Camping in cold weather...in a tent or not

Discussion in 'HIking, Camping, Backpacking' started by Patchouli, Oct 16, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 19, 2018 #31

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patriot Neighbor Contributor

2. Oct 19, 2018 #32

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

SheepDog, You sound a lot like I used to hike. Carried everything but the kitchen sink. sometimes took it to. LOL I would day hike with a full pack just for training. Back in my 20's (I was in much better shape and hiked a lot) I carried over 80 lbs on a few trips. A lot of it was food cause we ate WELL. I finally got a clue and paired back to a more manageable load, but still having spare food for a few day and emergency gear. I wasn't carrying hunting gear however. I've gotten lighter weight gear over the years and have now paired down to 40 or so lbs, plus a handgun and ammo. in my late 50's I look for places to cut weight when I can. I'd still like to cut back more, and a new tent is one item I can cut a major weight.

Patchouli, My wife has hiked with me for 35+ years now. When we first started hiking together she weighted all of 85-90 lbs. She carried 35 lbs or more on most trips. She had a bad car wreck in the early 90's and had her neck broken. After 3 years of therapy she was able to start hiking again. We worked out to her carrying her clothes, sleeping pads for both of us, and any essitials she needed. Cut her weight to 25lbs or so. This kept her hiking for many more years. Luckily I have been able to pick up the slack for her. True trail girls (women) carry whatever they need to.

3. Oct 19, 2018 #33

Hooch

Hooch

Hooch

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Sierra Designs 2 person tent is what I have, it a 3 season tent but I used it in all weather including crazy winds and snow and it kept me dry. It is 23 years old , smells funky now and not sure it will keep me dry anymore..maybe this winter Ill set it up and see how it holds up. Those tube tents are pretty cool and a Bivi sac bag is a people size emergency bag/ shelter all in one. It weighs hardly anything and I kept one in my SAR bag on searches. It would actually be a great item for a bob. That and a tube tent or small tarp n some rope..good to go so long as your clothing is quality and rugged.

4. Oct 20, 2018 #34

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor Contributor

I love camping but haven't done much of it in the last few years. We haven't had the time. My Grandpa always said his idea of camping was going to "Holiday Inn" Half his towels had green monagrams.

5. Oct 21, 2018 #35

BlueZ

BlueZ

BlueZ

In a tactical environment tents can make you slower to react to an attack and also easier to spot.
    A "Lean to" just a tarp or shelter half ...… put as cover over your sleeping bag will keep the snow/rain off you and is quite sufficient for a healthy young adult male.

(In a pinch a nice thickly leafed tree will also do but long term backwoods stays u need something to keep th erain off you so your sleeping bag....so it does not get soacked and moldy)

6. Oct 21, 2018 #36

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

When we were living in a tent in the mid 80s we'd bundle up at night then next morning we'd be waking up shedding all those clothes and two two pair of socks we'd put on night before. Sun heats them up fast.
    Also been trough many a storms in tents, went through the 100 year flood in Feb.1998 in a tent and had lightening popping all around us on the ground plus tent laying down on our face a times. One of the worst was a water spout that came on us Near Jacksonville and next was the tropical storm in Miami.
    We had some cold nights further north in Appalachian Mountains too.
    Our dogs were all great campers, they knew not to touch the tent walls. We trained them to be good campers. They had their own tent they sometimes shared with our 2 cats. The cats ruled.

7. Oct 21, 2018 #37

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Sounds liek a strong woman, glad she was determined enough to get back into things after her accident.

8. Oct 21, 2018 #38

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

We set up our tent in the sun for weeks if it gets a smell to it.

