Quantcast

California Lake Fire explodes to 10,000 acres with little containment, roughly 100 homes evacuated

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yep. It’s a biggin with no control in sight. They are having a heck of a time down south. They should start shuttin off our power any time the wind blows soon. Getting the generator prepped this weekend for it. Going to be 110* min tomorrow here. Things are ramping up to get ugly

SeventiesWreckers

Load Bearing Wall
Neighbor
It's one of the worst places in Southern California to try to fight a fire. The canyons are steep, and the winds can drive flames at speeds that make it very dangerous to try to work a fireline. Scrub Oak & Manzanita are thick, and burn very hot, at well over 1,100 degrees, so firelines, even if you could cut them, aren't really practical barriers. The area isn't very populated, but by most peoples standards, the distances are very large, like 60 miles north to south for the mountain range I-5 cuts through. And to cap it off, the mountains are full of really big, black, diamondback rattlesnakes.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yep. It’s a biggin with no control in sight. They are having a heck of a time down south. They should start shuttin off our power any time the wind blows soon. Getting the generator prepped this weekend for it. Going to be 110* min tomorrow here. Things are ramping up to get ugly
Be careful and keep close watch out.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When firemen are in situations like this, how long do they push themselves?
How many hours do they fight before they stop for a few hours?
How do you know?
Do you know anyone personally who fights these kinds of fires?
Not sure of rotation times. But they do work in shifts. Typically have large camps set up , for food, sleep, showers.
I have a buddy with state forestry division. During fire season they had crews out west for weeks at a time.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not sure of rotation times. But they do work in shifts. Typically have large camps set up , for food, sleep, showers.
I have a buddy with state forestry division. During fire season they had crews out west for weeks at a time.
Remember that freak accident several years ago when the scuba diver was accidently scooped up in bucket and dumped into the fire? Nobody knew what happend till some time later when they found him .
Said it was a rumor and never happened.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Remember that freak accident several years ago when the scuba diver was accidently scooped up in bucket and dumped into the fire? Said it was a rumor and never happened.
That was an episode of CSI crime scene investigation... the show based in Los Vegas.

The thing that always stuck with me was the smell of smoke. Even after the fires were out it hangs in those canyons for weeks. My apartment faced south. Even though the smog was horrible over the mountains it was easy to see the subtle difference in the way the smoke looked.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
That was an episode of CSI crime scene investigation... the show based in Los Vegas.

The thing that always stuck with me was the smell of smoke. Even after the fires were out it hangs in those canyons for weeks. My apartment faced south. Even though the smog was horrible over the mountains it was easy to see the subtle difference in the way the smoke looked.
Was it true or rumor?

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Are you close? Will you have to evacuate?

When it comes to preparedness, and this year, with the pandemic, the business of having to sleep in your vehicle would be no fun! This is when even a small travel trailer would be better than sleeping in your car.
A former student of mine and his family had to evacuate from down by Colorado Springs. Parents and two children had a large RV and drove away from the fire. Their home was fine, but they had to evacuate. An RV, stocked and loaded would be almost ideal for evacuating now.

SeventiesWreckers

Load Bearing Wall
Neighbor
When firemen are in situations like this, how long do they push themselves?
How many hours do they fight before they stop for a few hours?
How do you know?
Do you know anyone personally who fights these kinds of fires?
Since I was born in Hollywood in 1954, and grew up in North Hollywood, I did have classmates who's family members were both L.A. City, and L.A. County firefighters. A girl that was a classmate in grade school, married my best friend after high school, and her father was a battalion chief at Station 89, which was an L.A. City Fire training station next door to my house. And later on in the 1970's, several Marines I knew, became L.A. Firemen after they left the service.

Urban planning, in regard to Southern California, is a true Oxymoron. If you were look at an aerial map of L.A. County, about 90 percent of what you would be seeing, is development that happened between 1945 & 1965. About all they planned for was how to get water & power services out as far as they could. After all the flat valley land was developed into suburbs, they started building up into the canyons, & foothills. Some areas declined to be part of L.A. City, and incorporated as their own cities. Thus the need for both L.A. City Fire Dept., and L.A. County Fire Dept. Fighting the annual Wildfires, or Brushfires, falls to L.A. County Fire for the most part. But some years it can be all hand on deck if everything gets lit up.

Technically these fires are classed as "Chaparral Fires", not forest fires. There are no trees worthy of consideration, not until the higher elevations are attained. Chaparral is a "Terrain Feature" that describes a low canopy of highly flammable organic material, usually no more than 2-3 meters high, that follows the contours of the earth, and can go on for many miles. It resembles a thicket, where about all that can pass thru is air. Which can be a very big problem.

Since most people understand the concept of how a blast furnace works, right down to a simple blacksmiths forge, this factor is pretty simple. A furnace with a laid out bed of coals isn't hot enough to do much with. But add a bellows to feed oxygen to the coal bed, and you can quickly get temperatures high enough to melt steel. This brings us to the seasonal phenomenon known as "The Santa Ana Winds", an annual fall weather event particular to the Southern California geography.

