Can dogs now spell???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Of course, everyone knows dogs can pick up and understand human words. I can tell my dog to go get his “piggy” or “ball” or “frisbee“ and he knows which one to get. I can say we are going for a truck ride or an ATV ride, and he knows which vehicle to run to.

We can never say words like bath out loud. There are a good dozen words we have to spell out. Yesterday the wife told me she was going to give our dog a B A T H, spelling it out as she always does, and he immediately ran up the stairs and hid under the loft bed.

So, when did dogs learn to spell?

My dogs learned to spell "GO", "WALK", "PARK", "DRIVE", and a few others.
They also learned to tell time with an old analog clock. I would point to the clock and explain that the big hand was on twelve and the little hand was on five then I would feed them. They would lay quietly in the kitchen and at five they came to tell me it was five - time for food.
They learned a lot of things. they knew that when the grass died out the fence would no longer give them a shock going through it... until I wired a ground wire between the hot wires. I almost felt sorry for them when they tried it. They learned quickly that it was always on after a couple of good hits.

There is a theory that dogs can learn 3,000 words. I've never known a dog that knew more than a dozen or so, but maybe it was because there was not teaching of more words. When we were talking about the "dog park," dear Crosby knew exactly what we were talking about, because I had worked with her to know what the words were. She did not like to get in the car, so I told her "dog park" and gave her a treat every time she got in. Later, we had to refer to it as the "canine play place."

Some of the dogs that I pick up and take to the dog park know if I take an alternative route. They begin to concerned and excited when I am not going the normal way, maybe due to construction.

Dogs are much smarter than we give them credit for.

All of mine know quite a few words, some a lot more than others. The common ones like walk, beach, car, treat, ride, bath, critter lol they all know and some can spell. The more I think about it the more words I come up with that the really clever ones know, the one learned "Timmies" so we switched to "drive through" didn't take her long to learn that either...probably because they always give a free dog treat with our coffee if she is with us.

My Grandma had a little dog that was very old. She told us the dog was mad at her because he didn't listen to anything she said. When she went to the kitchen my dad leaned over and clapped his hands together really loud. The dog didn't even flinch. The dog was stone-cold deaf. Several months later Grandma was in the hospital and my Aunt took the dog to the vet and had him put down because he was so bad off. Grandma never did ask what happened to her dog but she knew.
My cat understands everything I say to her. She just doesn't care. :)

We do have a secret code that none of my dogs have picked up on yet, and I am typing this very quietly... Instead of saying the dogs name or the word dog, we use the code "4 legs." At 2 years of age, our current and perhaps brightest dog we have ever had hasn't picked up on this code.

He is looking at me and the words I am typing kind of funny now... :eek:

Alaskajohn,
Last night your dog emailed me the same story. He told me that you are blissfully thinking he is without a clue. :)

Alaskajohn,
Last night your dog emailed me the same story. He told me that you are blissfully thinking he is without a clue. :)

Darned dog, that is the last time I will let him use the computer. He was supposed to be ordering his next squeaky toy off of Amazon. ;)

My dogs learned to spell "GO", "WALK", "PARK", "DRIVE", and a few others.
They also learned to tell time with an old analog clock. I would point to the clock and explain that the big hand was on twelve and the little hand was on five then I would feed them. They would lay quietly in the kitchen and at five they came to tell me it was five - time for food.
They learned a lot of things. they knew that when the grass died out the fence would no longer give them a shock going through it... until I wired a ground wire between the hot wires. I almost felt sorry for them when they tried it. They learned quickly that it was always on after a couple of good hits.

That. Is. Awesome.

I want to see if I can teach my dog to use one of these. It'll help for those times when he just stares and stares.

881f55f50b7df96f8a3a70d34b69e768.jpg

You spelled that once to often
That’s true.
We do have a secret code that none of my dogs have picked up on yet, and I am typing this very quietly... Instead of saying the dogs name or the word dog, we use the code "4 legs." At 2 years of age, our current and perhaps brightest dog we have ever had hasn't picked up on this code.

He is looking at me and the words I am typing kind of funny now... :eek:
He’ll pick up that code soon.
I want to see if I can teach my dog to use one of these. It'll help for those times when he just stares and stares.

