BULL!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
After a year of looking I found a Dexter bull calf! I'm so excited! He won't be weaned until Nov but that's ok. Did I mention how excited I am??!!

Attachments

• received_139982888161433.jpeg
    received_139982888161433.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 24
  • received_498135301285866.jpeg
    received_498135301285866.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 22
Got it. I figured maybe he'd be used for breeding larger heifers since Dexter's are known for throwing small calves...

Nope. I wanted a pair of milk cows and everything larger gives far more than we need. The cow we have now gives us right at a gallon every morning.

We bought a Dexter bull calf last summer to breed our two Dexter heifers. I still wonder if he's tall enough to do the job. The girls are about 2.5 years old and he's about 16 months IIRC. So far no bullying problems but when I'm in the pen working sometimes he puts his head down low and scuffs that left front foot like he's getting ready to charge. I pray he never does. If he does I hope I can draw and shoot before he gets to me! If so he will do straight to freezer camp. If not . . . . .

I never go into a pen with a loose male. Bull, goat or whatever. I've seen people get hurt that way. My buck wore a collar and I'd call him to the fence/tie post and snap a rope on him before I'd go in. He was bottle raised and just wanted to play but at 180lbs he'd hurt you without trying to.

I am curious how a Dexter cow would do in the heat. We are looking to move in a year to East Texas-ish and I am familiar with the climate in the area we want to move (grew up in Rowlett when it was just one road and a 7-11)

I never go into a pen with a loose male. Bull, goat or whatever. I've seen people get hurt that way. My buck wore a collar and I'd call him to the fence/tie post and snap a rope on him before I'd go in. He was bottle raised and just wanted to play but at 180lbs he'd hurt you without trying to.

Nice Bull, got very nice bone structure.

Better safe than sorry going in pens. I've had to go in pens many times when working cattle... when I didn't want too. But even a gentle bull can hurt you. I had ribs broken once by a bull that just wanted me to scratch his ears, he was like a 2300lb puppy.

I am curious how a Dexter cow would do in the heat. We are looking to move in a year to East Texas-ish and I am familiar with the climate in the area we want to move (grew up in Rowlett when it was just one road and a 7-11)
Dexters do just fine even in south Texas. Only thing we really have to watch out for is dark colored cavles born in the heat of summer.

Nice Bull, got very nice bone structure.

Better safe than sorry going in pens. I've had to go in pens many times when working cattle... when I didn't want too. But even a gentle bull can hurt you. I had ribs broken once by a bull that just wanted me to scratch his ears, he was like a 2300lb puppy.
Yeah we have one of those 2400lb Holstein "puppies". He sure is "gentle" but he doesn't know his own strength. Hunny goes out and pets all over him, sits on Charlies's nose to get lifted up and down and side to side. Hunny says Charlie is just giving him a "ride". While walking from our house to the rent side of the property he likes to follow us and even gives a gentle nudge on the backside. I've seen him do the nudge on hunny once that made him fly forward. . . You always got to be on your toes working with cattle.

Distance I believe is why I couldn't get anyone to show up. We are way off the beaten path. Plus we only have two heifers so probably not much worth their while.

I believe they are both pregnant now. They are mighty wide in the belly anyway. lol

Distance I believe is why I couldn't get anyone to show up. We are way off the beaten path. Plus we only have two heifers so probably not much worth their while.

I believe they are both pregnant now. They are mighty wide in the belly anyway. lol
Sounds like you may having a couple calves soon. . . :) Keep an eye on their bags, once they get full, look out for discharge. Normally the day of or the day before you will see their tails make an "S".

Watch your cows and especially the calves. Some will not feed especially first time mommas. The bull calf that was just born, well we know how momma takes care of her calves, on her 3rd now. . . This is why we knick named her Bad Momma, although her official name was Holly, since she was a Dec 23th baby. We ended up tying her up yesterday so we could get her colostrum, but also put the baby into the isolation pen to bottle feed. We would normally tie her up and milk her out but since my hours at work have increased to full time, I don't have that much time in my schedule hasving to milk her out 2 times a day. So we are now having to raise this bull calf on milk replacer,

Good luck Dani!
It's reality, . . . Most all of our cows tend to be very good mommas, so far Bad Momma is the exception. Just nee to keep a watch out b4ecause you never know. I would honestly love to take Bad Momma to the auction barn because I get very tired trying to keep up with a rejected baby, everything else around here and full time work.

Back