Brave browser?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh.
I've been a FF supporter for longer than I remember. I've been aware of Brave since it was in Beta. Hopefully it's been polished enough I won't have to make any concessions about a possible switch.

...and I already found a problem. It doesn't offer first party isolation (firefox containers). In layman's terms, this feature puts each "container" in a different room, and the websites in different containers can't see each other. Easiest example to understand........you can login to the same website using two different accounts at the same time.

While I agree that this is an over-reach by Mozilla...and goes against literally everything they publicly stood for...I'm still hopeful the community backlash will keep them from actually going through with the software development. Their announcement would be the polar opposite if this was about China "fact-checking" Hong Kong.

Ugh.
I've been a FF supporter for longer than I remember. I've been aware of Brave since it was in Beta. Hopefully it's been polished enough I won't have to make any concessions about a possible switch.

...and I already found a problem. It doesn't offer first party isolation (firefox containers). In layman's terms, this feature puts each "container" in a different room, and the websites in different containers can't see each other. Easiest example to understand........you can login to the same website using two different accounts at the same time.

While I agree that this is an over-reach by Mozilla...and goes against literally everything they publicly stood for...I'm still hopeful the community backlash will keep them from actually going through with the software development. Their announcement would be the polar opposite if this was about China "fact-checking" Hong Kong.

Use a Tor browser on Linux with a rolling vpn. Nothing sees anything.... ;) For me all data with FF has been removed. Yes, long time user and supporter here. Decide to go political and choose sides you are removed. Simple as that for me really.

Some may take me as offensive at times. I speak what I mean and mean what I say. I am passionate about America and if I offend a few in her defense so be it. Tech needs to be tech in my opinion. Same as football needs to be a game and not a political forum / statement.

Are there any tricks to getting it down loaded? I'm not having any luck so far.
Join the club.
Been using ProtonMail for over a year and just got their VPN, I think??? Then they wanted me to get Dissenter. Not sure if any of it is actually functional yet but they took my money.

Oh yea, almost forgot, they tossed Tor into the mix so I have no idea what is going on.

It took me a minute to find it and less than a minute to download and install it.
I haven't started using it yet but maybe tomorrow.

you can login to the same website using two different accounts at the same time.
Why would you want to have 2 accounts on the same website?
What kind of game playing is that?
I've never even thought of doing something like that lol

Why would you want to have 2 accounts on the same website?
What kind of game playing is that?
I've never even thought of doing something like that lol
I have overlapping accounts between personal, school, and work for a few select sites. There's a rare occasion I need legitimate access to two of them at the same time. But really that was just the most basic, easy to understand scenario that the layman can understand. Another scenario might be if I need in my account and my spouse's account at the same time.

In the larger context...I use containers to keep domains isolated. Google, Microsoft, and Amazon each have their own dedicated container. Other shopping websites are lumped into a "Shopping" container. All the forums like this one are lumped together. All my bank/investment websites share a container. There's a Facebook container that blocks connection to Fb outside of its container. If I click on an Instagram link it opens in a new tab in the Fb container.
I'm not fully versed on the underlying mechanics...but my understanding is that it prevents the sharing of things like cookies and java-script across containers, and thus the websites visited in those containers. Of course there is a certain degree of "who cares" when you consider that Google ads appear on almost every website, and a metric butt load of sites are hosted on Amazon servers......but there's enough of a benefit that the privacy guru's out there almost universally encourage the use of first-party isolation.

There's a FF extension called "Temporary Containers" which takes it up a notch and you can have a unique container for every single domain you visit. They can be persistant, or self-destructing when you close the tab.

Here's a decent explainer on First Party Isolation
https://www.maketecheasier.com/first-party-isolation-firefox/

Last edited:
I just started using Brave today. I am still learning what it can do so I'm looking for a tutorial.

Upon further review, I will not be switching to Brave.

First and foremost, it's a Chromium based browser. Chromium is the base code that Google developed for Google Chrome. By using Brave, you are essentially supporting Google. Maybe not directly, but in the "market share wars", Firefox is a drop in the bucket compared to Chromium (Chrome, MS Edge, and Opera are all Chromium). Chromium has a very dynamic code, so on any given update there could be Google spyware added. Same situation for the extensions, which come from the Chrome web store. No amount of virtue signalling from a Mozilla executive will get me to switch to a Google product.

A second problem is they claim to block trackers etc... by default, but people have found that Google and Facebook trackers are on some kind of whitelist, so they block everything except two of the largest privacy-invading companies in the world. I'm surprised Amazon isn't on the list too.

The Mozilla Foundation isn't much better, but Firefox has a much larger following of people who spend their time combing through new releases for crap hidden in the code. When you can't trust any of the developers, go with the one that has the largest following of privacy nerds.

Upon further review, I will not be switching to Brave.

