Breaking rocks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Anyone else have some big rocks they aren't able to move or could use if only they were smaller? I know I do and now I think I know how to bust a few up thanks to this guys video.

Copy and paste

We have rock, lots of rocks. Typically I use a big sledgehammer and go to it. Most rocks up here will split after a good two dozen hits. I have some that haven’t. I will have to try that method on those I haven’t been able to split. But that will be a few months from now. They are currently buried under waste deep snow.

Thank you but why couldn't I get it to post ?
We have the software allowing quick transfer of .mov and videos. While you are watching the video, place your cursor on the video, right click, "copy video .url" and paste it into the thread you want to post it into.

WTH?
Phineas Gage, a 25-year-old railroad foreman, was setting dynamite charges on a Vermont construction site one day in 1848 when an explosion drove an inch-thick, 3 1/2-foot-long spike through his left cheek and out the front of his skull.Ap
Yup .

They had routine where explosives were placed in a drilled hole followed by packing material and then tamped with a tamping rod and repeated. The packing was used to prevent sparks from the tamping rod setting of the explosives.

Phineas got ahead the the game and 5he explosion drove 5ge tamping rod through his head. Prior to the accident he was a good upright citizen. After he was a drunkard etc.

His case inspired frontal lobotomies as a thing.

Ben

rock sledge hammer...its a sledge with a wedge shaped front used for busting apart rock...look it up.

A maul on steroids huh Elk!

After the beating the one rock I have in mind gave me I am thoroughly looking forward to blowing it to bits! My loads should be here soon. . .

you and a bunch of others just wanna play...lol.

just a reminder..don't put ya eye out kidd...!!

So when I saw the video I wondered why the guy hardened the shaft on his punch to fire the load. Now I know it was so the rock didn't raise burrs on the metal of the shaft keeping it from going in. How do I know? Because I have two stuck and bent long before they reached the loads. So tomorrow I will try tapering the shaft and maybe hardening it. Although I doubt what I have has enough carbon to harden without some extra carbon added to case harden. Trying to think what I might have around here that would be close to the right size and hard enough. Nothing comes to mind. I don't want to fool around with trying to case harden if I can avoid it.

Latest posts

Back