Bunkers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I will never have one, but a girl can dream! I do like to look at what people's ideas are for bunkers. I have always been fascinated by what people have done for shelter, to survive whether it be log cabins, dugouts, caves, whatever. We have no idea what the future holds for any of us, but having ideas may help us survive. I don't live worrying about it every day, I am just interested in what other people think and do.

I know that some people consider them death traps.

Today, this video popped up. I am aware of this place, where the bunkers are, but have never been there. It is close to Edgemont, SD, and Edgemont is a place I am familiar with. It happens to be a place where I usually buy gas when I am driving from Colorado to western S.D. My cousin was married to a girl from there. Edgemont has a population of 716 people. There is not much close there, just wide open spaces for miles and miles.

I agree, Weedy. I enjoy seeing the designs, and some of the things people put in them. I am in the same boat where it is just a fun pipe dream. For me, first and foremost is expense. I certainly don't have that much disposable capital. If I did, I wouldn't spend it on a bunker. It would be put to better use on other preps. Another major concern is location. Edgemont SD? O.K. if you live there. If the world is in a situation where you need a bunker, good luck getting to Edgemont SD, or anywhere else for that matter. I know they have huge bunker communities in God-Knows-Where, Kansas. Seriously? What are you going to do? Drive up and valet park? If I had a bunker, it would be ON my property.

Another concern is airflow. There has to be an air exchange, or you die. Something has to be vented to the outside which to me is an Achilles Heel. If the bad guys want to force you out they plug up the vents. Maybe someone with more experience with bunkers can explain how you can make it work safely and securely. Another part of air quality is mold. Bunkers are almost always underground. Mold proliferates in those environments, and my wife is deathly allergic to mold. It wreaks havoc with her asthma. There are times when she can't go into our basement when the mold count is high.

If I ever did it I would make the whole thing from reinforced concrete. I have seen the metal tubular designs float out of the pit or hole when the watershed rises. Made quite a mess, and was very expensive to fix. Again, JMHO but there are more negatives than positives, but it is fun to dream.

I have (ahem!) a years worth of experience with bunkers of the sandbag type.
Of the type with firing apertures and fronted with concertina razor wire and command detonated mines, and with the strictly defensive type for protection against incoming artillery.

In a combat zone base camp, deep in Indian Country, they can be, and were, life savers.
Here, in America, if things ever did get really bad, I personally would prefer freedom of movement.

I must admit, that living in hurricane central the thought of something akin to a tornado shelter has crossed my mind.

Last edited:
I agree, Weedy. I enjoy seeing the designs, and some of the things people put in them. I am in the same boat where it is just a fun pipe dream. For me, first and foremost is expense. I certainly don't have that much disposable capital. If I did, I wouldn't spend it on a bunker. It would be put to better use on other preps. Another major concern is location. Edgemont SD? O.K. if you live there. If the world is in a situation where you need a bunker, good luck getting to Edgemont SD, or anywhere else for that matter. I know they have huge bunker communities in God-Knows-Where, Kansas. Seriously? What are you going to do? Drive up and valet park? If I had a bunker, it would be ON my property.

Another concern is airflow. There has to be an air exchange, or you die. Something has to be vented to the outside which to me is an Achilles Heel. If the bad guys want to force you out they plug up the vents. Maybe someone with more experience with bunkers can explain how you can make it work safely and securely. Another part of air quality is mold. Bunkers are almost always underground. Mold proliferates in those environments, and my wife is deathly allergic to mold. It wreaks havoc with her asthma. There are times when she can't go into our basement when the mold count is high.

If I ever did it I would make the whole thing from reinforced concrete. I have seen the metal tubular designs float out of the pit or hole when the watershed rises. Made quite a mess, and was very expensive to fix. Again, JMHO but there are more negatives than positives, but it is fun to dream.
Engineer 775 installed one.

Solved all of those issues plus internet access.

Ben

I have a conex that I use on my job as soon as this job is over I'm bringing it home and poking it in the ground.

NO!!
Containers are designed to bear weight on the vertical corners.
If you bury them the chances are very good the walls will collapse inward, the walls are the weakest point.

NO!!
Containers are designed to bear weight on the vertical corners.
If you bury them the chances are very good the walls will collapse inward, the walls are the weakest point.

I have given that quite a bit of thought, I'm pretty sure I can make it work. I'm no engineer but I've built a hell of a lot of buildings over the last 35 years.

