Can Openers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That only works with spinach cans :(
JoshuaBudich_12up-Spinach_4cdb4d2a-0c40-46bf-985e-674b319adcc8_1024x1024.jpg

I have a Pampered Chef can opener that I’ve had for several years. It leaves no sharp edges.
The last big brand-name can opener I bought was a Kitchen Aid. Worked great until one of plastic handles broke. :(

I like simple, inexpensive and well made in the USA. I'll be going with the Ez-Duz-It.
Unless I can find a new Swing-A-Way in the $20 range.
:)

Last edited:
You can complain about how hard the P38 is to operate, I keep mine on key rings (one wrap of electrical tape to keep it closed in my pocket). When the wife has a problem with a can she just hands it to me and says can you open it with that thing? Never fails, I've been using the same one for over 50 years, it looks terrible, leaves a jagged edge, but it does the job every time..... Thinking about it, it has been on the key ring for about a dozen vehicles, vehicles are gone, but the P38 remains. :) My original was free, it was the FREE Gift in a box of C-rations... ;)

You can complain about how hard the P38 is to operate, I keep mine on key rings (one wrap of electrical tape to keep it closed in my pocket). When the wife has a problem with a can she just hands it to me and says can you open it with that thing? Never fails, I've been using the same one for over 50 years, it looks terrible, leaves a jagged edge, but it does the job every time..... Thinking about it, it has been on the key ring for about a dozen vehicles, vehicles are gone, but the P38 remains. :)
I went with P51's for more length/leverage, and still no longer than the average house key. ;)

They're really not hard use to once a person gets the hang of it, and they are as reliable and simple as it gets. I'll always have one in my car or truck, whatever I'm driving.

I've joked about 'em causing carpel tunnel syndrome, but my wrist must have use to using those. Doesn't bother me anymore, but with age goes all good things.... Best to be prepared. 😄

re: can-opener site.
I can't think of any other post I've read recently for my learning new ideas; I didn't know there was such a choice for such an arcane subject as can-openers.

Several things Dawn and I learned were yes, the B-52 is great, but we're down to our last one; and no, you still can't find a 1950's manual can-opener (usually with a corkscrew in the handle) which used the same approach as the earlier P-38 and P-52.

re: can-opener site.
I can't think of any other post I've read recently for my learning new ideas; I didn't know there was such a choice for such an arcane subject as can-openers.

Several things Dawn and I learned were yes, the B-52 is great, but we're down to our last one; and no, you still can't find a 1950's manual can-opener (usually with a corkscrew in the handle) which used the same approach as the earlier P-38 and P-52.
I went looking because I am convinced The Princess has one but it must be with her stash of cork screws. Could find the cork screws but did find her collection of can openers.

20240411_211851_HDR.jpg

Ben

I have a number of ones like both Forcast and Neb pictured.. If I had to carry a pack again I would pack one the size of the lime green one.. Easier to use and worth the extra space it takes.. Lime green, yellow, other bright colors are better as you won't loose them if you drop it in the leaves or tall grass..

I have used a Pampered Chef hand powered side cutter opener.. I really liked it.. I need to get an electric and am thinking I will spend a little extra if necessary for a side cut no sharp edges model...

I have used a Pampered Chef hand powered side cutter opener.. I really liked it.. I need to get an electric and am thinking I will spend a little extra if necessary for a side cut no sharp edges model...
Come over to the dark side!🧌
32-bux ain't that much, and we don't have to 'hand-crank' things anymore.:)
(see my post above)
Every time I put the lid back on a half of a can of Bush's Baked Beans and stick it in the fridge, I say: "one less bowl to wash":D.

Last edited:
Every time I put the lid back on a half of a can of Bush's Baked Beans ...

Those guys have quite the scam going on here. Our grocery store does not sell normal sized cans from them. They have small cans, and large cans. The large can does not cost much more than the small can, so most people get the urge to buy the large can "because you get so much more for your money!" The leftovers go into the fridge, then several days later, they go from the fridge to the trash. I don't particularly like the things. The wife loves them. So the small can is more than enough for the two of us. With a small amount of leftovers at that. I just threw some of those out today. But even though I know there's no way we'll ever eat a large can of them, I still buy that on occasion "because you get so much more for your money!"

Combine their scam, with my stupidity, and there you have ... well, my situation!

Last edited:
Those guys have quite the scam going on here. Our grocery store does not sell normal sized cans from them. They have small cans, and large cans. The large can does not cost much more than the small can, so most people get the urge to buy the large can "because you get so much more for your money!" The leftovers go into the fridge, then several days later, they go from the fridge to the trash. I don't particularly like the things. The wife loves them. So the small can is more than enough for the two of use. With a small amount of leftovers at that. I just threw some of those out today. But even though I know there's no way we'll ever eat a large can of them, I still buy that on occasion "because you get so much more for your money!"

Combine their scam, with my stupidity, and there you have ... well, my situation!
I love those beans and none have ever gotten tossed.
I do however have to limit myself to a half-can per day or I can't watch TV in the living room with the Mrs.🤪

Those guys have quite the scam going on here. Our grocery store does not sell normal sized cans from them. They have small cans, and large cans. The large can does not cost much more than the small can, so most people get the urge to buy the large can "because you get so much more for your money!" The leftovers go into the fridge, then several days later, they go from the fridge to the trash. I don't particularly like the things. The wife loves them. So the small can is more than enough for the two of us. With a small amount of leftovers at that. I just threw some of those out today. But even though I know there's no way we'll ever eat a large can of them, I still buy that on occasion "because you get so much more for your money!"

That’s what God made Tupperware and freezers for, though I guess you could just put the lid on the can and freeze that.

I have one of these can openers that I keep in my travel bag. I’ve been stuck where a grocery store is my best option for eating and a can opener is vital. I also keep coffee and filters for said emergencies. For when the term, dire straights, applies I carry instant coffee. This opener is small enough to carry in my bag but large enough that I have no problem finding it. I find it easier on my hand than a P-38 though not overly comfortable.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Ho...GLQSCDO7KI4F56GY&searchidx=19&option=68790745

I notice that with the beans. I was guilty of the large can going to waste. Now I divide the beans into small Ziploc and freeze. Since its just me it works. But i also divide up the hotdogs and even buns and freeze.

Latest posts

Back