained and packed with antibiotics.

As always, don't believe everything you read on the internet. You pay your money and take your chances.

Update… my only suggestion was using cedar needles in the cow’s water and garlic in her feed. I called the sage of lookout mtn, he wanted to talk to my friend directly so I gave her the number and told her to call.

1st, the cow immediately ate the cedar out of her water. Funny how critters sometimes know what they need. Clearly the cedar was a hit. 2nd, my friend crushed/chopped several garlic cloves into the sweet feed. The cow gobbled it down… another hit!

Today (5th day) the cow is much improved, most of the inflammation is gone. Just two small inflamed spots visible on her udder.

Seems under control but drug resistant staph hangs around forever and can come roaring back. So today my friend finally got in touch with the Sage on the mtn. (this guy knows so much about plant medicine it’s amazing…) He suggested making powdered yellowroot to put in the feed and make yellowroot tea to wipe down the udder several times a day. (don’t know why I didn’t think of it… I’ll remember next time!)

So, tomorrow I’ll harvest a 5g bucket of yellowroot. It’s going to take a lot, might have to get more in a few days.

Anyway, that’s the plan. I’ll update again in a few days. But for now the situation seems under control.

Last edited:
Today I finally got a look at the cow with a staff infection. Healed up but for a tiny spot that looks like a zit with a white tip. On just one teat, up near the bag. Saw the before and after photos too. The whole udder had been covered with these white tipped bumps. I’d never used cedar on something like this… A vet and 2 rounds of antibiotics didn’t put a dent in the staff infection. Amazing what a little cedar and some garlic did. Think I might be using cedar more often.

2 milk cows, one is perfectly fine, no issues, same feed, water, shed. The other… I think this cow suffers from chronic infections. Not unusual in livestock or people. I watched her for a while from my friends living room across the road. The cow acts stressed all the time for no apparent reason... it's subtle. And there’s something about the way she looks i don't like. Can’t put my finger on it but if I saw her at auction I’d pass.

Going out to harvest poke berries tomorrow, think it’s about a month to late but a friend suddenly needs them. Yep, for the cow! A few dried poke berries in her feed each week (long term) might help the infections.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back