Can I just replace the hard drive to start over with my desktop?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hoping there are some computer savvy types reading. Wanna run somethin' past ya.

A couple of months ago, I bought a "new" computer. It's actually a refurbished Dell, Optiplex 9020. It works pretty well but it came loaded with Windows 10. Needless to say, I HATE Windows 10. I really do. I got along with Windows XP just fine for quite a few years. I tolerated Windows 8.1 until just recently. But Windows 10, there is no love here at all. Mostly, I tire of it thinking it needs to by my nanny. It also seems to think I want it completely integrated with my phone, my tablet, and even my wife's computer. Um, NO.

Anyway, I like the hardware. Even with the Windows 10 bloatware, it's a snappy machine. It has an SSD drive (SATA) only, which doesn't offer a lot of storage, but I don't need a lot of storage. Plus, there are other ways to store big files if I need to do that.

So what I've been considering is just popping the SSD out of it and popping in a brand new one, and perhaps beginning fresh with a popular version of Linux, perhaps Mint. Of course, I'd keep the old drive. Other than Windows 10 being irritating to me, it works. I was just thinking that if it were a blank slate, I'd be more likely to adapt and grow with that better than I might on a dual boot setup. And also, if I screw up the new hard drive beyond all hope of recovery, I'd have a point to return to, the current hard drive. (Honestly, I can't think of how I'd screw it up that badly.)

Anyway, I wondered if I am perhaps missing something big in my little plan that is likely to cause me difficulty?? Anything you can think of that's a big gaping hole I'm about to fall into if I try it? The computer was like $250. Another SSD would probably be $50 or so, no real need to go BIG. So I don't have thousands of dollars wrapped up.

Usage is mostly web browsing, watching some online videos of various kinds, bill paying, and I might even play a game or two (Majong or Sudoku kinda stuff, not 3D killem n chillem / rackem n stackem) if I didn't have Microsoft cutting it off every so often to show me 5 minutes of their commercials in order to continue. (I quit playing games on this computer for that very reason. Haven't played in months.)

Figured I'd throw it out there. Might be it's so easy I'll wish I'd done it months ago. (?) Might be I missed something that would screw it up forever. LOL!!

Whatcha think?

@PopPopT My suggestion would be a dual boot system setup. If your existing drive is small another drive could be added and used as the primary for a Linux installation. I actually have a couple of distributions on the same laptop. I am not sure what abilities you have but the link below will give you a general idea. It actually sounds more difficult than it is.

https://fossbytes.com/install-ubuntu-20-04-with-windows-10-dual-boot/
Ubuntu does some things well but not others. There are a multitude of different "flavors". Might take a look at the link below to see which one you might prefer. Mint is good to so you certainly can do alright with that.

https://distrowatch.com/

I am not sure what abilities you have

I'm not sure either. LOL!!

The hardware stuff is pretty easy. Software, maybe not quite as easy. I could probably figure most stuff out in time but don't know if I wanna get too deep into the drive partitioning and bios weeds and such, so to speak. I could if I had to. Maybe that's why I was thinking a basic drive swap. I could do that in about 5 minutes on this computer. Would probably spend hours on how to get two operating systems on one drive. LOL!! Fun, aye?

Reactions: Neb

The hardware stuff is pretty easy. Software, maybe not quite as easy. I could probably figure most stuff out in time but don't know if I wanna get too deep into the drive partitioning and bios weeds and such, so to speak. I could if I had to. Maybe that's why I was thinking a basic drive swap. I could do that in about 5 minutes on this computer. Would probably spend hours on how to get two operating systems on one drive. LOL!! Fun, aye?

Well, give the drive swap a test run. It should work although sometimes windoze cries about a system change. If it doesn't work you can at least stick the original back in.

I would not mess with dual-booting. Because at boot time, you have to make a selection every time (or wait for a timeout that then goes to the default boot device). Most likely you will not be switching back and forth often - only once in a while, if ever. Another downside of dual-booting is that you will always have either: (1) a Windows bootloader that can also boot Linux, or (2) a Linux bootloader that can also boot Windows. This means you will always have a foreign bootloader in the mix. Nothing wrong with this, but just realize that's how dual-booting works.

I would install a hardware switch. Have two SSD's one with nothing but Windows and using a Windows bootloader, one with nothing but Linux and using a Linux bootloader. Then use a hardware switch to choose which OS to boot.

The functionality is: Have both SSD's installed and their data cables connected. But have their power cables go to a switch, so either one SSD is powered or the other, not both at the same time. In the old IDE harddrive days, you had switches that you would set for master or slave to determine the boot device. But with SATA, everything is a master. So no master/slave switches to set. You can just kill power to one harddisk (or SSD) and the other one (that is still powered) will be the boot device. You can buy these switches on Amazon. They have ones that mount on the back panel of your PC or on the front panel. I would recommend a back panel one, since you don't want to go switching power to your SSD's when the system is powered. I would recommend: Shutdown operating system, power off system, flip SATA power switch, re-power system so it reboots.

