Bringing a new genny home

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A new 10000w dual fuel propane or gasoline unit, now I just need to figure out how to unload it from the back of my truck!!! The specs say it will run 9.1 hrs at half load on one gallon of gas or 7.7 on propane. If I have calculated correctly that means with a 500 gal propane tank at a run time of 12 hrs a day the tank will in theory last almost 60 days. I am fortunate that the house is already wired for an standby or emergency generator. I also have a roof section that faces south and is the perfect size for a future solar panel addition,but that is in the future right now I need a backup power source to ensure that we can get water to the house from the well . I have a smaller generator but the well pump runs on 240V.

I had a Honda 3300w years ago and used it for over a week when hurricane Opal came thru and blew down so many trees. That genset was old when I got it and one side of the 220 would only produce 109V, you could use the 120V plugs with no problem. It had a six gallon fuel tank and it would run forever, I ran extension cords to fridge and freezer, lights or even electric griddle to cook not at the same time tho. At night a lot of the neighborhood kids would come over as I would run the power to the TV and the grownups would catch up on the news and the kids could watch a movie or some show for two hours.

Sweet, I have an 8K generator that puts out 240V and a 2K generator that puts out 120V. I want to get tri-fuel kits for each of them. If the power goes out I can run everything on natural gas until it disappears.

I've been waiting on one tool for the last month to build my 48V battery system. I have a 48V charger and as soon as the battery bank is finished I'll be looking for an inverter for 48V to 240V, any suggestions would be appreciated. The 2K, gas sipping, generator should power the charger until I can get the solar panels installed.

A generator is on my wish list. What I wonder is if you had no other means to have power to your home, how big of a generator would you need? Could you use a generator and charge batteries, and have the generator self regulate so that you always had power without having to start it and shut it down?

This talk of generators reminds me to start and run mine soon again.

Cool adapter. I never knew they had something simple like that. Mine is already wired up.

I try to run mine when I get home every 2 weeks or so. I need to build a wood box around mine and insulate it so I can put a 100watt bulb under motor, to keep it warm enough to start it when it goes below freezing. It's a wussy of a generator when it freezes lol.

I only learned of this device a few weeks ago on a local FB page.

We have a 6k gender. Puts out 110 or 220, I have used it in the past few summers when the power goes out for a few hours. Have it hooked up to the fridge, freezer and a few lights. There is a adapter that I want to get. I'm not endorsing this one but this is the type of adapter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLink-30-Amp-Meter-Mounted-Transfer-Switch-MA23-N/301961623?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D27E|27-3_EXT_CORD-WORKLIGHT-SURGE|NA|PLA|71700000034239050|58700003946878360|92700031956748117&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4vPj3knDp7nvGJCXQ-22OexO7sir-CF-36HttgcI4WmilmhV77BayUaApzXEALw_wcB

Seems really easy to use.
Yes, that is what I would want.

A new 10000w dual fuel propane or gasoline unit, now I just need to figure out how to unload it from the back of my truck!!! The specs say it will run 9.1 hrs at half load on one gallon of gas or 7.7 on propane. If I have calculated correctly that means with a 500 gal propane tank at a run time of 12 hrs a day the tank will in theory last almost 60 days. I am fortunate that the house is already wired for an standby or emergency generator. I also have a roof section that faces south and is the perfect size for a future solar panel addition,but that is in the future right now I need a backup power source to ensure that we can get water to the house from the well . I have a smaller generator but the well pump runs on 240V.
Cherry picker/ engine hoist?

I have an engine hoist...but it has not followed me home from the storage unit, Lazy stuff they just sit in that building and wait for me to load it up and transport it all the way up here THEN I have to unload it and even give it a place to stay......... Ungrateful equipment, you would figure after spending all that money on them that at least some of them could do something on their own!!!

