Can someone identify this plant?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Meerkat Its a shame people hate it... It's a medicine, it does many of the same things ginseng does. It's much weaker though. I know a few people who use it in their flu remedies. Someone has the flu, gets run down, doesn't sleep well... the smilax provides a "gentle pick me up".

In early spring the runners/buds are edible... yummy. I cut them up and fry them in butter like I would asparagus... ;) I sometimes eat them raw... many time I'll find the tops already bitten out, deer absolutely love the rich nutrition when there isn't much else growing.

Smilax 1_v1.jpg

Against my thumb is one of the growing buds I would break off for food. The root/tuber is used for medicine.

Smilax 2 .jpg

Edited to add a picture of the tuber... It's going to be about 2ft down, just hope you aren't digging in hard red clay... Also, if you are trying to kill it... cutting it off at ground level isn't going to work. As long as the root system and the tuber are intact it will continue to sprout. It can be killed but it will take about two years and a big pair of pruning shears, about 2ft long, for tree limbs. Every time you see it sprout, cut it off... eventually it will stop sprouting..

A pic of the size bull briar gets around here...

Cat briar 01.jpg
Cat briar 03.jpg

Edited again to add for clarification... If you keep cutting it off a ground level every time it sprouts eventually it will use up all the food stored in the tuber. Once the food is gone the root system dies. It takes about 2 years, check it every 2 or 3 weeks.

Last edited:
The comments on the link are very informative. I've seen that plant, had no idea it was a weed. I like it but have fought it, never gave it much thought, except for the thorny stickers.
It can take down a tree, it can be used a variety of ways for food. Deer eat it.

Against my thumb is one of the growing buds I would break off for food. The root/tuber is used for medicine.

View attachment 10064

Edited to add a picture of the tuber... It's going to be about 2ft down, just hope you aren't digging in hard red clay... Also, if you are trying to kill it... cutting it off at ground level isn't going to work. As long as the root system and the tuber are intact it will continue to sprout. It can be killed but it will take about two years and a big pair of pruning shears, about 2ft long, for tree limbs. Every time you see it sprout, cut it off... eventually it will stop sprouting..

A pic of the size bull briar gets around here...

View attachment 10065 View attachment 10066

Edited again to add for clarification... If you keep cutting it off a ground level every time it sprouts eventually it will use up all the food stored in the tuber. Once the food is gone the root system dies. It takes about 2 years, check it every 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes I think that is the one. Only some here get alot bigger than that. Maybe because they are so old. Nobody lived here since the early 1950s. The place was a jungle when we bought it 21 years ago. Had about 2 acre's cleared and a trail around it.
Some you can use a machette on but others take saw. We have cut down 1000s of them over the years.
Maybe will try some of the edible parts later.

The comments on the link are very informative. I've seen that plant, had no idea it was a weed. I like it but have fought it, never gave it much thought, except for the thorny stickers.
It can take down a tree, it can be used a variety of ways for food. Deer eat it.

Patch it is the little thorns that get you the most. They are concentrated and grab at ya. At least the huge ones are further apart and easy to see.

In Oklahoma,they’re just called briars. The “potato” or bulb has to completely be dug out for the vine to not come back. They may even have little feelers that will eventually make new bulbs. We also have them everywhere. My hubby has worked for several years on them and it’s slowed them down. You have to stay on top of them or they’ll come back in different places. Nasty stuff!

In Oklahoma,they’re just called briars. The “potato” or bulb has to completely be dug out for the vine to not come back. They may even have little feelers that will eventually make new bulbs. We also have them everywhere. My hubby has worked for several years on them and it’s slowed them down. You have to stay on top of them or they’ll come back in different places. Nasty stuff!

Plus just the vine layering itself spreads them too.

Not a good pic but this tree is covered with 2 kinds of vines one with thorns and one without. The thickest one is thornless.

Took these a few minutes ago.

ME59BYJ.jpg

Without thorns, maybe muscadines?

f9nXeIL.jpg

That's poke weed eat it and some one going to be pokeing you with a stick any think that you have to boil and drain several times to eat is not worth eating.

I am trying to get rid of that poke weed in the photo I posted. I know I broke it off at least once. What I didn't know was that even touching it can be toxic.

I have chopped it off a couple times and it keeps coming back, so I will poison it now.

How To Get Rid Of Pokeweed In 5 Simple Steps - Coca Crop

"Keep in mind that every part of the pokeweed can be toxic to you. For this reason, you need to keep your hands off this plant. "

It has a big root, the root & seeds are the most toxic.
I saw deer nibble on new growth in the spring, so when it get high & tough I cut & drop it, so the deer will eat the new new growth & stay away from my
tomatoes, it worked some what.

It has a big root, the root & seeds are the most toxic.
I saw deer nibble on new growth in the spring, so when it get high & tough I cut & drop it, so the deer will eat the new new growth & stay away from my
tomatoes, it worked some what.
From what I read, glyophosate is what I need to use on it. I am not sure that I have any, but I will look and if not, I'll get some.