Here's one such switch (back panel version):

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-protection-Selector%EF%BC%8CControls-Intelligent-Control/dp/B07MJ8YTXV/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sata+power+switch&qid=1611282732&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Here's a front panel version:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Bewinner-Control-Selector-Interfaces-Computer/dp/B07N2FWMPB/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=sata+power+switch&qid=1611282732&s=electronics&sr=1-10

I have no idea if the above two switches are good quality or not - I just queried Amazon to find some examples to show you.

[edit] For some reason, the Amazon links to these switches would not show up in my post. So I have to use [ c o d e ] tags around the links for you to be able to see them. I haven't run into this anomaly on Amazon before. Usually links work just fine ... but not this time! You can copy/paste the above links into you web browser [/edit]

I think it's a good idea to totally power down your computer before flipping the SATA power switch. Depending on build quality of the switching mechanism, flipping the switch with the system powered on (but not booted - obviously!) could still cause power spikes to the SSD's, and that's not something you really want to do. So I'd use discipline and power down the system first, before messing with the SATA power switch. That's also why I would probably get the rear panel switch myself - as a further reminder to not go messing with it on a powered system (because it's hidden in the back). I can just imagine some curious bystander going up to a front panel switch saying, "What does this do?", pushing the switch, crashing your system and doing no telling what to your poor connected SSD's.

Last edited:
I would not mess with dual-booting. Because at boot time, you have to make a selection every time (or wait for a timeout that then goes to the default boot device). Most likely you will not be switching back and forth often - only once in a while, if ever. Another downside of dual-booting is that you will always have either: (1) a Windows bootloader that can also boot Linux, or (2) a Linux bootloader that can also boot Windows. This means you will always have a foreign bootloader in the mix. Nothing wrong with this, but just realize that's how dual-booting works.

I would install a hardware switch. Have two SSD's one with nothing but Windows and using a Windows bootloader, one with nothing but Linux and using a Linux bootloader. Then use a hardware switch to choose which OS to boot.

The functionality is: Have both SSD's installed and their data cables connected. But have their power cables go to a switch, so either one SSD is powered or the other, not both at the same time. In the old IDE harddrive days, you had switches that you would set for master or slave to determine the boot device. But with SATA, everything is a master. So no master/slave switches to set. You can just kill power to one harddisk (or SSD) and the other one (that is still powered) will be the boot device. You can buy these switches on Amazon. They have ones that mount on the back panel of your PC or on the front panel. I would recommend a back panel one, since you don't want to go switching power to your SSD's when the system is powered. I would recommend: Shutdown operating system, power off system, flip SATA power switch, re-power system so it reboots.

Here's one such switch (back panel version):

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-protection-Selector%EF%BC%8CControls-Intelligent-Control/dp/B07MJ8YTXV/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sata+power+switch&qid=1611282732&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Here's a front panel version:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Bewinner-Control-Selector-Interfaces-Computer/dp/B07N2FWMPB/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=sata+power+switch&qid=1611282732&s=electronics&sr=1-10

I have no idea if the above two switches are good quality or not - I just queried Amazon to find some examples to show you.

[edit] For some reason, the Amazon links to these switches would not show up in my post. So I have to use [ c o d e ] tags around the links for you to be able to see them. I haven't run into this anomaly on Amazon before. Usually links work just fine ... but not this time! You can copy/paste the above links into you web browser [/edit]

I think it's a good idea to totally power down your computer before flipping the SATA power switch. Depending on build quality of the switching mechanism, flipping the switch with the system powered on (but not booted - obviously!) could still cause power spikes to the SSD's, and that's not something you really want to do. So I'd use discipline and power down the system first, before messing with the SATA power switch. That's also why I would probably get the rear panel switch myself - as a further reminder to not go messing with it on a powered system (because it's hidden in the back). I can just imagine some curious bystander going up to a front panel switch saying, "What does this do?", pushing the switch, crashing your system and doing no telling what to your poor connected SSD's.

Thanks very much! I like this idea. If the internals of this computer is like I'm expecting, the frame that holds the standard hard drive is definitely large enough to put two of these SSD's right there together. A hard switch would have the appeal of knowing that something on that Windows drive isn't spying on me when I think it's unpowered... unlike the phone. LOL!!

Gotta see about getting a pigtail... :)

Yes, you can keep your old machine alive with a harddrive swap.
I still run my dinosaur with Vista after moving it to a new HD I installed.
It was the best stuff Microsoft made before they made machines "self-aware".
They merged XP with Windows Server 2000 and added the much-needed 'self-repairing' function that servers used. Bullet-proof Vista was born! :thumbs: Still does everything I need to do and fast.
They realized their mistake and tried constantly to get people to upgrade to 8.1 and 10 (it's FREE!!!!) to get the machines back under control. My motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!":waiting:
Like you, I played with 8 & 10 on other machines, and they sucked. Always busy, busy, busy, doing what you have no idea of.
brickwall100.gif

Save the old drive and use it as a backup. You can always go back to start.
(That's a pun for us older people who grew up with a 'START' BUTTON.:D
I won't even get into the capabilities that quietly vanished while people were mesmerized by all the new stuff in 8 & 10.

before you take Win10 hdd out, make sure you download any version of Linux ( it will be a iso) you would like to try, then you need to burn it to a DVD. once that is done, take out the old hdd out, put new one in, put the Linux DVD in the try, boot up the machine, and follow the instructions.

