"BUNGEE" Cord Connectors, and "STUFF".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I want to make bungee cord into large rubber bands. Also, I need a way finish the cut ends. I tried fire.....Failure. maybe some kind of epoxy. With 550 cord I just use fire on the cut ends. Some of the pants I have recently purchased have closures at bottom of leg. They came with shoelaces to tie the leg closed. I want to replace with 1/8" bungee cord.

the rubber part of the bungee will just burn or dry and flake if it is heated, the sheath would melt like you want. some sort of mechanical locking device and a knot is
1707836455707.png
about all you can do,
1707836429372.png

ditch the bungee cord idea and go with material like surgical tubing/slingshot bands..the round ones. you will have to figure out length you want and then use the crimp and tool to hold it...you could do a diy type thing with metal and set of crimps like on electric pliers or on bolt cutter/fencing cutters with crimp nob on the tool.

If you're blousing your boots skip all the closures, straps or bands- fold your pants once horizontally and roll them up to form a small band and cover with your sock, cover with boot and wrap your laces a full wrap around the top- this will not only hold you blousings in place more reliably than any other method, but will create a gasket that keeps everything out- chiggers, ticks, debris dirt- all of it.

Concerning bungee cord- if you cut it with a sharp blade a tiny bit of fire will seal the outer sheathing material- hut obviously not the rubber. I would dip in liquid rubber or use heat shrink tubing to finish the ends.

I received 66 feet of 1/8" (.125) OD Bungee cord yesterday. Please understand this pair of pants is "NOT" everyday wear. They sell for $225.00 a pair, and I got one of the last pair (from FILSON) for 1/2 off.

This is my, march into "HELL" pants.

Or when the bears "chow-down" on my used-up skin-bag.

If you're blousing your boots skip all the closures, straps or bands- fold your pants once horizontally and roll them up to form a small band and cover with your sock, cover with boot and wrap your laces a full wrap around the top- this will not only hold you blousings in place more reliably than any other method, but will create a gasket that keeps everything out- chiggers, ticks, debris dirt- all of it.

Concerning bungee cord- if you cut it with a sharp blade a tiny bit of fire will seal the outer sheathing material- hut obviously not the rubber. I would dip in liquid rubber or use heat shrink tubing to finish the ends.
That look was cool in the 80’s 😉

That look was cool in the 80’s 😉

Haha don't get me started on how incorrectly the millitary blouses their boots. Going back at least as far as the 60s it was more about the look than it was the function. These guys used to use linoleum tiles, pennies, cardboard various bands, tapes and straps so that their pants looked even and perfectly crisp at the top of their boot. I wouldn't consider it a sustainable regiment for types like myself who avoid parades and spend time in the field constantly.
post-34986-0-88027600-1475722094_thumb.jpg
post-34986-0-61237200-1475722044_thumb.jpg

Just absurd- Ive never been a fan of social rituals anyways... The regular guys stuck to straps or haphazardly tucked them into the boots without forming the all important gasket.

What this tell me is these guys didn't actually spend any time in chigger infested forests- and if they did they avoided doing anything serious off trail and/or relied on chemicals.

when I first moved down south I learned such lessons the hardway. In the longterm wilderness game you cannot rely on chemicals- so finding a sustainable physical method of protecting my legs from chiggers became a major priority. I have quite a bit of scarring from those lessons... so yeah, I actually reccomend blousing with a gasket because I spend the majority if my time off trail. I could list other benefits- but seriously that is the only legit effective method which removes one's reliance on storebought consumables that I've found.

2 steps ahead of me as I too was about to say this. We called the blousing straps.
Oh, and when we needed a quick substitute, we did just use heavy rubber bands. ;)
Yes, amazon has them, used them n SCNG forty-five years ago.

Not to derail this thread, but some soldiers wore these in the wood on bivouac. Also on Amazon for redbugs too.
1708705693378.png

I'm getting some ideas here on how to remedy my sweat pants problem! I swear they must have made the pair I have with 46" legs. I currently have huge cuffs rolled in them, affixed with a bunch of safety pins. I get lots of people staring in envy (I think) when I walk into the grocery store wearing those.

Latest posts

Back