Canned MEAT-Canned MEAT-Commercial Packed "Canned MEAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop, you guys are making me hungry! When my wife finds out what I've ordered based off this thread, I'm going to get in trouble as I have already ordered this months allocated prep budgeted items. :)

Tuna
Vienna sausages
Yoder bacon
Hormel shredded ham
Corned beef
Chicken
Stew
Soups (meat based)
Pickled bologna (in large glass jars)

I don't buy the pickled bologna b/c i don't like it. I don't know what the shelf life is, but for those who like it, it can be an option to consider.

Having some Red Feather butter on hand will also come in handy to make some of those dishes that you'll make with the canned meats taste even better. Pair the butter with noodles, bread, rice, etc. Maybe consider stocking up on ghee (clarified butter) if the RF butter is too pricey. They sell ghee in a jar at Aldi and most other grocery stores.

This is a great thread. Having some no-brainer and easy to store foods on hand to get you thru the lean times will be a huge help if things go south. Having cream soups will also help pep up some bland dishes. Adding some cream soup with some cooked rice and a can of meat will provide a good meal that is cheap and will feed many. I also like meals in a can such as the Chef-boy-r-dee meals. I don't eat them often, but they provide calories and don't taste too bad. They are also easily portable. It wouldn't be part of my regular diet, but it sure beats standing in a bread line.

The Princess has a budget for long term food storage and it always looking for deals. Mountain House and Sam's Club is what she has the most of ( I think). She has plenty of stuff to keep a small tribe fed but has turned to what would be luxury food items. That includes the Yodder bacon and freeze dried anything beef. She has started to fill a second room with her cache but here are images of what she has collected.

Disclaimer
I have been allowed to sample any because steak is cheaper but she set about sampling everything available at a prepper expo back in 2010 and chose Mountain House.

View attachment 70092

View attachment 70093

View attachment 70094

View attachment 70095

Ben

Your wife is doing a good job of prepping.

Those freeze dried cans are great for very long shelf life, low energy/fast/simple preparation and light weight. I have a big stock of those types of foods that are packed in exmilitary trunks. The trunks provide a quite fast bug out reaction time while taking a lot of food along for the ride.

Eating freeze dried food is a bit different than eating normal food - so the trunks also have some canned and mylar bagged dried food too (as well as basic condiments to avoid menu fatigue). By using freezed dried as the staples in each trunk, they stay light enough for two people to lift.

A dozen of the trunks gives loading time under an hour and enough food for quite a bit more than a year.

Regardless of where you live, there is always the potential for crises that may require you to leave (or die).

Sweet Sue canned chicken is great!
1627478511261.png

I have a number of different food products I purchased from Emergency Essentials. ( be prepared. com ). They come in #10 cans, and if left unopened, they are said to keep their nutritional value for 20 years. It's a Mormon owned company, and those folks are known for stocking up on supplies. Products are freeze dried and/or dehydrated.

I would like to thank @Sourdough for starting this thread, because of the salt we have been ignoring this, but due to the long shelf life and the way the world is looking I had to stop by that area of the W-mart store and fill a shopping cart.... Mostly the basics, chicken, pork, beef, hams, but I just couldn't resist beacon flavored Spam - I figure if things get crappy I can have beacon with M&cheese ;)

Thanks again to @Sourdough !

I would like to thank @Sourdough for starting this thread, because of the salt we have been ignoring this, but due to the long shelf life and the way the world is looking I had to stop by that area of the W-mart store and fill a shopping cart.... Mostly the basics, chicken, pork, beef, hams, but I just couldn't resist beacon flavored Spam - I figure if things get crappy I can have beacon with M&cheese ;)

Thanks again to @Sourdough !

Chunk tuna also works very well in mac n cheese.

Last edited:
Wow. What comes OUT of the can sure doesn't look like the picture ON the can, does it?

