Broilers over 5000ft.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last place we lived in Colorado was at 8,100 feet elevation, cooking was a challenge when we first moved there due to water boiling at so much lower temps, baking things in the oven were also very different, so it only figures that boilers are just not going to be running as efficiently as they would at lower elevations. It actually took me about a year to get used to the higher elevations, but when I did, I really liked hiking, hunting and fishing at elevations up to and sometimes over 13,000 feet.

The last place we lived in Colorado was at 8,100 feet elevation, cooking was a challenge when we first moved there due to water boiling at so much lower temps, baking things in the oven were also very different, so it only figures that boilers are just not going to be running as efficiently as they would at lower elevations. It actually took me about a year to get used to the higher elevations, but when I did, I really liked hiking, hunting and fishing at elevations up to and sometimes over 13,000 feet.

Bread has been a challenge. I bought a book called Baking at High Altitudes and finally got it right. They have the recipe with the adjustments needed for the different elevations listed right in the recipes.

My neighbors want some but they haven't started a coop yet. They are working on their greenhouse first.

Yep. They do. And I'm trying to convince the son to stop planting the greens all over because I need to paint that room. He's in moving denial. He came in with his mask on today, and planted 2 more flats. In the house. Not the greenhouse.

Darn... I need a half dozen hens... :( Just the gas money for a 3000 mile drive would make them the most expensive chickens ever! Heck, I could camp out at the Colonel's place for a month on that kind of money...

Latest posts

Back