Cajun and Creole Food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that you in the photo?
Any idea how much that fish weighed? Lots of meals from a fish that big!
Not me, but another Louisiana guy.
I would guess about 40 pounds.
Learned a lot about redfish.
On topic: if you smoke fillets on the grill, you don't take the scales or skin off. :oops:
The heat from the fire welds it all together into a rigid tray that the meat separates from because of the fat layer. You just lift it out by the forkfull.:thumbs:
Also the redfish meat is pretty bland so you want to go heavy on the smoke and you'll want those Cajun spices everybody talks about.😀
But prepared right, they are delicious!
65793-Yummy.gif

Oh, and to answer your other question: that one redfish will feed several people.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask...

Do I get extra points for eating these in New Orleans?

I've got the yellow can in our spice cabinet
Would you believe that I actually did work in the city of Ville Platte, decades ago (late 80's), that they are located in? :oops:

I don't know the difference between these two types of food, cajun and creole. I'd bet a few of you do.

I saw this on a meme and thought it would be fun to see how many of these foods each of us have eaten. And then, how many have you cooked?

New Orleans Food Test. Give yourself one point for everything you’ve eaten.

Gumbo
Etoufee
Jambalaya (edit added, thank you Wingnut!)
Red Beans and Rice
Muffulettas
Beignets
Poboys
Snoballs
Bananas Foster
Crawfish
Pralines
King Cake
Oysters
Boudin
BBQ Shrimp
Soft Shell Crab
Fried Chicken
Turtle Soup
Alligator
Shrimp Remoulade
Thin fried Catfish
Bread Pudding
Frog Legs
----------------
I've eaten gumbo, red beans and rice, Beignets, Bananas Foster, Alligator, frog legs, catfish (can someone tell what makes New Orleans catfish different, if it is?)
I missed King Cake. I had two students, brothers, and their grownup sister would send a King Cake every year.

I missed King Cake. I had two students, brothers, and their grownup sister would send a King Cake every year.
Tons of them are EVERYWHERE, in every store down here, about now! 😀

Yes, Ash Wednesday is approaching, February 22.
And I don't have your mailing address. 🤨
But I must confess that I am still a 'student'.
DW walks around and says: those suck, those suck, those suck... we have become connoisseurs of those.
NOTMC_27023_c50e4a22-542e-426b-812f-b5c4a56ca2a2.jpg

But when one passes the 9th-level, I can tell you.... it is fabulous 😍 !!!:woo hoo:

Last edited:
And I don't have your mailing address. 🤨
But I must confess that I am still a 'student'.
DW walks around and says: those suck, those suck, those suck... we have become connoisseurs of those.
NOTMC_27023_c50e4a22-542e-426b-812f-b5c4a56ca2a2.jpg

But when one passes the 9th-level, I can tell you.... it is fabulous!!!:woo hoo:
It was always fun to eat one of these with my students. We also would get beads and doubloons to share with the children.

It was always fun to eat one of these with my students. We also would get beads and doubloons to share with the children.
Since we are on topic with 'Cajun food', were these 'the real ones' with the plastic baby hidden inside the cake, and the lucky person that ended up with it in their slice would be 'blessed' for a year?:)

Last edited:
Since we are on topic with 'Cajun food', were these 'the real ones' with the plastic baby hidden inside the cake, and the lucky person that ended up with it in their slice would be 'blessed' for a year?:)
Oh, yes! We always had a baby inside our King Cakes. It is not a King Cake without one, it just looks like one.

Oh, yes! We always had a baby inside our King Cakes. It is not a King Cake without one, it just looks like one.
A couple years ago they mandated that the baby must be outside of the cake because it is a 'choking hazard for children'gaah.
I'm gonna stay off the soapbox.:mad:
But I will tell you that they gave us 5y/o's unshelled pecans to suck on and nobody died.

