Brainteasers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I searched everywhere and could not find a thread for brainteasers or brain games so here we are.

I thought this one up just for preppers that do a lot of canning:

You have no measuring cup.
But you do have 2, clear-glass quart jars that have only the full mark on them that says "1 Quart" (4 Cups). Since they are clear, you can 'balance the levels' by pouring from one into the other until they are exactly the same level.
Did you know using only your brain, some math, and only those 2 ungraduated jars, you can accurately measure the following amounts?
1-cup, 2, cups, 2-1/2 cups, 3 cups, 3-1/2 cups, 4 cups, 5 cups, 6 cups, 7 cups, 7-1/2 cups and 8 cups.
Ok, the 4 cup and 8 cup measurements are gimmies so we'll leave them out.

I'll get you started:
Step 1: Fill the first one to the mark and you have 4 cups. Pour from the first jar into the second jar and balance the two levels. You now have 2 cups in both.
Step 2: Pour the second jar back into the source and repeat 'balancing the levels'. You now have 1 cup in both jars.

Can you figure out the rest?

I drive my daughters crazy by not using a measuring cup. Usually most things don't matter that much. I use a coffee cup. I count it as a full cup. I use that same cup for the rest of the ingredients. You can eyeball 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 cup easily.
Your next step on the above is just to dump and half, depending on what measurement you're going for.
I can do a third cup handful of dry ingredients pretty easily.

Can you figure out the rest?
C'mon!

Where's all our math 'honor-students'?
brickwall100.gif

Well the 8 cups is easy also. Can I have a permanent marker? Makes this game lots easier. I cook like Amish. Recipes are merely guidelines.
It's just a random math quiz.
It has no practical use:(.
(and you don't need a marker for any of the measurements)
Here's all we have left:
1-cup, 2, cups, 2-1/2 cups, 3 cups, 3-1/2 cups, 4 cups, 5 cups, 6 cups, 7 cups, 7-1/2 cups and 8 cups.

Last edited:
You start with four cups in one jar. Pour half of that in the other jar and you have two jars with two cups each. Empty one of the jars and split the other jars contents in half again between the two jars and you have two jars with one cup in each. Empty one of the jars and split the contents between jars again to get two jars with 1/2 cup in each.
Since all your measurements are in multiples of half cups you can get all of them in this way.
Note: the smaller the measure, the less accurate it becomes. This system works better for materials that are homogeneous and not compressible, like liquids.

You start with four cups in one jar. Pour half of that in the other jar and you have two jars with two cups each. Empty one of the jars and split the other jars contents in half again between the two jars and you have two jars with one cup in each. Empty one of the jars and split the contents between jars again to get two jars with 1/2 cup in each.
Since all your measurements are in multiples of half cups you can get all of them in this way.
Note: the smaller the measure, the less accurate it becomes. This system works better for materials that are homogeneous and not compressible, like liquids.
That would work, but that's a lot of pouring to measure 7-1/2 cups:eek:.

Here's the answer:
I'll get you started:
Step 1: Fill the first one to the mark and you have 4 cups. Pour from the first jar into the second jar and balance the two levels. You now have 2 cups in both.
Step 2: Pour the second jar back into the source and repeat 'balancing the levels'. You now have 1 cup in both jars.

Step 3: Fill up the first jar back up and you now have 4 cups in the first one and 1 cup in the second. This is 5 cups. Balance the level in the 2 jars and you now have 2-1/2 cups in each.
Step 4: Start at the end of step one and fill the first jar back up. You have 4 cups in the first and 2 cups in the second. This is 6 cups.
Step 5: Balance the levels in the 2 jars and you have 3 cups in each. Fill the first one back up and you have 4 cups in the first one and 3 in the second. This is 7 cups.
Step 6: Balance the level in the 2 jars and you have 3-1/2 cups in each.
Step 7: Fill the first jar up and you have 4 cups in the first and 3-1/2 in the second which equals 7-1/2 cups.
Tadaa!!!

Next up:
You are an Egyptian with no measuring tape!gaah

Me nO bRaIn ToDaY. ThInKiNg No iS fUn.

I am not a brain teaser sort of person. Unless it involves a dead body and just a little physical evidence.

This is a logic problem, NOT a math problem:

You are an Egyptian with no measuring tape!
But that's OK because the tape would just be blank because feet and inches haven't been invented yet:rolleyes:.

You are building a giant meeting hall for the Pharaoh.
It will have 8 huge columns equally spaced in the front.
You have already built the foundation and you just know it is really big, and big enough.
(you can't measure it because of the above).
But you don't need a tape measure or math because you have:
Twine (string) that is the special non-stretchy kind.
And a fine-point charcoal pencil.

Can you use just that and accurately locate the position to build the 8 columns?
The one sure thing you know is, if you build it, and it looks like this:
BrnTze2.jpg

You will be beheaded.:eek:

Can you use your brain to keep your head?
(Hint: You can use the charcoal pencil to mark the string as well as the foundation).

I'll get you started.
Since you know the end columns go at the ends of the foundation, you go ahead and build them.
You pull the string tight and make it the length between the outside column centers:
BrnTze3.jpg

How do you use it to accurately locate the other 6 columns?

That would work, but that's a lot of pouring to measure 7-1/2 cups:eek:.

Here's the answer:
I'll get you started:

Step 3: Fill up the first jar back up and you now have 4 cups in the first one and 1 cup in the second. This is 5 cups. Balance the level in the 2 jars and you now have 2-1/2 cups in each.
Step 4: Start at the end of step one and fill the first jar back up. You have 4 cups in the first and 2 cups in the second. This is 6 cups.
Step 5: Balance the levels in the 2 jars and you have 3 cups in each. Fill the first one back up and you have 4 cups in the first one and 3 in the second. This is 7 cups.
Step 6: Balance the level in the 2 jars and you have 3-1/2 cups in each.
Step 7: Fill the first jar up and you have 4 cups in the first and 3-1/2 in the second which equals 7-1/2 cups.
Tadaa!!!