@Weedygarden I went back and looked at the first page of posts. Your plant is next to a fence, right?

I mentioned birds in part of a sentence in my reply...

Birds are the most common method by which poke sallet is spread. They swallow the berries. The seeds don't digest. The bird sits on a fence... and poop! A new poke plant is born.

If you have poke in your neighborhood and a fence birds like to sit on... the odds are your battle with poke will be unending. I find it on fence lines everywhere here on the farm. It doesn't have to be a fence, it could be a tree limb or a power line birds like to perch on.

So, don't be surprised if you kill a poke root and the next year there is another poke plant. Just so you know...

@Weedygarden I went back and looked at the first page of posts. Your plant is next to a fence, right?

I mentioned birds in part of a sentence in my reply...

Birds are the most common method by which poke sallet is spread. They swallow the berries. The seeds don't digest. The bird sits on a fence... and poop! A new poke plant is born.

If you have poke in your neighborhood and a fence birds like to sit on... the odds are your battle with poke will be unending. I find it on fence lines everywhere here on the farm. It doesn't have to be a fence, it could be a tree limb or a power line birds like to perch on.

So, don't be surprised if you kill a poke root and the next year there is another poke plant. Just so you know...
Thank you. I had really not been paying attention to this part of my yard until I saw it over the fence. I didn't realize that it is as poisonous as it is. Even touching it is not advised. I think I touched the stalk at least one time when I first was trying to chop it off to get rid of it. Now that I have read about the toxicity, I want it gone, knowing that it may come back in other places. I am also thinking I need to alert my neighbors, because some of them may have it or get it and not realize how poisonous it is.

Last edited:
It not that poisonous. Handling the stalk is no big deal.... As kids we used to squash the berries and write the the juice, throw them at each other... The most painful part was the whipping we'd get for staining our clothes... In fact poke berry juice was used for ink in colonial america.

People here in the south cook and eat poke leaves every spring...

The scoop -
1) a small percentage of the population is sensitive to poke.

2) There has only been one known case of poke toxic overload... kids ate a bunch of the berries and had to be take to the hospital. They both recovered... There has been no recorded deaths caused by eating or handling poke... Somewhere on my computer I have a copy of the news paper article about the kids.

I take poke tincture almost every day. That said, 4 medicine bottle drops per dose and I'll get a funny taste in my mouth... I'm talking about poke tincture I make from the root, the most toxic part of the plant.

When I make root tincture I wear rubber gloves because I'll be handling the root for a couple of hours.

I have heavily sprayed the poke 3 times with Round-up. Some of it is showing the damage of the spray, some of it is still going strong. I will keep spraying it almost daily until it gives it up. It appears that where I have chopped it off, there are several plants growing. It is dark out now, but I will get a photo in the day light.

Reading back through the comments, maybe I shouldn't have sprayed it, but with the dogs that stay with me and the location, and most importantly the fact that it has some toxicity to it, it is on its way gone now.

I have heavily sprayed the poke 3 times with Round-up. Some of it is showing the damage of the spray, some of it is still going strong. I will keep spraying it almost daily until it gives it up. It appears that where I have chopped it off, there are several plants growing. It is dark out now, but I will get a photo in the day light.

Reading back through the comments, maybe I shouldn't have sprayed it, but with the dogs that stay with me and the location, and most importantly the fact that it has some toxicity to it, it is on its way gone now.
One of my last reports on the poke. It is dead. I want to dig up around the root and get rid of that. I will be careful about not touching it.

This one is ugly and is about to take over the farm. Roundup will kill it , but it would take 100 gals.
View attachment 48743View attachment 48744

Jim

The last one is easy... Perilla frutescens. It's used in korean and japanese cooking. The seeds have been pressed for oil for a couple thousand years, it's why the chinese peasants brought it with them to the US in the mid 1800's. In china and india the seed oil was, and still is, used as lamp oil. A whiny doctor somewhere made claims that the smoke/soot for the lamp oil causes all sorts of health issues. Given the state of the internet... these claims have been repeated for years.

It's a mint family plant, has a very potent minty flavor. I nibble in the leaves occasionally, not for everyone, again VERY potent minty flavor.

This one I chewed on as a kid. We called it sour weed or lemon weed.
Any benefits?
View attachment 48738View attachment 48739
Jim

Oxalis - one of them anyway. There are 500 plus species of oxalis.

There is one oxalis with yellow flowers that has a distinct lemon flavor. I like it. Many hikers use it as a trail munchie. It tastes really good. Nibble some, see if it has a lemon flavor.

I'm pretty sure what this is... but the blooms aren't clear in the photo. Do the bloom look like those of a pea?

Chamaecrista fasciculata, the partridge pea - google this plant and look at photos of it. I think this is what you have. It blooms this time of year.

Latest posts

Back