MoBookworm1957 and Hooch like this.
  9. Oct 21, 2018 #39

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

:I agree::thumbs:

Patchouli and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  10. Oct 21, 2018 #40

JAC

JAC

JAC

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor

If you want something that is very small and super lightweight for your Bugout bag I have a bag that is just a little bit larger than my hand when in it's sack. I have never used it but bought it at a tactical store and it went right into my INCH bag.
    Here is a link to one similar that I found.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6TWX7S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

11. Oct 21, 2018 #41

viking

viking

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few Neighbor Contributor

I had a tent that I used when I was hitchhiking up and down the west coast back in the 1970's, it was always comfortable to be in but I always used a rainfly over it that kept moisture from condensing on the inside of the tent. One time while hunting elk at 13,000+ feet near Tincup, Colorado I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag with a wool blanket wrapped around me, I never really got all that warm and when I woke up the whole outside of the sleeping bag was covered in frost as was my rifle, last time I ever did that. First time I took my wife hunting we slept in the canopy of my pickup, not good, lumpy and very cold, wife told me she wasn't going to go hunting again unless we had a trailer, wo we got one, much better but still rather cold, the propane furnace would run through a 5 gallon of propane in one night. When we came to Oregon and went elk hunting we used to sleep in our 1978 Bronco with lots of blankets over sleeping bags. Seems we were always living on the edge of coldness, but it was a good lesson for survival knowledge.

12. Oct 21, 2018 #42

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

We had a little pick-up truck with a canopy. We put a futon in it, sleeping bags, and went camping like that a few times and it worked fine...in Florida in the month of February. Yes, it was cold outside, but cozy enough in the truck. I had forgotten about that. NH went to NY in the fall and it worked for him.
    Those were our days as savages. :D
    More unprepared, didn't have the awesome camping equipment that's available now.

13. Oct 21, 2018 #43

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

She don't give in to problems very easy. But the years after the wreck hasn't been kind to her. She still gives life all she has, just not nearly as much any more. Wears out much quicker and lots more pain daily.

Patchouli and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  14. Oct 23, 2018 #44

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Nobody wants pain. Has she tried the cannabis products? Sorry things are like that.

Bacpacker and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  15. Oct 23, 2018 #45

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

She just bought some of the cream to try. Said it helps her shoulders for a short while, has to keep reapplying it. I'm hoping once it gets in her system it will last longer for her.

MoBookworm1957, timmie and Patchouli like this.
  16. Oct 24, 2018 #46

mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman

Super Friend Neighbor Contributor

I was at 7,400+ feet elevation and slept on the ground with a nylon tarp under me and two down comforters/lap robes over me. Got down into the upper 40's during the night. Cold camp, (no fire), hunting muleys in Nevada. (Early September.) Didn't have to worry about snakes that high! I was packing light so left the sleeping bag and tent in the 5th wheel. Wasn't a bad night. I used one comforter over my feet and legs and the other on my upper body and stayed warm all night.

I've slept outside without a tent many times. When we did overnights in the winter in MT we just threw a tarp on the snow, put our sleeping bags on it then threw another tarp over us. We've slept on two feet of snow in relative comfort. My problem (my wife and kids didn't have this issue) is that I put out a lot of body heat so the snow would kind of melt and solidify under me. Then I'd wake up in a rock hard bed with lumps and bumps in it. We've been out like this when it was around zero (F) and dumped a foot of snow on us during the night and slept comfortably.

Mosquitoes are the most likely culprit to force me into a tent.

We live about half the year in our Motor Home or 5th wheel (just got that last summer) while we meander around Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and southern California.

Hooch, Bacpacker, Terri9630 and 3 others like this.
  17. Oct 24, 2018 #47

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

I think someone else mentioned in the forum that switching brands or strengths helps. My NH has been using one that is a more of tincture you take orally, as well as the stuff you rub on. I will p.m. you the info.
    @mosquitomountainman , that sounds cold. And awesome. I have not acclimated to dry cold. I'm used to bone-chilling, damp cold, no, not used to it. It is more familiar to me so I used to think camping outside in the cold is the worst idea ever.

Bacpacker, timmie and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  18. Oct 25, 2018 #48

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Thanks for the PM Patch!

Patchouli likes this.