Bug in plan....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
http://www.askaprepper.com/is-a-veterans-shtf-bug-in-plan-similar-to-yours/

Excerpt: "A couple of weeks ago we put the cat among the pigeons by asking if bugging out was always the best idea. Sometimes it is – but a lot of the time you have a better chance of surviving the S hitting the fan if you stay right where you are. That’s why we think a bug-in plan is also a key element of your preparations. If you can stay right where you are you avoid the effort and danger of a move through a collapsing society, and you keep access to all the resources and tools that your home contains."

We don't plan on bugging out, in fact we are expecting kids and their families to head our way if something was to happen. We have all that we need to survive. It's just keeping others from finding us. We've had a couple friends over who said they had no idea we even had that much because most you can not see as soon as you come in the drive.

My house holds a heck of a lot more stores than I can carry.

I do have bug-out locations that are stocked. But unless staying home is more threatening than leaving it and being on foot or driving, I'll be staying home.

I have no bug out option.
I will only leave if the house becomes unlivable.
Then I will just become one of the hoards looking to survive and probably failing.
I think the reality of TEOTWAWKI is most people will not survive the first few weeks or months.
Life will revert to the law of the jungle and only the most ruthless savages will live.
If you are not willing, or able to kill everyone that is even the slightest threat you will not make it.

Since none of us knows what SHTF could really be like, we may not have a choice. What if there was a fire in your area and you HAD to evacuate? There are a few things that could force us to evacuate, even if we don't want to.

Personally, I am a homebody. I would LOVE to bug-in. I live in a metropolitan area and bugging out could be as bad as bugging in. Timing is everything when bugging out or evacuating. The journey anywhere could be deadly.

Since none of us knows what SHTF could really be like, we may not have a choice. What if there was a fire in your area and you HAD to evacuate? There are a few things that could force us to evacuate, even if we don't want to.

Personally, I am a homebody. I would LOVE to bug-in. I live in a metropolitan area and bugging out could be as bad as bugging in. Timing is everything when bugging out or evacuating. The journey anywhere could be deadly.

If somebody even has a campfire here I leave! :ghostly:. Or at least start packing up. This place hasn't burned for at least 75 years. And it was even worse before we sold some pines fro pulpwood. The state said pine beetles were loose here and if they found one beetle on anyones property it would cost$10,000 a tree to take it down. :mad: So no more pretty little pine forest.

There's nowhere on this planet that I feel more safe than home.

With the exception of something that would destroy my home (fire, flood, tornado, etc.) I'd stay put. We do have the option of taking the camper elsewhere if needed but there would have to be some extenuating circumstances for that to happen. Otherwise it could serve as an extra place for someone in the family to stay if they came to us, especially those relatives that drive you nuts!:confused:

In California (with the fires) it may have been necessary to hook up the camper and go. Just imagine if you had only an hour or so notice of impending fire or flood. You could quickly stock up the camper and go. If properly motivated, I can get a lot done in an hour. If nothing else at least you'd have a place to sleep when you got to safer grounds and you could certainly haul a lot more stuff than if you just had your vehicle. Although if I was in California right now, I'd have the camper already stocked and ready to go, so that at the first signal of impending evacuation orders, you could get your butt outta there before everyone else started jamming up the roads.

With the exception of something that would destroy my home (fire, flood, tornado, etc.) I'd stay put. We do have the option of taking the camper elsewhere if needed but there would have to be some extenuating circumstances for that to happen. Otherwise it could serve as an extra place for someone in the family to stay if they came to us, especially those relatives that drive you nuts!:confused:

In California (with the fires) it may have been necessary to hook up the camper and go. Just imagine if you had only an hour or so notice of impending fire or flood. You could quickly stock up the camper and go. If properly motivated, I can get a lot done in an hour. If nothing else at least you'd have a place to sleep when you got to safer grounds and you could certainly haul a lot more stuff than if you just had your vehicle. Although if I was in California right now, I'd have the camper already stocked and ready to go, so that at the first signal of impending evacuation orders, you could get your butt outta there before everyone else started jamming up the roads.

I so agree with you. I knew a family that evacuated in Colorado with a large sized RV. If I had a camper or RV, it would be ready to go at all times, stocked with food, water, fuel, clothing, gear and anything else you would potentially need.

We have the van, pickup,boat and utility trailer and several tents so we are ok. We plan to put the solar on the utility trailer and camoflauge it.

bugging in is the best policy, we have 4 solid walls and a roof and all our supplies are around us.
will only leave if its not safe to stay here, but we are so far out that's not going to happen.
we have a prepper saying over here: "don't become a refugee!" once you leave that's what you will become.

Back