Canned MEAT-Canned MEAT-Commercial Packed "Canned MEAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
For the intended purpose of this "thread" I don't care what meats you home can, that is very nice, I am actually very proud of you for that. But it's of zero help to those who do not home can.

For this thread.......What store bought commercially canned Meats are you purchasing......???? For this thread "Not" interested in Meat preserved in any method accept "Canned" commercially.

The goal is to trigger ideas to help those who purchase canned meats, have a comprehensive list of what is available. Ideas for any canned meat......If it lives in the water or flies in the air or has four legs.

Thank You.

canned great value chicken is pretty good from what i buy from them.12 pack $19.44

i like canned mackerel. chicken of the sea brand is one of the best i have tried. its a large can. in small cans theres one in olive oil and its great but its as much as the large can in just brine so i dont buy the small as much anymore.its canned by season corp and they say they been in business since 1921.

c207fc60-a759-4e62-8ca0-4e38c70d14c8_1.00f7822433ff0ca88bb82eb9f7a49b44.jpeg

Costco and Sam's Club canned Chicken as well as Roast Beef (when they have it) are staples in our pantry.
Walmart too, if we can't get Costco or Sam's.

We use them frequently, so our stock is rotated.

Also, Hormel Corned Beef, Spam, Bumblebee Albacore Tuna and Dak canned ham.
We have a can of Mackerel, but haven't tried it yet. Just not that adventurous, I guess.

Obviously, check the labels before buying. We look for things without any excessive chemicals. Most of what we buy has just the meat, salt, and maybe some spices.

I also like Vienna Sausages, but with my Gout history, I have to be extremely cautious and limit my intake.

Early Corona-19 I started obsessing about canned meat. I am pretty much restricted to supplies coming from Amazon.com. I got heavy into Canned Corned Beef, I like it OK, not the very top of my meat choice, but it is versatile as far as preparing for meals, or if necessary eating right out of the can cold. I also like that the cans come with their own can opener system, figure this could be handy in a SHTF living in a tent environment. I was paying roughly $4.00 per 12 oz. can now it is double or triple.........but if you search, the time is well spent. I just found some for $6.00 per can. Corned beef is just one more thing to consider.

Libby's Corned Beef 12oz Can (Pack of 6) by Libby's: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Great thread suggestion.

We store spam, tuna, Vienna sausage, hams, salmon, sardines and the like. I will have to try that canned mackerel and the Yoder’s bacon as they sound interesting. We also store items like beef stew. With the exception of spam, everything we store is in our normal diet rotation, but we still eat spam on occasion primarily to not waste it before it’s “best used by” date.

i really like keystone canned mets and buy a couple every months. they have chicken, pork, turkey, ground beef and beef chunks. best prices ive gound is walmart.com. i get the 28oz can, runs a little over $6 a little pricy but pretty good. i also like to get some of the cans of chopped ham when i can--smithfield i think.

They have a descent shelf life.

I "Hope" so. I have a lot of DAK canned ham with a best by date that passed 20 or 30 years ago.

DAK canned ham, from Costco tuna, chicken, and beef. I have a few cans of smoked baby oysters and muscles, packed in oil, for treats. The wife occasionally asks me to grab a couple cans of tunafish from the pantry. I always remind her that we have tunachicken and tunabeef also. I'm currently working on my last case of pre-Fukushima tuna.

I "Hope" so. I have a lot of DAK canned ham with a best by date that passed 20 or 30 years ago.
I've eaten canned salmon that was 20 years old. My only regret is that I didn't have more. As long as the can is good the contents should be also.

We have jack mackeral, salmon, tuna, chicken, sardines, herring. Not so much red meat other than a chipped beef but thay comes in a jar. It is a tad bit salty too. I have a bunch of canned pork and bagged beef from the commodity program, folks give it to me i just need to figure a way to make it somewhat tasty, close even.

I store Good & Gather canned chicken. It is a Target brand and not bad if not a bit salty. I also store canned tuna. I try to get pole caught tuna so the brand varies to what is available at the time.

We use to store spam but no one but me will eat it.

As much as I dislike Spam I would eat it in hard times or if I was in an environment where I needed all that salt. Turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon, ham, beef and bacon are all candidates for meat storage.
If you are in an environment that will freeze bury your cans (protected from moisture) at least 2 feet deep. If a can freezes it is likely unfit for human consumption. We lost a full case of spam up at the cabin to freezing.

I have no fear of fish from the Pacific Ocean. There is less radiation than lead in that fish. Your body can get rid of any residual stuff it doesn't need.

We tend to go with canned tuna, chicken, turkey, salmon and some beef. (listed in order of preference)
On the tuna we go with packed in water for tuna salad stuff, the wife prefers the packed in oil for some of her specialty dishes.
The canned chicken and turkey we use interchangeably for chicken salad or for casseroles in a pinch (assuming we don't have any home canned or fresh).
The canned beef we used to use for BBQ beef sandwiches, till the wife could no longer stand the salt.
We do get some canned salmon, I think the wife will make salmon patties with it in a pinch.....

Spam - I guess you could use it for just about any pork (fried or something) but it is an acquired taste.
My grandpa used a lot of canned deviled meat in sandwiches when he was hunting or camping, he'd just open the can and put the stuff on bread and eat it... it too is an acquired taste in my book.

My dad liked Vienna sausages or beanie weenies, but I always found them to be a step down from a bad hot dog....

My dad liked Vienna sausages or beanie weenies, but I always found them to be a step down from a bad hot dog....

True enough. We cut them up in pieces and put them in ramen soup. This is a good quick warming lunch when we come inside to warm up on the cold winter days. With the right spices they are good this way.

We have jack mackeral, salmon, tuna, chicken, sardines, herring. Not so much red meat other than a chipped beef but thay comes in a jar. It is a tad bit salty too. I have a bunch of canned pork and bagged beef from the commodity program, folks give it to me i just need to figure a way to make it somewhat tasty, close even.
I forgot about the canned pork. I heat it up with an onion and add in some BBQ sauce for an open faced hot sandwich. Any meat that is overly salty I boil to heat and dump the water. Overly salted canned meat can be used in a stew or soup, just don't add any more salt.

From Walmart: canned chicken, Spam, canned pork, roast beef, and Keystone brand canned meats which includes hamburger, roast beef, chicken, and pork. On line order Yoder's Bacon. Locally here I can purchase Troyer's Brand canned meats of all kinds in 14 oz and probably on line. Sams Club I get canned chicken members mark brand, vienna sausage, and tuna fish. Aldi in store I get tuna, canned ham, precooked bacon, summer sausage, corned beef, and corned beef hash.

i forgot about the DAK hams, ive got some too, some kinda old. i prefer to not view them as old canned hams but rather as 'gently aged pork'. sealed cans, no dents or rust or leaks or bulges , id bet still edible.
for me when i come upon an old canned something, either store bought or home canned, i tend to cook it for a bit longer

I've never figured out what the purpose of canned chicken is.

It crossed the Road........slowly.........and got "Canned"......... dancing chicken

Latest posts

Back