When high & low pressure systems meet over Southern California in the Fall, they can produce conditions that draw in dry air from the deserts to the east & north, even extending as far away as the Great Basin for a source. As this air is pulled to the ocean in the west, it crosses the mountain ranges, and becomes a Downslope Wind. This air mass is unique. Very dry, low in humidity, and as it travels downhill to lower elevations it picks up speed, and warms up at the same time. A mean speed of about 60 mph is the average, but if conditions are right, gusts well over 100 mph funneling through the passes, are reached. And that's the bellows for blast furnace conditions as soon as it hits the burning chaparral.

So, since fighting a fire such as this depends of so many things, like the terrain, humidity, temperatures, wind direction & speed, all which are changeable at any time, the only factor that carries thru it all, and dictates actions, is "It Depends". Firemen can go from fighting the fire, to running for their lives in a few seconds.

Fighting fires such as these is a labor intensive process that really goes on year round. Crews with bulldozers cut access trails to create "Firebreaks" for future use. When a fire starts up, the experts factor in everything they have, and make a decision as to where to insert crews by ground, or air. These firefighters will start backfires in an attempt to starve the oncoming fire of fuel to arrest it, and allow it to burn itself out. Combined with air tankers dropping fire retardant, this is the best process to arrest the progress of an oncoming fire. But, it's not a perfect world, and conditions can change in a heartbeat, so no matter how well the experts plan, things can go very wrong, very fast. And sometimes they just have to let it burn, at least until the risk isn't so high, and some degree of safety, with the potential of success can be realized.

But, even on a good day, with everything breaking your way, it's still a very dangerous dance to be invited to.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

When it comes to preparedness, and this year, with the pandemic, the business of having to sleep in your vehicle would be no fun! This is when even a small travel trailer would be better than sleeping in your car.
A former student of mine and his family had to evacuate from down by Colorado Springs. Parents and two children had a large RV and drove away from the fire. Their home was fine, but they had to evacuate. An RV, stocked and loaded would be almost ideal for evacuating now.
I agree with you. I've always had a get away vehicle.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Only person we know of at all in the area is this make up artist I'vewatched now and then for past couple years or more. This video is only a few days old.Hope they got out.

Grimm

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
8-13-2020

This is massive B*LLSH*T!

We have a larger fire going just over the hill from us that has been active for over 13 days. Hundreds of homes were evacuated and over 33,000 acres destroyed! It is only 90% contained at this point.

The only reason the fire you posted is getting coverage is because it is in a rich California area and not the farming community we live in in California. BTW don't expect any apples next year. The area that was destroyed are apple and cherry orchards here in Southern California.

I forgot to mention it is called the APPLE Fire in Cherry Valley!

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is massive B*LLSH*T!

We have a larger fire going just over the hill from us that has been active for over 13 days. Hundreds of homes were evacuated and over 33,000 acres destroyed! It is only 90% contained at this point.

The only reason the fire you posted is getting coverage is because it is in a rich California area and not the farming community we live in in California. BTW don't expect any apples next year. The area that was destroyed are apple and cherry orchards here in Southern California.

I forgot to mention it is called the APPLE Fire in Cherry Valley!

I didn't see that and I will see if I can find something on that.
It's true that somethings are definitely not covered and that's not right, seen it more than once.:(

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

No thankfully we’re nowhere near any of the fires down south. I have some family down that way but they live in the concrete jungle and are safe at this point. Just Smokey at times.
We are in northern CA.
we are pretty well prepared however as we do get lots of fires around us It seems. We we’re prepping for this fire season when the “pandemic“ started. Thankfully we seem to be good even if they **** power off for longer times. We have livestock we need to provide water for etc so we have to be sure we are prepared for them at the least.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A footnote to the Ranch fire. This is about 8 miles from my house. The origin started in the trees at the base of the mountain, which use to be shade trees for us when we shot at the Azusa Gun Club, which is out of business. It was started by a homeless guy, which they have identified already, but he has gone underground since starting the fire. He is a meth head, been arrested multiple times, and because of this lackluster Governor, even if arrested, he will e released within 3 hours due to Covid fears.

1597509143133.png

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A footnote to the Ranch fire. This is about 8 miles from my house. The origin started in the trees at the base of the mountain, which use to be shade trees for us when we shot at the Azusa Gun Club, which is out of business. It was started by a homeless guy, which they have identified already, but he has gone underground since starting the fire. He is a meth head, been arrested multiple times, and because of this lackluster Governor, even if arrested, he will e released within 3 hours due to Covid fears.

View attachment 48434

That is a shame, stay safe havasu. 👍

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
8-15-2020

Lake Fire 12% Contained, Over 14,000 Acres Burned Near Lake Hughes

8-15-2020

Lake Fire Continues To Burn As It Approaches 20,000 Acres

Last edited:

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Red Cross set up two shelters, but once evacuations lifted, the Red Cross packed up and left. I did work at the Red Cross warehouse, where I unloaded 66 pallets of water to have on hand, since we know more fires are coming. Not to mention our temperatures. Here is a picture at my house taken 1/2 hour ago.
20200815_131459.jpg

Latest posts