Cajun and Creole Food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I ate some Korean food that opened every sweat pore in my body. I was drenched after something I ate. I suspect it was some kind of pepper.

I love Korean food almost as much as Indian :) If I invited you for dinner ( you are welcome any time!!) I would have to cook you German food LOL

As for the Cajun, I like Jambalaya but leave the shrimp out of it, I just put sausage in. I don't like shellfish at all.
I have eaten gator and frog legs many times, if cooked right, both are good.

I have heard of it, but have never eaten it. What are the ingredients? Basic flavor?

O.K. I looked it up. Amazon sells a brand that is $20.00 for one cake. :confused2: Are you kidding me?!?!

I don't care if it is the greatest thing since toilet paper on a roll. I'm not paying $20.00 for one cake.
I am going to make a regular cake mix, maybe white, maybe something else. Then I'll put the baby in, if I can find one. Then I'll ice it and decorate it with Mardi Gras colored edible sprinkles. I'll see if I can find some necklaces and dubloons to put on the table.

One of the women who shares hostessing with me on Sundays has always brought meatballs and rolls. I try to take something that will go with it, such as macaroni and cheese. I plan on making red beans and rice as well as the King Cake for our next time.

I love Korean food almost as much as Indian :) If I invited you for dinner ( you are welcome any time!!) I would have to cook you German food LOL

As for the Cajun, I like Jambalaya but leave the shrimp out of it, I just put sausage in. I don't like shellfish at all.
I have eaten gator and frog legs many times, if cooked right, both are good.
I love to explore foods from around the world, as well as customs that go with eating. I've only had one really bad experience, and that was when I ate Ethiopian. I'm sure that was an anomaly, but it ruined it for me.

I love shrimp, but I don't eat it because it is largely processed by enslaved people in Thailand. I've given up on supporting that industry. Yes, some shrimp comes from other places, but the shrimp industry has realized that others are doing what I am and no longer label any shrimp as being from Thailand, like other aspects of the food industry have done.

I don't cook German, but love schnitzel and other German foods that I have eaten. Where in Germany did you live?

i like gumbo !

i often use spicy chicken sausage and then after the pot has cooked and simmered i drop strips of tilapia in it. i have even dumped a can of mackerel when i was short on ingredients.

pan of cornbread with it . not sure if its traditional or not but its what i do.

It has been more than 25 years since I've had King Cake, and I won't be making a cake. It is more of a bread, not a cake.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/traditional-new-orleans-king-cake/
Home Dishes & Beverages Breads, Rolls & Pastries Bread Recipes

Ingredients​

• 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
  • 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • glaze:
  • 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons water
  • Green, purple and yellow sugars

Directions​

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup sugar, butter, milk, egg yolks, salt, lemon zest, nutmeg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush with egg.
  4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cake. Sprinkle with colored sugars.

Attachments

• Red Beans and Rice.pdf
    725.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Gumbo.pdf
    737.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Gumbo 2.pdf
    644.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Jumbalaya.pdf
    525.9 KB · Views: 0
I think of King cake as a big cinnamon roll. Some are filled and all are decorated.
Bingo!
The idea is you cut slices and people eat it holding it with their fingers, no forks or plates needed, just a napkin :thumbs: .
Edit: And the good ones have sweet gooey stuff in them :D.
The ones DW ordered at out local bakery for this year will have Bavarian Cream in them!:woo hoo:

Last edited:
About an hour or so north of Ramstein airbase...most Americans know where that is more than you would the actual location

Guess what I made for lunch today! Schnitzel ( and red cabbage)
Come over to the dark side!:huggs:
Sausage meat and cabbage?
Yeah, we do dat!!! :thumbs:
Cajun-Cabbage-Stew-sq.jpg.webp

https://bakeitwithlove.com/cajun-cabbage-stew/
Warm, comforting stews are a must during chilly weather! This incredible Cajun cabbage stew is filling but doesn’t skimp on flavor! Aromatic vegetables get cooked down with incredibly delicious andouille sausage and hearty cabbage to make a stew you’ll crave.