If you head over to DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. you can find out the top 100 versions ( based on how many people look at each Linux distribution) of Linux. you can find more info for each one they list.

before you take Win10 hdd out, make sure you download any version of Linux ( it will be a iso) you would like to try, then you need to burn it to a DVD. once that is done, take out the old hdd out, put new one in, put the Linux DVD in the try, boot up the machine, and follow the instructions.

If you head over to DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. you can find out the top 100 versions ( based on how many people look at each Linux distribution) of Linux. you can find more info for each one they list.

LOL!! I can see myself doing that... popping out the old one and then realizing I hadn't made an ISO disc yet. :D

Kinda occupied with other stuff at the moment but will get there. As for the switch, I don't know if I have room for it or not. Might could shoehorn it in somewhere. But I'm kinda thinking of just going simple and popping in a new SSD and seeing what happens. If I find I don't really want Win 10 back, maybe that'll just become a spare drive, not sure yet.

For a while, I had reasons I wanted to keep a Windows product running. I think most of those have pretty much gone bye-bye. No fan of Bill Gates, so that makes it even more appealing to make the switch.

You will complete the move to Linux much faster if you DO NOT have a super easy way to get back to Windows. If you are required to open up your computer and physically swap SSD's, then you're not going to be jumping back on a whim (even though it probably only takes 5 minutes to swap an SSD).

For your stated uses (from your first post), you won't be able to tell if you're on a Linux box or a Windows box. I doubt you'll have any desire to switch back.

The support software will be the key. Word processor, browser, mail, video viewer, and the things that follow. It all depends on the extent of use.

The support software will be the key. Word processor, browser, mail, video viewer, and the things that follow. It all depends on the extent of use.

Yes. At one time, I did some work that required Microsoft Word. And even though the free editions of alternatives claimed to be the equivalent, they were not. They were close, but close wasn't good enough. I'm not doing that kind of work anymore. Need gone. Browsers aren't an issue. Firefox comes loaded in many of the Linux distros. Video and audio stuff that I do is pretty basic and there are decent alternatives out there if I need beyond what a typical browser does already.

It would actually save me money since my wife and I share a monthly Microsoft Office suite that I don't think either of us actually use anymore.

Anyway, I'm seeing how this might work fine for us. Granted, for some people, it really would cause problems. Like you mention, just depends on the extent of use.

Thanks!

I'm not the most savvy hardware guy in the room but a long time ago I had desk tops with removable hard drive bays, I had complete operating systems, and utilities (word.....) mounted on the drive, I could switch drives and it would be like a completely different computer, then switch back if needed. I had 2 carriers and 2 bays installed in my computer, I found it helpful when I would mirror a drive as a backup.

I looked and they still make them CRU-DataPort DP10 3.5" SAS/SATA Removable HDD Carrier (Black)

I'm not the most savvy hardware guy in the room but a long time ago I had desk tops with removable hard drive bays, I had complete operating systems, and utilities (word.....) mounted on the drive, I could switch drives and it would be like a completely different computer, then switch back if needed. I had 2 carriers and 2 bays installed in my computer, I found it helpful when I would mirror a drive as a backup.

I looked and they still make them CRU-DataPort DP10 3.5" SAS/SATA Removable HDD Carrier (Black)

I had wondered whether it might be useful to maintain an external hard drive or whether I could basically use external drives the same as an internal drive. Plug in whatever I want as easy as plugging in a USB stick. Dunno. External drives are pretty cheap these days and it might be a good idea if I intended to keep movies or such on it. I do watch some stuff on the computer but haven't stored much on it.

I had wondered whether it might be useful to maintain an external hard drive or whether I could basically use external drives the same as an internal drive. Plug in whatever I want as easy as plugging in a USB stick. Dunno. External drives are pretty cheap these days and it might be a good idea if I intended to keep movies or such on it. I do watch some stuff on the computer but haven't stored much on it.
Yes, these were about as easy a plugging in a thumb drive, but it held everything.... about the size of a small book, took up the space that a CD drive or expansion slot in the front of the computer.... I had to label them because I quickly found that I could confuse one with another... It also allowed me to have multiple systems, which I wish I still had.

Today, I still have older systems which have 95, XP, 7, or 10: each on a different drive. On some of the operating systems I have to disconnect my network connection because the old software is no longer supported and I have to protect it from being "updated" and made useless by the Microsoft police.

FYI, I am not a fan of the cloud

Latest posts

Back