Canadian man having to pay tax on his solar energy....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This seems so wrong....

http://www.fbnewspost.com/man-is-forced-to-pay-tax-for-solar-energy-he-generates-alone/

If you went through the trouble of setting up a system of solar panels for your home, and you did everything you could do get off the grid, you’d also apparently have to keep your energy production secret. If the government finds out you produce energy, they will tax you and steal your hard earned energy from you.

One man accomplished his dream. Kris Currie fully designed and built his own home that entirely relies upon nothing but its own solar energy, but since the government knows about the solar panels, every month he has to pay money on them.

MORE AT LINK ABOVE

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe Canada supported the Paris agreement on global warming and then penalizes their countrymen who actually practices what they preach. I will never understand governments or the people who run them.

There is more to it. He is on a grid tie system so does ‘sell’ his excess but also does ‘buy’ electric when he is not producing it.

I did not spend a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly is happening, but it would seem he is being charged/taxed for what he pulls off the system, NOT charged tax on what he produces. A few of the comments suggest he could setup a ‘company’ that would exempt him from paying some of the tax, and perhaps get a better deal on the electricity he produces. I would have thought he would have looked further into it while planning his system out.

This is becoming a hot topic in Kommiefornia. if you have solar but are still tied to "the grid", the local electric company now charges homeowners a surcharge to these solar powered homeowners. And believe it or not, Kommiefornia now is exploring options with imposing a sun tax to solar powered homes, again, if they are still tied to a grid. Seems really crazy, but again, this is Kommiefornia, the land of fruits and nuts.

There is more to it. He is on a grid tie system so does ‘sell’ his excess but also does ‘buy’ electric when he is not producing it.

I did not spend a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly is happening, but it would seem he is being charged/taxed for what he pulls off the system, NOT charged tax on what he produces. A few of the comments suggest he could setup a ‘company’ that would exempt him from paying some of the tax, and perhaps get a better deal on the electricity he produces. I would have thought he would have looked further into it while planning his system out.
I'd be untying from the grid, flipping the breaker off. Keep what I produce and go without when I don't. For all the talk about sustainably and going green "they" sure do make it hard sometimes.

Back in 1980-84 the home I lived in was solar and wind generator fir most heat, water, and electricity. The electric meter did run backwards at times. Later utility company changed meter to one way only. No more running backwards. But no penalties or taxes. Was in Littleton CO.

Catch 22 in most places, not attached to grid, no certificate of occupancy. No legally living in home.

If you trip the main breaker I'd think that you are still technically tied in, just not using it. When we aren't in the mountains we trip the main breaker on the pole. Turn it back on when we go up to work. The power company still charges us $15 a month just for the connection.

Latest posts

Back