A couple years ago they mandated that the baby must be outside of the cake because it is a 'choking hazard for children'gaah.
I'm gonna stay off the soapbox.:mad:
But I will tell you that they gave us 5y/o's unshelled pecans to suck on and nobody died.
Probably someone's child choked on one, so they had to ruin it for everyone. If I got a cake with the baby on the outside of the cake, I would have pushed it into the cake somewhere.

Last edited:
You're kidding, right?:dunno:
Typical ones at our local baker 1.5 miles away:
126055929_3784308938280490_8823845224134371359_n.jpg
I see the baby and I see beads. Are there any dabloons in the middle? The cakes that we would get were rectangular, shipped in a sturdy box. They were so colorful and fun. Such a fun experience with the children. We would also get beads and dabloons to share with them.

My group's next time to hostess fellowship hour is February 19 and Ash Wednesday is February 22. This would be the perfect time to make a King Cake. It would be fun for the children especially. I'll have to look for a baby, beads, dabloons and something to decorate the cake with.

I see the baby and I see beads. Are there any dabloons in the middle? The cakes that we would get were rectangular, shipped in a sturdy box. They were so colorful and fun. Such a fun experience with the children. We would also get beads and dabloons to share with them.

My group's next time to hostess fellowship hour is February 19 and Ash Wednesday is February 22. This would be the perfect time to make a King Cake. It would be fun for the children especially. I'll have to look for a baby, beads, dabloons and something to decorate the cake with.
Well, you don't want to enrage the morons out there:rolleyes:.
You will probably have to add the 'inedible' things later but it is a very fun thing we have down here this time of year.
No table is complete without one:thumbs:.

I did better than I thought. I have eaten 14 of the items on the list. Red Beans and Rice is one of my favorites.

Missed this thread! I’ve had 22 of the 23 on the list. Nola is my favorite city, can’t count the times, been going there over 40yrs. And the food, love the food. I’ve also been in and out of every small town/port on the coast all the way to texas… I love both creole and cajun. I have to admit… The first time I had a captain who was cajun I got a bit tired of eating rice, especially at breakfast!!! He called it “coon#^* grits... 🤣

When I worked offshore on 100ton boats we carried 150K gallons of diesel fuel. All the company boats did. On a calm night it was common to hear the “code words” on the radio. Small commercial fishing boats were always looking to trade a couple 5g buckets of shrimp, fish etc for 100gallons of diesel fuel. Hard to measure fuel on a rocking ship anyway. 😁

On the radio it sounded like… “we got shrimp or... Hasn’t been iced yet. Good fishing today but it’s long way to the beach!”… But they said it with a heavy cajun accent in a peculiar dialect.

They were looking to trade! And the best shrimp is still alive! We’d call our sister ships that were close by, tie up 3 or 4 together and have big shrimp boil/fish fry on the ocean.

Don’t care for gator or turtle though, tastes like an old river cat. I only keep wild catfish that are less than 2lbs. Over two pounds and they start tasting old swamp mud. Same reason I don’t like turtle or gator.

Farm raised catfish don't have this issue. The water is fresher and they grow faster.

Last edited:
...Small commercial fishing boats were always looking to trade a couple 5g buckets of shrimp, fish etc for 100gallons of diesel fuel. Hard to measure fuel on a rocking ship anyway. 😁

On the radio it sounded like… “we got shrimp or... Hasn’t been iced yet. Good fishing today but it’s long way to the beach!”… But they said it with a heavy cajun accent in a peculiar dialect.

They were looking to trade! And the best shrimp is still alive! We’d call our sister ships that were close by, tie up 3 or 4 together and have a big shrimp boil/fish fry on the ocean.
That definitely sounds like something the guys down here would do.
I bet those shrimp were pretty dang good too! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have heard of it, but have never eaten it. What are the ingredients? Basic flavor?

O.K. I looked it up. Amazon sells a brand that is $20.00 for one cake. :confused2: Are you kidding me?!?!

I don't care if it is the greatest thing since toilet paper on a roll. I'm not paying $20.00 for one cake.
Guess I'm gonna have to go with the raw squirrels 😕😉

Latest posts

Back