First and foremost, it's a Chromium based browser. Chromium is the base code that Google developed for Google Chrome. By using Brave, you are essentially supporting Google. Maybe not directly, but in the "market share wars", Firefox is a drop in the bucket compared to Chromium (Chrome, MS Edge, and Opera are all Chromium). Chromium has a very dynamic code, so on any given update there could be Google spyware added. Same situation for the extensions, which come from the Chrome web store. No amount of virtue signalling from a Mozilla executive will get me to switch to a Google product.

A second problem is they claim to block trackers etc... by default, but people have found that Google and Facebook trackers are on some kind of whitelist, so they block everything except two of the largest privacy-invading companies in the world. I'm surprised Amazon isn't on the list too.

The Mozilla Foundation isn't much better, but Firefox has a much larger following of people who spend their time combing through new releases for crap hidden in the code. When you can't trust any of the developers, go with the one that has the largest following of privacy nerds.

Some of what you are saying seems correct at least at surface value. Personally, I don’t trust any of them but I will know soon enough. I consider myself pretty nerdy on the side so I like to find out as much as I can about as much as I can. I can watch Where the tracking, if any is going. The virtue signaling was simply the final straw for me. I’m still looking for the best but might be chasing the wind.

Chromium is a fully open source code that was modified into chrome by Google. Google had nothing to do with the building of chromium.
Brave uses some of the chromium code but has added active security and compartmentalization. There is no way that I am supporting googs by using brave.

wow great information! thank you!

Chromium is a fully open source code that was modified into chrome by Google. Google had nothing to do with the building of chromium.
Brave uses some of the chromium code but has added active security and compartmentalization. There is no way that I am supporting googs by using brave.
While not directly a Google product, the initial project was sponsored by Google. If they "donate" programmers to the project (as opposed to keeping that staff focused on Chrome itself), I'm willing to bet it's for the purposes of keeping the project dependent on things Google has their hand in. There's a reason privacy experts differentiate between regular Chromium and de-Googled Chromium. Thus far, I have not seen a consensus from the experts on a Chromium-based browser the same as I've seen for Firefox.

Hippo,
You can download the code and look through it if you like. Chromium was fully developed before google thought about Chrome.
It cannot be Open Source if it relies on commercial source code. On the other hand Google was able to pay for the parts of the Open Source code to make it commercial. And they will continue to pay for it as long as they use that source code or any derivative of it. That is in the Open Source agreement.

I just downloaded and switched.
Thanks to all of you.

Some of what you are saying seems correct at least at surface value. Personally, I don’t trust any of them but I will know soon enough. I consider myself pretty nerdy on the side so I like to find out as much as I can about as much as I can. I can watch Where the tracking, if any is going. The virtue signaling was simply the final straw for me. I’m still looking for the best but might be chasing the wind.

With my very limited time on here, and based only on some positive feedback in favor of Guardian, I will trust his opinion with no blame or responsibility pointed in his direction if ever a problem or hiccup is found. Quite frankly, the screenshots Guardian posted of Firefox promoting the censorship role was what made me make this decision for myself.

Thanks again.

With my very limited time on here, and based only on some positive feedback in favor of Guardian, I will trust his opinion with no blame or responsibility pointed in his direction if ever a problem or hiccup is found. Quite frankly, the screenshots Guardian posted of Firefox promoting the censorship role was what made me make this decision for myself.

Thanks again.

Welcome, you may want to introduce yourself, or not, the choice is yours :).
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/forums/introductions.3/

Hippo,
You can download the code and look through it if you like. Chromium was fully developed before google thought about Chrome.
It cannot be Open Source if it relies on commercial source code. On the other hand Google was able to pay for the parts of the Open Source code to make it commercial. And they will continue to pay for it as long as they use that source code or any derivative of it. That is in the Open Source agreement.
I'm aware of that. I thought I was pretty clear that Chrome is the Google product, and is just one version of a Chromium browser (along with Brave, Vivaldi, Edge, Opera, and a couple dozen more). I'm suggesting many of the features built into Chromium (of any flavor) can be somehow exploited by Google, or any of other internet godfather companies, to spy on the user. Again, there's a reason priv-sec experts do recommend de-Googled Chromium, but there aren't any suitable projects ready for general use on the market today.

I'm no where near savvy enough to understand source code, I got a B- in my C++ class because we were allowed a cheat sheet. That's why I rely on recommended subject matter experts to sift thru all that for me, and post their findings and opinions on the web. When a vetted and recommended Chromium browser comes to fruition, I will consider changing. My primary concern is with my data privacy, regardless of virtue signalling.

Can I use Duckduckgo with Brave?

And here I thought I was being smart going back to FireFox...!
:eyeballs:

Can I use Duckduckgo with Brave?

And here I thought I was being smart going back to FireFox...!
:eyeballs:

I have used Opera since TMT advised it about 3 years or more. Also DuckDuckGo is my search engine, wonder if I should use DDG for browser too.

Yes you can choose which search engine you want to use. You can also remove any search engine you don't want use with a couple of clicks.

Latest posts

Back