Can You Produce Your Own Pyrethrum?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Following the article published on June 30, 2021, about the origin of the insecticide pyrethrum, I received several questions about the possibility of growing Dalmatian pyrethrum (Tanacetum cinerariifolium) and using it to produce a homemade insecticide.

And the answer is yes, you can grow this plant and therefore eventually produce your own insecticide … but there are certain obstacles to overcome.

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2021/07/02/can-you-produce-your-own-pyrethrum/

Where does pyrethrum come from?

If you’re a gardener, you may have heard of the common trick of planting chrysanthemums around your garden to deter pests. Or marigolds. This is because the flowers naturally are high in chemical compounds that insects don’t like.

One particular type of chrysanthemum, Dalmatian chrysanthemum – Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium (Tanacetum cinerariifolium according to some sources) isn’t typically found in nurseries. Its flowers are very high in the natural compound pyrethrum. It can be used as both a natural pesticide on organic farms and as an insect repellent for humans. As such it’s been called a “green pesticide” and researchers are looking at ways to make more of it.

The use of pyrethrum as an insecticide for the health of crops was a secret well kept by ancient Persians, but its use is documented from around 400 B.C. Japan was the leading producer of pyrethrum before World War II, and later African countries began production.

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2021/06/30/where-does-pyrethrum-come-from/

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/...-cinerariaefolium-packet-of-50-seeds-organic/Pyrethrum, Dalmatian (Pyrethrum cinerariaefolium), packet of 50 seeds, organic$4.95Family: Aster (Asteraceae)Hardy to Zones 5 to 9(Pyrethrum Daisy, Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium = Tanacetum cinerariifolium) Perennial, flowering in the second year and thereafter. Native to western asia and Iran. Flowers white with yellow centers. The buds are dried and ground into insect powder, often used against fleas. The active principles are monoterpenes known as pyrethrins. Plant prefers full sun and regular garden soil, and produces the highest concentration of pyrethrins when grown in poor soil at altitude or in dry conditions. Plant withstands drought and likes lime. High nitrogen fertilizers encourage leaf growth and discourage flower formation. Sow small seed on surface (light dependent germinator), press in firmly and keep evenly moist and in the light. Seeds germinate best in cool soils. Use pots, flats, or sow directly in the garden in the early spring. Seeds germinate in 2 to 3 weeks. Thin or transplant to 6 inches to 1 foot apart. Flowers 2 to 3 feet tall. Packet of 50 seeds, Certified Organically Grown Out of stock Add to Wishlist

This is boring computer voice, but It has good information.

This is on how to at home, she talks until 1:20., in a field.

This is something i'm interested in trying. My homestead is Overrun with ticks and keeping them off of people and animals is a challenge. I tried finding it to buy a few years ago but found that it's scarce and expensive.

The Lady said petals, but It is the center casting that has the oil & crushed seeds, so a blender maybe the best bet & I would never use it to make anything but Pyrethrum. I would lock the blender &cook pot up with the finish product & spray can. I have a flame cabinet this would work well for & it can be locked.

The Lady said petals, but It is the center casting that has the oil & crushed seeds, so a blender maybe the best bet & I would never use it to make anything but Pyrethrum. I would lock the blender &cook pot up with the finish product & spray can. I have a flame cabinet this would work well for & it can be locked.
How about a mortar and pestal for someone who don't want to ruin their blender? 🙃

How about a mortar and pestal for someone who don't want to ruin their blender? 🙃
It would work, but the way DW goes though Pyrethrum, I will need 100 pounds of flower heads to keep up with her & my shoulders can not do that much grinding. I would buy a cheap blender & use it for this. One could build a sorghum press or a hand chopper/ crusher.
The best bet is to get seeds that are from Africa, those are breed to be stronger, no I do not have a source, but you will be the first to know if I get one.

I have not yet watched the videos (put it on the list!), but I wonder if any of them mentioned the relatively short effective "life" of pyrethrum when it is exposed to sunlight.

I would think that for best results, the powdered or spray pyrethrum should be used in early evening hours, that way it has all night to do its thing before daylight begins to weaken its effects.

Yes, the herb rule is cool, dry, dark place/ dark container.
Same for D in milk or c in orange juice.

Yes, this too. ^^^

What I was referring to is its relatively short-lived application in the garden. Unlike some herbs, pyrethrum is rapidly deactivated by sunlight...as in it is no longer effective as an insecticidal after a number of hours in the garden/sunlight. (I am not sure how many hours, though.)

I have used it in the past for fleas on dogs, but not very often in the garden because it is a broad-spectrum insecticide, meaning it kills beneficial insects as well.

I love pyrethrum for certain things, but not if it will put a dent in the beneficial population in my garden (I deliberately plant things to attract good bugs that attack the bad bugs.)

What I would love to know: will it work on stink bugs and blister beetles? I do not know of any beneficial insects that will touch those bad boys!

Last edited:
We use it as a powder around the house, never used it in the garden. It is good for fleas, ticks, roach & lice.

Pyrethrum is really hard on honeybees, having bees most of my life I never sprayed it.
I read somewhere that when you have to spray for bugs in the garden, do so AFTER 4:00 pm in the even, because honey bees are lest active after 4:00 pm.
I can not remember where I read this, but if I had to spray it would be after 4:00 pm.

Pyrethrum is really hard on honeybees, having bees most of my life I never sprayed it.
That's because pyrethrum goes into the joints of any bug, good or bad, that's why when you spray it on them they run around weird, I've seen wasps and Yellowjackets try to sting things close to them.

Back