Last edited:
I posted in another thread that I made the red beans and rice yesterday, but I wanted to let you all know here, that it was absolutely delicious. Two pounds of red beans is what the recipe called for and that fed many people as a side dish along with meatballs (not Creole or Cajun), King Cake, cookies, muffins, etc. This recipe was sent to me by someone who seems to be no longer active here, but is friends with some of you.

Thinking about how much food this was, made me think that I would only use one pound of beans and reduce all the other ingredients. The recipe calls for cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon crushed pods. I used pepper flakes. I didn't think that was much. I love spicy food and this wasn't a lot, but it was noticeable.

Another thing that occurred to me is that a canned ham would be great to add or to substitute for the 1 pound of ham cut into cubes, the 1 pound pickled pork and the ham bone. The ham bone helps to make the beans seem to be in more of a gravy, and I loved that, but a canned ham would certainly be great to substitute in this recipe if you didn't have the ham, ham bone or pickled pork (I didn't have pickled pork, couldn't find it).

Attachments

• Red Beans and Rice.pdf
    725.9 KB · Views: 0
Just now seeing this thread. I've eaten and cooked everything on that list (stationed in Louisiana for 13 years...). I would add that made red beans and rice better was andouille sausage. We put that in just about everything esp. gumbo.

I also didn't see crab and shrimp boil, it's the same thing as a crawfish boil, just with crab and shrimp (have to add that dead last or it will overcook) but I've also had that on the East coast.

Another thing we do at our house is cajun shrimp pasta. Boil spaghetti in a pot that has a crawfish seasoning added to it. In a frying pan, take a half stick of butter, a little olive oil, garlic, onions, sweet peppers and of course andouille sausage. Let that brown and add shrimp, once the color changes, put some small cut broccoli on top. Drain water off of the spaghetti, plate and cover with the awesomness that's in the skillet. And now I'm hungry.

Just now seeing this thread. I've eaten and cooked everything on that list (stationed in Louisiana for 13 years...). I would add that made red beans and rice better was andouille sausage. We put that in just about everything esp. gumbo.

I also didn't see crab and shrimp boil, it's the same thing as a crawfish boil, just with crab and shrimp (have to add that dead last or it will overcook) but I've also had that on the East coast.

Another thing we do at our house is cajun shrimp pasta. Boil spaghetti in a pot that has a crawfish seasoning added to it. In a frying pan, take a half stick of butter, a little olive oil, garlic, onions, sweet peppers and of course andouille sausage. Let that brown and add shrimp, once the color changes, put some small cut broccoli on top. Drain water off of the spaghetti, plate and cover with the awesomness that's in the skillet. And now I'm hungry.
I have some andouille sausage in my freezer. I considered adding some to my recipe.

Several months ago, I went to a restaurant supply that I had never been to before. They sold andouille sausage in 25 pound packages. I was so, so, so tempted to buy a package. My thought was that I would can it, because my freezers are always full. Imagine having 25 one pound packages of frozen andouille sausage or 25 jars, and either 25 or 50 pounds of red beans. This would be a wonderful variation on beans and rice in our food storage. I have spices, dehydrated onions and peppers.

That pasta recipe sounds wonderful!

3 pounds of Red beans going right now.View attachment 104497
I see celery. The recipe that I shared doesn't call for celery, so I didn't put any in. I love celery and thought about it when I was cooking my red beans.

Do you have a recipe that you are willing to share, that might be a little different than the one that Fundy sent me?

I see celery. The recipe that I shared doesn't call for celery, so I didn't put any in. I love celery and thought about it when I was cooking my red beans.

