Calf Warmer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannyG

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
26113841_1889875454360438_977397678944184123_n.jpg

A really neat idea

Outstanding idea. I have seen them used for water storage, DIY septic systems but this is great and leads to other possible uses. :great:

We have used heat lamps for the odd cold snap ... but we try for a warm weather birth.

Not that it always works that way... but what we work for.
26113841_1889875454360438_977397678944184123_n.jpg

A really neat idea

Very neat idea.:thumbs up:

I’m currently hunting for a couple of these to make them! It’s a genius idea!

I wanted one for aquaponics,but decided to go another way, and yes they are neat a little costly but worth it they last so long.
Outstanding idea. I have seen them used for water storage, DIY septic systems but this is great and leads to other possible uses. :great:

I agree and they are sturdy too.

We have used heat lamps for the odd cold snap ... but we try for a warm weather birth.

Not that it always works that way... but what we work for.

We use heat lamps on our dogs except in really cold weather like this week. Timing teh birth is good too.:thumbs up:

The problem I see with the warming huts is that the calves become accustomed to the heat and won't do well if something goes wrong with the system. If you know a cow will calve in extreme temperatures, its best to be there and towel them down after mom is finished. After their first drink either bury them in hay or put a jacket on them for a few days. I have one of my Jersey cows timed to calve in Feb. when temps are around -22C/-8F. This year its looking like it will be much colder and I will use a jacket. The calves will be out romping in the snow as soon as they get their land legs. The danger is when they are dropped outside during birth. If that happens, nothing will save them if you are not there to get them inside. Two to three days tops in a small area I can man handle them in, and then out they go, is how I do it. Just make sure there is shelter from wind and bedding to snug up on. Now, if we are talking dairy calves without a mom, then the huts make some sense as the natural parameters have already been changed as the calves don't have ready access to warm milk when its needed. I still wouldn't heat the hut, but use a jacket. I am a bit out of the norm these days as I believe that barns are a human invention and animals were not evolved to live in them. I do not have the vet coming out for pneumonia and other bronchial diseases like many farmers around here do. I have also noticed that all of the new dairy barns being built tend to be open air now; not completely enclosed.

Because of our fair dates we have Jan/Feb births with our goats. I have a heat lamp in an area where the kids can get to but its only on overnight and mostly for our dairy kids During the day they are all out with mom and can lay together in the sun. I have also noticed (in a boarding stable I worked at) that closed barns have more health issues.

Latest posts

Back