Brainteasers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all are assuming there is a pully system in place or that the kid has the materials and know how to build it.
....You may be a bad kid, but you have a brain, and stuff to work with.
Salvaging the front rim and spindle off of a junk car, you bolt it to the top of the barn pole.
You build the rope, pulley, and platforms setup shown below.
It has a chain with a hook that can hold either platform at ground level.
Post #24 ^ ^ ^.

Last edited:
Wooool, at least I offered entertainment :LOL:
Ok, it's your turn to think up the next one:).
At least write the answer to @havasu 's question.
You just have to think 'olden-days';).

Oh yea. We completely skipped it. I have no idea on that one, but I would say it's a question like "Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?"

Oh yea. We completely skipped it. I have no idea on that one, but I would say it's a question like "Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?"
Not really. The name for each (driveway and parkway) came about from complete logic.

Many of such things do have rational origins. I will wait and learn.
That said, I do know why it's called a pair of pants.

That said, I do know why it's called a pair of pants.
I could understand that one because of a 'pair' of chaps in their past...
But a pair of 'underwear', no
NoDeal.gif

Why is it that one parks on a driveway, but drives on a parkway?
Answer (my theory anyway:rolleyes:):
"Driveway"
Back in the 'horse & buggy' days most houses were built a good ways from the road because almost everyone lived on a farm.
The big steel wheels of the carriage/wagon made 2 deep dirt paths from the road up to the house.
When automobiles took over, the small tires of cars got stuck in mud-holes in the paths.
The strips of ground had to be upgraded to a small one-lane dirt road.
Since you 'rode' in a carriage or wagon but 'drove' a car, the upgraded strip of dirt-road to the house became a "drive-way":).
As people moved to the city, with houses closer to the street, the 'driveway' became shorter like it is today and the only place to park your car at home.

"Parkway"
In the old days, towns sprang up in the US on main roads. Roads were small with no shoulder to park on. There was usually only one main road in and out of town.
With the advent of automobiles that could go in reverse (unlike a horse & buggy), businesses built parking spaces in front of their stores for customers to park.
(Most side streets were nothing more than alleyways with nowhere to park.)
As the towns grew and they were naming streets and avenues, the main section thru town with parking was named something "Parkway".
Of course later, that 2-lane stretch would be four-laned so traffic wouldn't have to stop whenever someone backed out of a parking place.
You know the rest. That stretch of 4-lane became the 'main-drag' thru town:D.
"The Parkway" became synonymous with 'great road thru town'.

Women really do wear the pants in the family. Pants is short for pantaloons. Men wore britches or trousers. Pantaloons were actually two pieces. There was no crotch seam so it was much like matching socks. There could be several young ladies in a household so they could be different. They were held up by a drawstring around the waist. This allowed women to "go to the bathroom" while wearing large skirted dresses. Once pantaloons were no longer fashionable, they were still worn but were shortened thus panties or underwear.

Latest posts

Back