Call me Fred Sanford

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The other day one of the bolts fell out of my husqvarna, the bolt held the muffler on. The saw runs great.

Into town fo a bolt, not to be had, everything too short.

Ordered a couple on ebay. Not a big deal. However what if that option didnt exist?

Family tradition says to have a few junkers around for spare parts.

On the search for a few junkers

The other day one of the bolts fell out of my husqvarna, the bolt held the muffler on. The saw runs great.

Into town fo a bolt, not to be had, everything too short.

Ordered a couple on ebay. Not a big deal. However what if that option didnt exist?

Family tradition says to have a few junkers around for spare parts.

On the search for a few junkers
I always save pieces and parts that I find or remove from something. I have a plastic cabinet with drawers where I sort them by types.

I bought 3 saws from my step dad this spring. 2 of them are Husqvarnas. I have a similar model. Gonna sell the Poulan which is a newer saw. I do need to find a used Sthil as a spare of my little saw. I tend to use it more than any of the others. I do want to get my Husky's tuned up and in tip top shape. The Sthil is only a couple years old.

The other day one of the bolts fell out of my husqvarna,...

Family tradition says to have a few junkers around for spare parts...

Amen to that.. 👍 ...but next time, just gimme a hollar, first, I gotcha covered...

im_scrood-jpg.276978
(..then there's the entire 'Organizer-cabinet Wall'.. :cool:

..Yeah, I may have a 'few loose screws'.. 🤓

jd

I have boxes and boxes of nuts and bolts. Some new, mostly used. Some are sorted big and small, sae and metric. But those dadg muffler bolts are 5mm and about 5 inches long. Had nothing close but i might have been able to work something over. I have taps and dies up to 2inch in dia. And pipe dies to 4 inch, not that those big sizes are much use when it comes to a 5mm.

It didnt seem worth it to turn one in the lathe.

I have boxes and boxes of nuts and bolts. Some new, mostly used. Some are sorted big and small, sae and metric. But those dadg muffler bolts are 5mm and about 5 inches long. Had nothing close but i might have been able to work something over. I have taps and dies up to 2inch in dia. And pipe dies to 4 inch, not that those big sizes are much use when it comes to a 5mm.

It didnt seem worth it to turn one in the lathe.
Loctite red.
I was a tech for a dealer that sold Homelite saws. They actually sent me to factory school on them.
They repeated every day that due to the heat cycles and vibration, every single screw has to have Loctite on it or it will come right back out regardless how much you tighten it.
That proved obvious on ones that the customer had worked on and half the screws were gone. :(
(funny story about tuning chain depth gauges available)

Last edited:
I've got more junk than ole Fred ever dreamed of. Wish I had a more diverse collection of junk! It's handy!!!!!
Always nice to have parts handy when you need them. Had a bearing come apart in a deck pulley on one of our John Deere riding mowers. Hubby got one off an old Murray deck (from our old deck collection) that fit perfectly. An hour later I was back to mowing on it. It would have been expensive to get the John Deere bearing!!

I had two cabinets full of used parts & tools I found in the trash. When someone needed one they would ask me, if I did not have one they would oder it. When I retired, the big boss saw inside the cabinet & said I did not know he had this junk or I would have made him get rid of!
"THAT WHY HE NEVER KNEW ABOUT IT"

Spare parts are a necessity when you live a long way from any stores. I have spare parts all over the place, but there is always that one item that you find you need and don‘t have on your projects. So you either improvise or your project is delayed.

One of my outer sheds is still mostly un-inventoried and way over cluttered. I hope to get in there and sort that all out after I pull the three plows out from it for mounting and before I jam it full of stuff I want to keep in there for the winter. But the place is a gold mine if I can figure out how to declutter it so I can find stuff.

Latest posts

Back