Next up:
You are an Egyptian with no measuring tape!gaah
Ah-ha, I was trying to figure out how to go up in measurements from the half way point for each measurement (4, 2, 1, 1/2)

@Supervisor42
This one I get.
Use the twine which is the length ctr to ctr of the end columns. Fold it so that you have 7 equal lengths. Mark the bends. Lay the twine on the foundation and where each is will be ctr. of column. You can also use this method to evenly space buttons/buttonholes on a shirt. :)
Did I get it right?

@Supervisor42
This one I get.
Use the twine which is the length ctr to ctr of the end columns. Fold it so that you have 7 equal lengths. Mark the bends. Lay the twine on the foundation and where each is will be ctr. of column. You can also use this method to evenly space buttons/buttonholes on a shirt. :)
Did I get it right?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
clap.gif

Here is what she's talking about. There are 7 spaces between the column centers:
BrnTze2a.jpg

If you fold the twine like shown and make the turn-arounds and ends all even, all you have to do is mark the 6 turn-arounds to locate the other 6 columns; when the twine is put back in place, you just transfer the marks to the foundation:D:
BrnTze6.jpg
You'd make a good Egyptian!
High-five.gif

Last edited:
...Here's all we have left:
Back to the quart jars!
We forgot one.
We can also accurately measure 6&1/2 cups.
This is an easy one for Camo.
How do we measure 6&1/2 cups?

Back to the quart jars!
We forgot one.
We can also accurately measure 6&1/2 cups.
This is an easy one for Camo.
How do we measure 6&1/2 cups?
You guys are no fun!
brickwall100.gif

Answer:
At the end of step 3, you just fill up the first jar and you have 4 cups in the first and 2-1/2 cups in the second. 6-12 cups!

Next up:
You are a 70-pound kid with a BIG chore!

You've been bad, so for your punishment your father has given you the job of moving sacks of feed up into the loft of the barn. The loft is 12-feet above the ground.
The bags can't stay on the ground because the bottom of bags will rot and all of the feed will fall out when they are lifted later.
You have 1-50lb bag and 6-100lb bags full of feed to go up in the loft.:eek:
You're not big enough to even carry a 50lb bag up the ladder much less a 100lb one.gaah
Since you're being punished, your dad gives you a bucket, some empty bags and tells you to pour the feed into the bucket, carry it up the ladder, 15-pounds at a time, and pour it into the bags.
He leaves.
BrnTze8_3.jpg

As a kid you think: "THIS SUX!!!".:mad:
You may be a bad kid, but you have a brain, and stuff to work with.lightbulb
Salvaging the front rim and spindle off of a junk car, you bolt it to the top of the barn pole.
You build the rope, pulley, and platforms setup shown below.
It has a chain with a hook that can hold either platform at ground level.
You made the platforms plenty strong too. Each one can can carry 150lbs.
BrnTze8c.jpg

Can you as a kid, get all of that feed up in the loft before supper time?:good luck:
Tonight is sirloin-steak night and your hungry brothers will happily eat yours if you don't get back in time.gaah

Last edited:
I am sleep deprived so am not going to think about this yet.
But have you heard the song by The Dubliners Why Paddy's Not at Work Today? It goes along perfectly with this question and is a great bit entertaining.
That's actually a huge covert hint;).

So nobody is even going to take a shot at it:rolleyes:.
No sirloin steak for you!!!
brntze8c-jpg.29009

Answer:

Step 1. You slide the 50lb bag onto the platform on the ground and unhook the chain.

Step 2. You go up the ladder and get on the upper platform. Since your side out-weighs the other side by 20 pounds you go down and the 50lb bag goes up. You hook the chain to hold your platform down and step off.

Step 2A. You could go up the ladder now and slide the 50lb bag off of the platform up top; but you don't.

Step 3. You slide a 100lb bag onto the platform on the ground and unhook the chain. You go up the ladder and get on the upper platform that has the 50lb bag on it. Since your side out-weighs the other side by 20 pounds, you go down and the 100lb bag goes up. You hook the chain to hold your platform down and step off.

Step 4. You go up the ladder and drag the 100lb bag in the loft. Back down the ladder to unhook the chain and then back to step 2.

Step 5. You repeat this loop until all the 100lb bags are in the loft.

Step 6. You do step 2 but at step 2A, you slide the 50lb bag into the loft.

Step 7. You race back to the house and eat your sirloin steak.
The steak was delicious!
Yummy.gif

Last edited:
This technique requires that your pulley wheel will hold 220 pounds safely and has minimal frictional drag.
Assuming that the lift is less than 32 feet you will not hit the bottom faster than 32 feet per second which is not likely to break your legs as long as you have them bent to absorb the impact.
You could attach a rope to the post and over the wheel to act as a break. You can pull on the rope to slow your decent to a more comfortable landing.

This technique requires that your pulley wheel will hold 220 pounds safely and has minimal frictional drag.
Assuming that the lift is less than 32 feet you will not hit the bottom faster than 32 feet per second which is not likely to break your legs as long as you have them bent to absorb the impact.
You could attach a rope to the post and over the wheel to act as a break. You can pull on the rope to slow your decent to a more comfortable landing.
The tapered spindle bearings on a typical junk car have near-zero rotational drag. With only a 20lb differential accelerating 120lbs or 220lbs of mass in only 12 feet, you won't be going fast when you hit the ground.
The rope would be a great idea that you would need next year when you are a 100lb kid:eek:.
(remember, you eat steak:D)

Last edited:
Back