Do you have a recipe that you are willing to share, that might be a little different than the one that Fundy sent me?
I start the beans with lots of celery onions and bell pepper. Added deer sausage as that is what I have right now without going to a store. Add garlic powder and cajun seasoning- Slap yo mama- extra spicy. It's been cooking on low all morning- I did soak them last night.

I start the beans with lots of celery onions and bell pepper. Added deer sausage as that is what I have right now without going to a store. Add garlic powder and cajun seasoning- Slap yo mama- extra spicy. It's been cooking on low all morning- I did soak them last night.
This sounds good. Celery, onions and bell pepper is called the trinity, isn't it?

I use this recipe. I add bell pepper. I also add a few drops of liquid smoke if you don't have real smoke sausage. Using an andouille sausage in place of smoked sausage is good. I also use pickled pork and a smoked ham hock. I soak my beans first, unless I'm using a pressure cooker.

Attachments

• 20230220_175312.jpg
    20230220_175312.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I use this recipe. I add bell pepper. I also add a few drops of liquid smoke if you don't have real smoke sausage. Using an andouille sausage in place of smoked sausage is good. I also use pickled pork and a smoked ham hock. I soak my beans first, unless I'm using a pressure cooker.
I remember when we used to be able to buy pickled pigs feet in a jar. I have not seen any pickled pork in a very long time.

My grandparents made them, boiling the feet with pickling spices and vinegar until they fell apart. The meat was cut off the bone, bone disposed of, meat was cut up into smaller pieces and put into a casserole dish and the water that they were cooked in poured over the top. It was put in the fridge where the water would set up like gelatin, which it really was. When it was set up, there would be a layer of fat on the top that would be scraped off. It would be cut up, much like a cake and served in sauce dishes with a little vinegar poured over the top. I loved it.

After becoming a grown up, I bought pickled pigs feet in a jar. It has been decades since I last saw them and bought them. I liked them okay, but not as well as what we had at home.
I never tasted them being freaked out by them but my Grandfather was happy to eat my share.

Ben

Last week I had a box of zataran gumbo mix that was about to expire. I added 1.5lbs of conecuh sausage. Waaaay toooo salty, couldn't eat it. Cooked some rice to dilute some of the salt. It helped but was still too much for my taste. I ate about 3 bowls then fed the rest to the pup. He loved all that sausage. But I'm not buying anymore of that mix.

Last edited:
The idea is you cut slices and people eat it holding it with their fingers, no forks or plates needed, just a napkin :thumbs: .
Edit: And the good ones have sweet gooey stuff in them :D.
The ones DW ordered at out local bakery for this year will have Bavarian Cream in them!:woo hoo:
Well, since it is after midnight and we are officially into 'fat Tuesday', I had me a huge slice of one of those King cakes with Bavarian cream in them.😍
It was heavenly!!!😇
I am married to an angel! 🧚‍♀️
Edit: Wikipedia: "Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday", reflecting the practice of the last night of eating rich, fatty foods before the ritual Lenten sacrifices."

Last edited:
I remember when we used to be able to buy pickled pigs feet in a jar. I have not seen any pickled pork in a very long time.
We have a little country store here that sell them along with pickled ham hocks and pickled pig lips. People ask for pig lips without hair on them if possible. Yikes!

I have some andouille sausage in my freezer. I considered adding some to my recipe.

Several months ago, I went to a restaurant supply that I had never been to before. They sold andouille sausage in 25 pound packages. I was so, so, so tempted to buy a package. My thought was that I would can it, because my freezers are always full. Imagine having 25 one pound packages of frozen andouille sausage or 25 jars, and either 25 or 50 pounds of red beans. This would be a wonderful variation on beans and rice in our food storage. I have spices, dehydrated onions and peppers.

That pasta recipe sounds wonderful!
I go back to Louisiana on occasion, when I do, I have to get 10 or so pounds of andouille, plus some Boudin balls/wraps (might be a Northwest LA thing) plus some of the local beers that we can't get in Mo.

Back