Breakfast! Big, small, or not at all?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only eat 2 meals a day. So my breakfast/lunch is between 11 and 1. It's usually a breakfast. Eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes more often than pancakes. In summer it changes a lot, melon, cantaloupe, tomatoes, fruit with bacon or an egg.

In summer quality fruits and veggies are far more available. Also, the last 20 years or so summer work was in a hayfield or picking/selling produce at the farmers market. All of it outside in the alabama summer sun. If you're going to be out in the heat heavy proteins are a very bad idea, meat was for supper.

I remember bootcamp in Aug. in Florida. At breakfast and lunch I'd tell the guys from up north to load up on fruits and veggies, stay away from red meat and carbs. They refused to listen... And they'd drop like flies out in the heat, sort of funny actually. After a couple of weeks they wised up!

True story, my grandpa used to always say “Get up in the morning, have a bowl of oatmeal and read the local paper. That way you can start the day with nothing on your mind or stomach either.” I don’t know which he thought less of, oatmeal or our local paper. He used to say “Oats are for horses” so it was probably oatmeal. He would not eat it.

Our old neighbor WW11 vet said he eats oatmeal every morning.He is Pollock and tells us his army storie.He was still loading hay at 75 all day .

My breakfast varies. When I'm out on the road for work, I tend to have a keto meal replacement bar and maybe some coffee. On rare occasions I'll have a ham and cheese sandwich on 100% whole wheat with a glass of milk. At home, depending on the day, I'll have 2 servings of Kashi protein enhanced cereal with 1% milk. Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 jumbo eggs, a sausage patty, and 1 piece of toast with a generous serving of peanut butter and just a bit of grape jelly and 12 oz. of milk. That's my protein bomb breakfast for the day after lifting weights.

Once in a while I make breakfast burritos too.

I love to cook also.
Hence why I keep taking cooking classes.
Back on exercise trail, 5 K's, low fat meals.
Both knees were hurting, fell, hurt left side from shoulder to ankle.
Oh my.Be careful glad you didi'nt do worse MoBook. Freak accidents happen,remember my being knocked down by skidding on acorns,I was lucky that one didn't do some damage. Haven't been on bike since.Like dancing on marbles.

Well somebody has to confess....

It is either just coffee or coffee and chocolate covered donuts. Sometimes powdered for a change.

Digestion and hard work don't mix with me.

Ben
I am truly jealous, because Krispy Kreme is the 8th wonder of the world. Alas, being diabetic, I can't have Krispy Kreme, or any other donuts.

Doesn't mean I don't sneak one, once in a very great while. Just one...😉

April 1st after having a phone doctors visit , my labs sucked big time, my weight was 252, and she scolded me .

Here we are May 12th, I've worked hard at keeping my daily carbs at 50 gr or less , ( why keto bread and sugar free jam for breakfast) be no ice cream , no potatoes , no bread , My weight is now at 235lbs , my glucose daily average, for 6 weeks is 94.

I got labs again in June , then a face to face with my doctor.

I'm a good patient😊.

Jim

April 1st after having a phone doctors visit , my labs sucked big time, my weight was 252, and she scolded me .

Here we are May 12th, I've worked hard at keeping my daily carbs at 50 gr or less , ( why keto bread and sugar free jam for breakfast) be no ice cream , no potatoes , no bread , My weight is now at 235lbs , my glucose daily average, for 6 weeks is 94.

I got labs again in June , then a face to face with my doctor.

I'm a good patient😊.

Jim
You’ll understand. Let me brag. I had a doctor appointment this morning. I’m a type II diabetic. Today my A1c was 6.1. 🎉

You’ll understand. Let me brag. I had a doctor appointment this morning. I’m a type II diabetic. Today my A1c was 6.1. 🎉
That's not diabetic according to my doctor's.

In Jan this year , my A1c was 6.1 , in March it was 7.2 , they went beserk.
They say I'm diabetic also.

I have the patch and monitor my glucose several times a day I'm not diabetic. 30 day average is 94.... that will come to 6.0 A1c if I continue with this diet.

Jim

Well, I am Type II. That A1c was achieved while I’ve been taking Metforman 1000 mg X 2, Glipizide 10 mg X 2 and Trulicity once a week. My highest A1c was 11.0. ☹ I guess I left that little detail out. 😇

Gotcha, yep your on those meds for a reason.

I'm not on any meds at all.

Just quit milk shakes and pies.

Jim

Back