Building a "Large" Food "SMOOOKER" Thingie.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So I am up for a "next" build project. (Mother of "all" meat poles is nearly complete) I have a 500 gallon "Virgin" fuel tank, that has been setting around for 20 years unused. So I keep looking at it thinking that it would not take a lot of effort to turn it into a "very large" smoker for salmon and moose meat. I do wish forum member "Elkhound" lived closer.

I have figured out that it will not work. Because once the door is cut into the tank, it will weaken the tank to greatly. Once again living with large monsters is the problem.

@Sourdough we would put up an electric fence and turn them.

wish i lived closer to help and be a part of it. built a large one down in island area and it worked great...chicken wire on inside for large racks to hold meat.

Last edited:
@Sourdough we would put up an electric fence and turn them.

wish i lived closer to help and be a part of it. built a large one down in island area and it worked great...chicken wire on inside for large racks to hold meat.

Yes indeed to that electric fence!!!! That smoker thing would be a bear magnet for sure.

If I lived where giant bears on steroids live, I would be electric fencing a large part of where I live. Knowing me, I would be installing a DOUBLE fence with a buffer zone in between just for extra insurance. I also wouldn't want the smoker anywhere near me and would fence that area as well.

Sourdough, I just don't understand how you managed to live there for 50+ years among Coastal Brown Bears and Grizzlies that are thicker than fleas on a junkyard dog...and still manage to take a crap. The pucker factor would be just too high for the sphincter muscles of most mortals to turn loose a normal turd. So in my humble opinion, you are just not a normal human, but an intense badass.

Especially to contemplate this project in supermonsta bear territory. :oops:

Latest posts

Back