Joel Skousen is the man when it comes to modern bunkers... he has good advice for those interested in building a bunker. He covers everything from access to HEPA filters, in a way easy for folks to understand. You might find some of his videos on the web, I know his books are excellent guides. :)

Seventeen minute video with Canadian prepper and the head of Atlas Bunkers. Ever hear that there is a bunker underneath Denver International Airport? According to this guy, it is large enough and equipped for 500,000 people. Seven countries contributed to the building of it. How would the worlds elite get there before TEOTWAWKI happens? Maybe they will be informed of an event that is planned out. There is enough food stored to keep the people there fed for 3 years. That has to be part of why the airport was $14 billion over budget.

Seventeen minute video with Canadian prepper and the head of Atlas Bunkers. Ever hear that there is a bunker underneath Denver International Airport? According to this guy, it is large enough and equipped for 500,000 people. Seven countries contributed to the building of it. How would the worlds elite get there before TEOTWAWKI happens? Maybe they will be informed of an event that is planned out. There is enough food stored to keep the people there fed for 3 years. That has to be part of why the airport was $14 billion over budget.

I would think that it would have cost more than 14 billion, even considering the cost of building it back then...

I have a conex that I use on my job as soon as this job is over I'm bringing it home and poking it in the ground.
Old school buses are better, I’ve heard. Reinforced roofs, some other safety features. There was a story a while back about a guy close to the border US/Canada who built a community of buses underground. A life’s work, and did seem pretty well thought out.
Yes. Just googled it. 42 buses near Toronto.

Old school buses are better, I’ve heard. Reinforced roofs, some other safety features. There was a story a while back about a guy close to the border US/Canada who built a community of buses underground. A life’s work, and did seem pretty well thought out.
Yes. Just googled it. 42 buses near Toronto.
My back yard neighbor buried a school bus a couple years back and every once in a while I peek over the fence to see if it's caved in yet. About 2 years in it's still a flat stretch of dirt, even after him driving his tree removal lift truck over it a couple of times...

Engineer 775 installed one.

Solved all of those issues plus internet access.

Ben

IMHO a static position (bunker) is long term viable ONLY if concealed. Engineer 775 a person(s) could destroy the electric power meter, cut the line for the solar and plug the exhaust for the generator. All external components that the bunker occupants have no control over. Then patiently wait for the occupants to exit.

Purpose is to wait out the two to three weeks for radiation levels to drop sure. Longer term only for a command post with external security.

Last edited:
Ever hear that there is a bunker underneath Denver International Airport? According to this guy, it is large enough and equipped for 500,000 people

I had heard that. I have also heard they are not alone. There are supposedly other airports with similar Doomsday Bunkers, but it would be difficult to vet. They are supposed to be top secret. Yeah right. Like the Greenbriar. You can bet the ranch there is a system in place for COG, Continuity of Government.

I had heard that. I have also heard they are not alone. There are supposedly other airports with similar Doomsday Bunkers, but it would be difficult to vet. They are supposed to be top secret. Yeah right. Like the Greenbriar. You can bet the ranch there is a system in place for COG, Continuity of Government.
I know that when I was doing more flying, it seemed that every airport that I flew through had construction going on. It may have just been remodeling and updating, but any time there is construction going on, there is the opportunity to develop or add to bunkers in places like airports or even cities. There are known tunnels in many large cities, and these could be used to access "secret" government bunkers. Remember 9/11 when Dick Cheney went into a bunker somewhere relative to the White House? Supposedly, there is a large facility for top ranking Americans in West Virginia.

IMHO a static position (bunker) is long term viable ONLY if concealed. Engineer 775 a person(s) could destroy the electric power meter, cut the line for the solar and plug the exhaust for the generator. All external components that the bunker occupants have no control over. Then patiently wait for the occupants to exit.

Purpose is to wait out the two to three weeks for radiation levels to drop sure. Longer term only for a command post with external security.
Even if it was for shorter term such as radiation, it could potentially save lives. I would never want to be in one long term.

This one was done mostly for entertainment purposes, but his engineering is fairly solid and it's still standing 6 years later. He also recently added tunnels connecting all of it:.

It's definitely an entertaining watch, Colin is one of my favorite YouTubers...

He is a wild and crazy guy. He built his bunker, put a shed over the entrance, and more recently has built a tunnel from his house to the bunker.

I agree with the reinforced concrete. If a person had access to construction equipment and could dig a hole in the ground, then you could frame it up for concrete, reinforce with metal, pour concrete, heavy steel beams across the top with a strong roof, quality entrance, whether it be a shed and or a tunnel, cover it all back up and plant grass. Just dreaming!

