Businesses Closing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Hey there all. I know we have a shortages thread, but I've been seeing a lot of businesses closing. In addition to existing shortages, our options are decreasing. Sadly, it appears to be primarily the Mom and Pop places or smaller chains that are being pushed out. I've preached to support local and small businesses for years, and this is why. In addition to multiple restaurants, we are now losing our "Probuild" by the end of the month. That leaves us with HD and one small little place with very limited supply in the way of building supplies. Our Aarons (furniture & appliance) also went out of business within the past month. This is why we've been preparing. I don't see it improving any time soon.
I guess so we can have a heads up if it hasn't hit our area yet, please share if you are seeing closings as well.

Hey there all. I know we have a shortages thread, but I've been seeing a lot of businesses closing. In addition to existing shortages, our options are decreasing. Sadly, it appears to be primarily the Mom and Pop places or smaller chains that are being pushed out. I've preached to support local and small businesses for years, and this is why. In addition to multiple restaurants, we are now losing our "Probuild" by the end of the month. That leaves us with HD and one small little place with very limited supply in the way of building supplies. Our Aarons (furniture & appliance) also went out of business within the past month. This is why we've been preparing. I don't see it improving any time soon.
I guess so we can have a heads up if it hasn't hit our area yet, please share if you are seeing closings as well.
Just be glad you are not in the EU. :confused:
Factories make stuff that people need.
Guess what their shortages will be like:oops::
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/19/business/europe-energy-crisis-factories.html
NYTimes said: High energy prices are lashing European industry, forcing factories to cut production quickly and put tens of thousands of employees on furlough. The cutbacks, though expected to be temporary, are raising the risks of a painful recession in Europe....Makers of metal, paper, fertilizer and other products that depend on gas and electricity to transform raw materials into products from car doors to cardboard boxes have announced belt-tightening. Half of Europe’s aluminum and zinc production has been taken offline, according to Eurometaux, Europe’s metals trade association.
If SHTF is real, I bet you can smell it over there.:confused:

Last edited:
I've seen several places close in the last year or so. Yes, many are mom and pop places. One of the things that I've noticed, however, is that mom and pop are no longer young! Many of these places have owners who are in their 70's. One restaurant that seems to be doing okay is owned by older people and they have grandchildren working there. I think they perhaps trained or helped their children or grands to manage the business so mom and dad could retire, and the business carries on in the same way it has for 40 + years.

A survey in 2020 found that over 2,300 restaurants across the state have closed down for good since March.
Imagine how many have closed since then.
The biggest problem is getting people to work.
The local produce stand has limited produce due to no workers.
You can't get beef or pork cut and wrapped unless you made an appointment last year. You can get a date for next fall if you call soon.

A survey in 2020 found that over 2,300 restaurants across the state have closed down for good since March.
Imagine how many have closed since then.
The biggest problem is getting people to work.
The local produce stand has limited produce due to no workers.
You can't get beef or pork cut and wrapped unless you made an appointment last year. You can get a date for next fall if you call soon.
The one thing the media won't ever talk about: the millions of grey-haired people that pulled the plug and walked off into early retirement when they started their 'mandate-BS' with c19 :mad:.
They are finding out the true meaning of this song:

It's damhard to find a worker with 10-years of experience when you are interviewing 18 year-olds.:confused:

Last edited:
We have only about five storefront businesses in our town, most everyone will run a business, even a small one where they live. We have one restaurant and one burger dive. A lady did start a daycare in one of the storefronts next to the burger place, but I noticed it shut down this month. A for rent sign is now there. We used to have a country grocery store, but it's been closed a number of years. The auto shop uses the building to store tires now.

One of things I have run into while looking for something to fill the days is: NOBODY wants part time.
I'm silver haired, retired, but have 40+ years experience in everything from driving/training forklift operators to global project management. Of course, I have conditions of employment, NO employer so far will even consider part time. It's ALWAYS 40 hours, Mandatory overtime, and they look shocked when I tell em to (REDACTED)OFF

Yeah, don't hire 3 old guys/ga;ls with their own health insurance, do'nt give a crap abut the 401K you offer, but only want to work a few hours a week.

@dademoss I've never understood businesses that think that way. When I worked for Pella Windows years ago, they had a special program just for retirees. They realized that these people who were hitting 65 had years and years of experience and many wanted to slow down but not stop. So, they made a production job title for them, no more than 24 hours per week, and with less benefits. Typically it would be a less physically demanding job like reworking windows that failed QC. There weren't a lot of retirees that participated, but there were enough to make it worthwhile...

I sell to garden centers & hydroponic stores. The market is seriously contracting and I have had over 50 customers go out of business in the past 6 months.

