Canned butter??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ve always been a bit worried about having adequate fats when things get tough. Most of the game in my area is a bit lean. Fats don’t typically have a long shelf life, so I am stockpiling some with decent shelf life. I do have the Auguson Farms powdered butter that has a 10 year shelf life, but it isn’t gourmet quality. Still, better than nothing.

I splurged on the below Red Feather canned butter that has a 10 year shelf life and its supposed to be top shelf stuff. A bit too pricey to stock deep but I thought I would splurge. Variety is important as is having adequate fats. Any other good quality butter with at least a 10 year shelf life that isn’t so pricey?

I have a #10 can of butter from Emergency Essentials, ( beprepared.com ). Haven't tried it yet as it's for emergency use. The company has lots of different products that I have tried and are good.

That is probably pretty similar to the Auguson Farms powdered butter that I have in stock. It’s okay, but hardly delicious. Certainly adequate for SHTF.

The Auguson Farms powdered butter is about 88 cents an ounce. The Red Feather canned butter is about $1.80 per once, so much more than double. Even more expensive when you factor in the reconstituted powdered butter.

Oh @snappy1 get your cape on and come to the rescue 😍 I think Snap has done this. Jackie Clay has instructions on how to can butter also. I've never been that brave.
I haven't been that brave either. I have heard different arguments, good and bad about canning butter. I do have a #10 can of powdered butter from Emergency Essentials that I have never opened and tried.

On another forum there was discussion of the good and bad of canning butter. Looking forward to snappy’s feedback!

I have some of the Auguson powdered, and the red feather, and ghee. Even Aldi sells ghee. I have access to fresh raw cream that I make butter out of sometimes, so I'm not really worried. Alaska Prepper did some good youtubes on maing ghee. Not really hard.
Wondering about butter prices with the holidays coming. I have a bunch in my freezer, but Aldi last year had it under $2 a lb. Saw it for nearly $4 a lb at Kroger recently.

I have some of the Auguson powdered, and the red feather, and ghee. Even Aldi sells ghee. I have access to fresh raw cream that I make butter out of sometimes, so I'm not really worried. Alaska Prepper did some good youtubes on maing ghee. Not really hard.
Wondering about butter prices with the holidays coming. I have a bunch in my freezer, but Aldi last year had it under $2 a lb. Saw it for nearly $4 a lb at Kroger recently.
I have been wondering about the price of butter going up as well. I bought 4 pounds yesterday at Costco for $8.39. I thought it has been more than that at the grocery store, but I don't always check it since I tend to buy the 4 pound package at Costco. It is usually cheaper closer to the holidays for holiday baking, but I'm going to hold my breath for that.

We adopted Red Feather about ten years ago - so those original cans are the ones we are consuming now. There have been several purchases since then......

It is expensive, but great quality/palatability. It is the only butter we use.

The first batch of cans cost about half of what they do now.......so that sort of makes them a hedge against inflation????.......Maybe?

The base stock we are maintaining is about 7-8 cases.

Other shelf stable sources of fats are Ghee, Canned cream (Nestle brand), Canned cheese (Bega), Full cream milk powder, Oil in Tuna/Sardine cans, Fats/lard in Corned Beef cans, Spam (especially the Bacon), Canned Ham, Yoders Bacon, Coconut oil, Canola oil (relatively short shelf life....but cheap to replace).

As others have mentioned, and provided you are OK with relying upon your freezer, you can freeze fresh butter.

Last edited:
We adopted Red Feather about ten years ago - so those original cans are the ones we are consuming now. There have been several purchases since then......

It is expensive, but great quality/palatability. It is the only butter we use.

The first batch of cans cost about half of what they do now.......so that sort of makes them a hedge against inflation????.......Maybe?

The base stock we are maintaining is about 7-8 cases.

Other shelf stable sources of fats are Ghee, Canned cream (Nestle brand), Full cream milk powder, Oil in Tuna/Sardine cans, Fats/lard in Corned Beef cans, Spam (especially the Bacon), Canned Ham, Yoders Bacon, Coconut oil, Canola oil (relatively short shelf life....but cheap to replace).

As others have mentioned, and provided you are OK with relying upon your freezer, you can freeze fresh butter.

Exactly! This is what I am building with my fats and oils. Rotation of what I call my “mid-term“ preps (5-10) years, as opposed to long-term preps. I think I am okay with my long term stuff and I no longer spend much here. At just over 60, almost all my focus is the “mid-term” that I can stockpile and store.

I am actually excited as I have typically considered most fats and oils as a “short-term“ prep of something with a 2-4 year shelf life. Just how I’ve seen things, consumable items, short, mid and long term preps. Nice to be at the age where my focus is short and mid term, and to be able to move an item from my short to midterm prep.

Like @Sourdoughs post about that most excellent smoked salmon. That stuff is awesome and instantly took an item from my “consumable“ list that I categorize as needing to eat within a year to a mid term prep. Stacking that stuff deep too while I consume my consumable supply of fresh salmon that I need to eat within a year.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about the Nestle crema (table cream)...I store alot of that for sour cream substitute.
The Trader Joe's shelf stable whipping cream make a decent butter

I opened a can of Nestle Cream a couple of days ago - and used it to make a garlic cream sauce for some shrimp, squid, scallop and clam meat that I cooked up to go on top of a nice rib eye steak.

It worked out as well as fresh cream would have.

The can had been packed in 2011 and had a best before date in 2013.

Before I open the old cans, I give them a good shake for 5-10 minutes to re-emulsify the contents.

ive canned butter for a couple of years. i think it is best to make ghee----some of the pints of butter i canned after a couple of years seem more cheese like, lol the ghee is still perfect. i guess its a toss

ive canned cheese too---that is still good.

I’ve always been a bit worried about having adequate fats when things get tough. Most of the game in my area is a bit lean. Fats don’t typically have a long shelf life, so I am stockpiling some with decent shelf life. I do have the Auguson Farms powdered butter that has a 10 year shelf life, but it isn’t gourmet quality. Still, better than nothing.

I splurged on the below Red Feather canned butter that has a 10 year shelf life and its supposed to be top shelf stuff. A bit too pricey to stock deep but I thought I would splurge. Variety is important as is having adequate fats. Any other good quality butter with at least a 10 year shelf life that isn’t so pricey?

Might try "ghee", clarified butter , supposed to last indefinitely w/o refrigeration after opening

Might try ghee(clarified butter) supposed to keep indefinitely after opening. Even w/o refrigeration. Should do pretty well if canned.

Latest posts

Back