I'm so glad we have our whole house backup diesel generator. So handy to have

Yes Eu2000, I did have to spend $50 on it to it to get it going again. Still it was a good deal.
I spent four times the for mine, you did great. I'd like to get another and the cable to tie them together. That'd give me the option of 2K or 4K with my 8K in reserve.

A four legged Jenny is just another form of "stand by power source" . It just has a different fuel and produces a different exaust! Plus it's output would only equal a little under 800w.

... now I just need to figure out how to unload it from the back of my truck!!! ...

Got a tree limb? If yes back the truck bed under the tree. Throw a rope up and over the limb. One end of the rope is tried to the generator and then other end to a tracter, riding lawn mower or another vehicle. Just make sure what ever motorized thing you anchor the generator to weights more then the generator, pull until the generator is off the truck bed to clear. Drive the truck out and then lower the generator.

Cool!
Wonder what the Electric Company will say about the adapter since the meter head is no longer within the metal box "protected" by the tamper seal?

Last edited:
Cool!
Wonder what the Electric Company will say about the adapter since the meter head is no lonerg within the metal box "protected" by the tamper seal?
The power company would have to install the adaptor as they are the only ones allowed to break the seal.

I got a 4'' long machine threaded eye bolt with half inch shank drilled thru the 2/ 10 floor joist under the deck and bolted the eye in and used the cargo straps around the box and a web strap ratchet come along, lifted it off the bed then drove the truck from under then ratcheted the genset to the floor... and "waller" there it was.

When I lived in an area with frequent power outages I had a generator.
Where I live now we really don't need one.
We have lost power for less then 8 hours in 10 years.
Once was when a squirrel shorted out the line and once when the power pole caught fire and burnt the top of the pole off.
A couple times when someone hit a power pole.
When I did use a generator I made a suicide extension cord.
It had a male plug on both ends.
I would just shut off the main breaker feeding my house and plug the cord into a wall outlet and then into my generator.
Made sure to plug it into the outlet before plugging it into the generator.
Very unsafe but it worked well.
I could power up one side of the house depending on which outlet I plugged into.
If you don't turn off the main breaker you can give the repair guys a nasty shock.
They will be very unhappy and your power may never come back on.

The power company would have to install the adaptor as they are the only ones allowed to break the seal.
Things might have changed but occasionally to do wiring at home a person must break the seal to remove the meter to cut all power. Some time back I had to do this so I called our electric company. They told me to go ahead the meter reader would install a new seal when he came around again. Likely wat different now with the smart meters.

When I did use a generator I made a suicide extension cord.
It had a male plug on both ends.
I would just shut off the main breaker feeding my house and plug the cord into a wall outlet and then into my generator.
Made sure to plug it into the outlet before plugging it into the generator.
Very unsafe but it worked well.
I could power up one side of the house depending on which outlet I plugged into.
If you don't turn off the main breaker you can give the repair guys a nasty shock.
They will be very unhappy and your power may never come back on.
My approach is similar with these differences.
Instead of a wall outlet, I use 240v plugs so it powers up the whole house (both sides of the breaker box).
I have a couple different plugs but I mainly use the one in my shop since it's 150' away from the house so the genset noise isn't so bad at the house.

OK, I officially spend too much time on here.
I read your post title "Bringing a new genny home" and I thought you had bought a new mule.
Then I realized you spelt it genny, as in generator, not jenny as in a female mule.

I thought the same thing.

Instead of a wall outlet, I use 240v plugs so it powers up the whole house (both sides of the breaker box).
I have a couple different plugs but I mainly use the one in my shop since it's 150' away from the house so the genset noise isn't so bad at the house.
My generator was way to small to power the entire house.
It was mainly to keep a couple lights on and the pellet stove running.
I have a generator in the motor home so we could just move in that if we lose power now.

I do the same thing. I have a red dot on the circuit breakers that can be left on to be powered by the generator. The remaining breakers I turn off. When the neighbor's night light comes back on I know the Electric Utility has their power restored.

Latest posts

Back