If the nukes start flying most likely you won't have time to get in it, so I have decided it's probably pointless We have a perfectly good concrete and dirt on 3 sides basement that would be a good fallout shelter, but what's the point if the nukes can reach US in minutes and most likely TPTB won't warn us anyway. By the time you see the bright flash it will be too late to get in the bunker /shelter

By the time you see the bright flash it will be too late to get in the bunker /shelter

Hopefully you don't see the bright flash or you may not see anything again. Depending on how far you are from ground zero, and the size of the bomb you probably have more of a chance than you think. We have posted this map before, but for arguments sake let's consider it accurate.

If you are far enough from ground zero to not be vaporized by the blast you have about 15 minutes before fall out will start coming down. Our basement has windows which are a weak point. Getting those covered quickly would be the first priority. Fortunately, our windows are all on one side, so we can shelter on the far side of the basement, and be relatively safe.

The direction of the prevailing wind is also a key factor. The prevailing wind is going to carry the fallout. Again, depending on where it hits we would probably have a good chance of surviving. The key targets are north and east of us, and the prevailing winds blow from the Southwest to the Northeast. But you are right. If you have any distance to get to your bunker, you are probably toast. If it is a significant distance, forget it.

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein (nuclearsecrecy.com)

I have often thought of storm cellars as something to compare a bunker to. We see them in movies, but I am curious about how many people actually have them, especially if they live in tornado alley, or even in an area that often gets hit by hurricanes. For some people, the ground water level is something to be concerned about. But instead of saying you are building a bunker, you could tell anyone who happened to be aware of the build that you are building a storm cellar, or even a storm cellar - root cellar combination. As with other things, get the basics done, and work on it as you are able to. I think of the basement homes in my home town, where a family built a basement with a roof, flat or pitched, and then finished the basement enough to live there. Some families lived in their basement homes for well over a decade. Not the prettiest place to live, but the families saved up until they could build the home on top. In a bunker, add what you want or need as you are able to. For me, I would need to hire out plumbing and electrical, rendering a bunker non Opsec.

If the nukes start flying most likely you won't have time to get in it, so I have decided it's probably pointless We have a perfectly good concrete and dirt on 3 sides basement that would be a good fallout shelter, but what's the point if the nukes can reach US in minutes and most likely TPTB won't warn us anyway. By the time you see the bright flash it will be too late to get in the bunker /shelter
You've got four sides already covered, in your daylight basement. The front is easy with stone or concrete. The ceiling is going to be the hardest. Here is one option. Rip out your ceiling, come down 2" or 3" with a steel ceiling, every 4' stop and blow in 8" or so of sand, and continue on.

I live 50 miles downwind from multiple targets. Once I see the flash I have an hour to get into a bunker, if it is blowing 50 miles an hour. It is unlikely that they would attack in the middle of a storm that strong so I should have 2 to 4 hours to get inside and locked down. The stronger the wind the less time I'll have and the more radiation will be carried past me.

I agree with the reinforced concrete. If a person had access to construction equipment and could dig a hole in the ground, then you could frame it up for concrete, reinforce with metal, pour concrete, heavy steel beams across the top with a strong roof, quality entrance, whether it be a shed and or a tunnel, cover it all back up and plant grass. Just dreaming!
I'd use the foam concrete forms, then when you pour you have your insulation finished at the same time. They make a steel product that looks like the side of a shipping container. It is made for a ceiling form for a concrete roof.

I know that when I was doing more flying, it seemed that every airport that I flew through had construction going on. It may have just been remodeling and updating, but any time there is construction going on, there is the opportunity to develop or add to bunkers in places like airports or even cities. There are known tunnels in many large cities, and these could be used to access "secret" government bunkers. Remember 9/11 when Dick Cheney went into a bunker somewhere relative to the White House? Supposedly, there is a large facility for top ranking Americans in West Virginia.
That facility exists, it's not secret any more. It's under an old hotel and it has facilities for all of the house and senate to keep functioning in case of nuclear war. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was declassified years ago. The History Channel took a film crew through it...

Edit: It's called The Greenbrier Hotel and Resort. It has a 110,000 square foot bunker under it and you can take a tour of it if you want to...

I think if there were to be a major attack I would never know what happened......
Depending on how much you believe China & Russia's claims of their nuke warheads power, I'm likely to be an instant goner as well. I'm close enough to the NSA datacenter and Hill Air Force base to be sure there'd be a nuke heading my way in any major conflict...

Latest posts

Back