Building My Leanto

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Well, I'm going to try to follow and post the building of my 14x30 ft Lean To,

Here is day day one before starting..

IMG_20171211_085356588.jpg
IMG_20171211_085405796.jpg
IMG_20171211_085625783.jpg

Jim

We now have proof you're really going to do it now.

Are you going to stop it before the stove pipe or are you going to have to cut an opening for it?

A lean to, meaning the framing material will go down a 45 degree slope down to the earth? If so, how about building 8' walls and have the roof slope to the top of the framing, so all your space is usable?
In this neck of the woods any structure built off the side would be a lean to. My latest was 8x8x8

We now have proof you're really going to do it now.
Are you going to stop it before the stove pipe or are you going to have to cut an opening for it?

Robin, the shed will stop about 3 feet before it gets to the crooked stove pipe.:)

A lean to, meaning the framing material will go down a 45 degree slope down to the earth? If so, how about building 8' walls and have the roof slope to the top of the framing, so all your space is usable?

Like BoB said ,
In this part of the country, any thing off the side of another building is refered to as a Lean To.

It will be 8ft at lowest point and approx 11 ft high , where it will attach to the existing building.

Jim

When you get to that point, I'd like to see how it attaches to the side of the existing building. Never paid attention or gave it much thought until you started this new project. And I get curious about stuff like that.

Yes, I know, I'm weird.

When you get to that point, I'd like to see how it attaches to the side of the existing building. Never paid attention or gave it much thought until you started this new project. And I get curious about stuff like that.

Yes, I know, I'm weird.

Your not weird....
That's a perfectly understandable question.

I'll tell ya how.

There are runners that run horizontal from front to rear of the building up the side , every 2 feet,

I will attach a 2x6 to the one that is at 11 ft high , thru the metal , to the outside of the wall.....30 ft long,
and then place joist hangers every 3 feet( its just a shed), to set the rafters in.

I will cut a slot in the metal just above the 30 ft, 2x6,
and use gembreil 6"x8" flashing thru the slot and lay(screw) on top of the new roof of lean to, to prevent water from running down the joining wall..

Clear as mud???o_O:)

Jim

This is a perfect example of how much of a visual learner I am. I reread the first line multiple times and I think I got that but then it just went backwards from there. Basically you're putting up a rim joist to mount the 2X6's to?

OK, I am starting see what you're talking about. That's actually a pretty keen idea on how you're doing the flashing.

Pics to follow. I hope.

Following this build closely. I have a 24x40 shed that looks almost identical to yours. Man door on mine is closer to the slider. Was your's put up by Blitz builders?

I want to add a 14 or 16 x 40 lean-to on mine. I am very interested in how you tie your rafters in. Your plan sounds somewhat different that what I was thinking. So I really want to see how yours goes. The slope of my land is even similar to mine.

Was your's put up by Blitz builders?

No, never heard of Blitz Builders in my area.
A friend and I built the existing pole building 20 years ago.
It is a 30' wide x 40' long with 14' high sides.

Just needed a lean to, to park my truck + a little extra space.
It takes up too much room in my garage.

I will try to get pics as we go along here,
My friend (in the pics), is doing the heavy work, I'm his gofer...:rolleyes::D

Jim

Needless to say, with 30 mph winds , temps around 35 degrees,
AND...tomorrow in the 50s,

Not much done today..
Plus had lots to do today, running around.

But got one header up and , laid out where to place beam on barn side.
Gotta cut the post tops, and back fill the cement holes,

Eh ...tomorrow, No rush.

day2-3.jpg

Jim

At least you won't be out there cooking trying to do that in the middle of Summer.

Worked inside this morning ..the wind outside is crazy..

So I got the reinforcement done to where the outside header beam will attach to the 2x6 inside with bolts and screws,
tied those 2 2x4 s together with blocks , for extra weight bearing strength, used all salvaged materials.

Overkill ? maybe, but better safe than sorry.

Taking a lunch break.

inside.jpg

inside2.jpg

Jim

Overkill is good as long as you use screws and not nails. Friends of my hub's parents built a cover over their TT and put about 50 pounds of nails in the rafters they built. When it was time to take it down, let's just say there was a lot of cussing happening.

Got all the reinforcement done inside,

Put the outside header beam in place using 4 1/2" #10 screws ever 20" (or every other rib) and then drilled and installed 6, 1/2" x 5" carriage bolts for shear strength.

Both beams are ready to start setting rafters and joist hangers tomorrow.

The metal is suppose to be delivered tomorrow.

beam5.jpg
beam4.jpg
beam.jpg

Jim

No sleep for you tonight. You'll have all those rafters up before you get up in the morning.

Today was a very cold day, High temp 37 degrees.
But no wind.
Fairly productive day.. The metal didn't arrive, they say tomorrow morning.
We got the slot cut in the wall above the header , to slip the flashing in,
and all rafters are up,
The wall runners are up, will build end wall and lay the roof purlins in the morning,

joist2.jpg
joist3.jpg
joist.jpg

Jim

Latest posts

Back