My little town is kind of the opposite. All the storefronts that were full 6 years ago when I moved here, are full now, except for the photographer's shop. But we've seen two knickknack stores, a HAM radio shop, a new barber, a physical therapist, and a Nurse Practitioner office start up and stay in my time here. The brand new grocery store will be up and running in a month. I think my town's status as a bedroom community for those who work at the college 25 miles away, has made us a lot more resilient than most small towns. I know if you go 30 miles north or 30 miles west the towns are dying off...

Yes, many are mom and pop places. One of the things that I've noticed, however, is that mom and pop are no longer young! Many of these places have owners who are in their 70's.

Same all over, we had a family owned taco joint in the county here, been here 43 years. The owners are closing it and retiring, family appears to not want to continue running it.

I've had four restaurants I like shutter and never open again since the Covid, a couple more I just knew about. several stores as well, even a couple of dollar stores. On the upside, home based business, and the black and gray markets are booming! this kind of economy is great for the underground and spreads things the "MAN" frowns on far and wide! caveat emptor.

There is a huge problem here in Australia getting fruit pickers and farm hands in for harvest. Usually, the roles are filled with migrant workers on work visas, but there just isn't any since covid. Along with the severe flooding many rural areas have had over the past two years, combined with the price of fuel, fresh food prices are rising through the roof here.
The flow-on effect is of course restaurant overheads are higher which means many have shut down. Small businesses are struggling as steel is more expensive and huge bushfires three years ago knocked the timber industry badly. Australia is wobbling on the brink of recession, the authorities haven't called it yet, but the building industry is struggling too which is never a good sign. According to the news here, the next budget is going to be brutal.

Several small businesses have closed near me. Many survived, thankfully, and are doing OK for the moment. But the price of food, fuel and wages have risen to the point it's lunacy to go out to eat anymore. I can spend the cost of one meal for my family on healthy food from the store and we can all eat for several days.

Virtually every retail store and restaurant has signs hung that say they are hiring. Some people I've spoken with say they've applied to several places but never get a call for an interview. In other cases, new employees show up and work just long enough to go back on unemployment. The work ethic is terrible - they put in the bare minimum effort and it shows.

Stores like Target and Walmart have pallets of goods sitting in the middle of the aisles because there aren't enough workers to stock shelves and racks properly. Unlike these stores, Wegmans (grocery store chain) is still doing OK: they're well-stocked and neat. They pay their people well and seem able to retain employees.

Farm markets near me are busy - plenty of produce. I haven't heard of any problems finding workers...maybe it's a problem, though.

Southern States ( farm stuff) is no longer fertilizing fields for farmers.

We don't go out to eat much but there was one Asian restaurant I liked and it's gone due to Covid. It was always really busy before and they had authentic food .

For help signs everywhere

2 of the farmers we get hay from are really old (over 80) and this is the last year they are doing hay. I wonder who will replace the farmers that are now old and will be gone soon or retired. The other farmers we get hay from cut back due to fuel prices. They just do enough to have their land remain in landuse. Our friends down the road quit, sold out and moved to the city

The cost of flour and oil, and shortages of fish, have caused the closures of many fish and chips shops here and in the UK. Rising prices and new laws about smokeless fuels are closing businesses in rural areas also. Don't see too many signs for jobs like shopworkers in our local towns. Though folks are still spending money. My daughter was kept on as a weekend waitress as the little cafe she works in is still busy. And it's not the cheapest of places, just middling, but lovely food. I was out on Monday night for dinner to fulfil a long-standing promise- the place was full. On a Monday? Also plenty of tourists still around.

There were a lot of what I call Covid casualties here, and most of those locations are still vacant. There have been a few expansions, but no new businesses. Everybody has Help Wanted signs out, but I have not looked into new employment.

There were a lot of what I call Covid casualties here, and most of those locations are still vacant. There have been a few expansions, but no new businesses. Everybody has Help Wanted signs out, but I have not looked into new employment.
You just get back in that kitchen and do some dishes😃

The sooner everything goes totally to "hell" the better. End of November is good for me.

You just get back in that kitchen and do some dishes😃

That was the chore for the morning. Yesterday I made dinner and dessert, and I had some cleaning to do. Everything turned out pretty good, and the kitchen is back to normal.

I saw an advertisement that said all of the Aldi stores are closing. The one near us just remodeled and doubled in size. Has anyone else heard this?

Is ALDI Closing Stores 2022? -Are They Going Out Business?

ALDI will not be closing stores as the suggested headline. On the reverse, it will continue its American expansion in 2022. Since then, the company has opened 200 new stores, summing up to 2100 stores in the US. The company will become the third-largest grocery chain in the US with this impressive figure.

Latest posts

Back