View attachment 70533
What is that thing?

That’s true.

He’ll pick up that code soon.

What is that thing?
It's a device with buttons, each button is set to mean one thing, like "eat", "play", "walk", "potty". You can teach your dog to tap to the right one when you ask what they want. Or I've seen videos of dogs tapping on their own to get their owner's attention.

I have several cats who can almost articulate human speech one or two words. two of them answer to their names!
Yes, No, and go out is pretty much it though.

I have several cats who can almost articulate human speech one or two words. two of them answer to their names!
Yes, No, and go out is pretty much it though.
My cat comes when called almost better than the dogs. And he knows what ‘no’ means when I go out in the garage and I want him to stay in the house. Sometimes I let him in the garage if we aren’t going to take the car out.

Last edited:
. When she went to the kitchen my dad leaned over and clapped his hands together really loud. The dog didn't even flinch. The dog was stone-cold deaf. Several months later Grandma was in the hospital and my Aunt took the dog to the vet and had him put down because he was so bad off.
That's it!
I'm checking into hearing-aids!gaah
Every sentence I hear always ends the same: "...I'm not repeating that again!!!:mad:".
I was not aware of the penalty:oops:.
Hopefully the doctor will speak loudly when he says:
"This will only sting for a second."
On topic: Dogs hear much more than we do, in addition to everything we hear.
To them, we are 'mostly deaf'.☹

My daughter was just showing me a video of a kitty that learned to use buttons like this. The one it pushed the most was the button for "mad"...😂
I am not suprised. Between having to choke up hair balls and scat that smells so bad they are driven to bury it...

I would be mad as well.

Ben

That's it!
I'm checking into hearing-aids!gaah
Every sentence I hear always ends the same: "...I'm not repeating that again!!!:mad:".
I was not aware of the penalty:oops:.
Hopefully the doctor will speak loudly when he says:
"This will only sting for a second."
On topic: Dogs hear much more than we do, in addition to everything we hear.
To them, we are 'mostly deaf'.☹
That dog had a lot more problems than being deaf. o_O

I am not suprised. Between having to choke up hair balls and scat that smells so bad they are driven to bury it...

I would be mad as well.

Ben
There's one where the cat pushes the "food" button. The owner says No, you can't have food. Then the cat pushes the "mad" button and the owner says Sorry, no food, do you want something else? The cat then pushes the "catnip" button. I guess if you can't get fed, you can at least get high...😂

Someone told me that if you think cats are zonked out on catnip you should try them on valerian, another herb. You do not want to smell it, I promise you. It is one nasty smelling herb but cats go nuts over it. Catnip=marijuana. Valerian=heroin.
Our dog knows something is going down if I say, "so and so is coming over." Doesn't matter who so and so is, she hears the "coming over" part and immediately is on high alert.

Someone told me that if you think cats are zonked out on catnip you should try them on valerian, another herb. You do not want to smell it, I promise you. It is one nasty smelling herb but cats go nuts over it. Catnip=marijuana. Valerian=heroin.
Never heard of that. But one thing to see is lions on catnip. It affects them too, interestingly enough. There's this south African guy, Kevin Richardson who has a wildlife sanctuary and he has a close relationship with many of the animals there. He's done a lot of videos with him and the big cats, giving them catnip and you can see them rolling around in it and going crazy for it.

O.K. so everything reminds me of a joke. A guy is driving down a country road, and he sees a sign that says "Talking Dog - $10.00". He is curious and stops. He walks up to the house and an older guy comes out, and the man inquires about the talking dog.

" You have a talking dog?"

"Yeah. He's around back."

The man walks behind the house and there is a dog laying there. The man says "So you can talk?"

The dog says "Yes I can." which was shock enough.

The man asks "So what is your story?"

The dog says " I could talk since I was a pup. The Army found out about it, and had me work for them as a spy. Nobody paid any attention to a dog. After the War I went to work for the CIA. When I got to old for field work, I ended up at the airport sniffing out drugs and catching drug dealers. Now I'm retired."

The man is truly shocked, and goes back to talk to the owner. " That dog can talk, and you are only asking $10.00 for him?" He asks in disbelief.

The owner says "That dog is a black liar. He ain't never been out of the damn yard."

Latest posts

Back