While the thought of canned meat makes be want to go vegan, I do like canned tuna. For some reason, I also buy canned sardines and canned smoked oysters on occasion, despite wondering why I bought them every time I open a can. Vienna sausages should be reserved for wartime use only ... against the enemy.

Sorry, that canned chicken picture looks like something out of an alien horror movie.

I've not seen that brand before. It looks to be about the same price as Troyers brand, but more expensive because of the size of the can than Keystone brand that Walmart carries.

I was just doing some price comparisons, too. It's cheaper per ounce to buy the little packages of pulled pork than a can of theirs. Plus, I like the individual pouches so you're only opening what you'll use. The only Keystone canned meat at my Walmart is the beef and it's definitely cheaper. I'm mainly looking at places like this as a possible back up source if supplies dry up and I can't get what I need at my local stores. I don't see any out of stock notices on their website so they probably have a good setup getting their meat locally.

Amazon seems to confirm that Yoder's bacon is produced by Wirling and Sons on the product page.

Product description
Werling & Sons have been a family-owned and operated business since 1886. They are devoted to supplying the finest quality canned meats at the best prices. Yoder’s Canned Bacon is fully cooked and ready to eat right out of the can. There are approximately 40 to 50 slices of bacon (equal to 2.5-3.5 of uncooked bacon) in every can. Yoder’s cooks their bacon prior to canning, removing all excess fat. It is then laid out on parchment paper, rolled and canned for freshness. This bacon is perfect in emergency and survival situations as it will supply you with the calories and proteins that your body needs. There are 60 calories and 5 grams of protein in each slice. You can eat it right out of the can, pop it into the microwave for a few seconds or warm it in a frying pan. Anyway you serve it, you still have tasty bacon.
Amazon.com : Yoders Fully Cooked Canned Bacon Full Case 12 Cans/9ounce each : Canned And Packaged Meats : Grocery & Gourmet Food

On their FAQs page, it says they offer wholesale pricing on an order of 20 or more cases. If it's a good enough discount, it might be worth it for a group to go together on an order. It also says you can put your own label on their product.

FAQS | Werling & Sons, Inc (werlingandsons.com)

I have bought the smaller pulled pork pouches at Walmart when they have them, just for the smaller sized convenience. They were out last week, but had two cans of the pulled pork Walmart brand, so got those. In the Keystone Meats they had about 10 cans of beef out. I bought 5. They had a chicken can, but I have live chickens and canned chicken, so didn't get that. The beef was $9 a can. Haven't priced Troyer lately, it is sold in a store locally, but in the smaller cans than the Keystone. Anyone try the shelf stable bacon? I saw it at Aldi but have not tried it.

I am in the hunt for substantial commercially canned salmon. Would love to find it packed in oil, at a acceptable price.

Also ordered two cases of this. Don't think I have ever eaten this, and if I don't like it it will be great bear bait, and I'll eat the bear. Seemed like a good deal for canned survival food.

Amazon.com : BUMBLE BEE Chub Mackerel, 15 Ounce Can (Pack of 12), Canned Mackerel, High Protein, Keto Food, Keto Snack, Gluten Free, Paleo Food, Canned Food : Everything Else

i enjoy mackerel. in fact i like it as good as salmon. canned salmon that is..not the fresh stuff caught and smoked by my own hands. nothing beats alder smoked sockeye or kings.

i enjoy mackerel. in fact i like it as good as salmon. canned salmon that is..not the fresh stuff caught and smoked by my own hands. nothing beats alder smoked sockeye or kings.
I have both, mackerel & salmon, but I like smoked mackerel better than just can mackerel, which gives me gas if I eat a lot at one time.

We bring canned meats n other canned goods to our cabin. And usually have some left that would freeze n turn to mush. I've got some in a bucket to use for trapping season. Why not get something from it.
I found this on the web. Works. Scratch the name of the contents on the can . And use a nylon net bag , we have a laundry bag , to hold them in. Before i leave after moose season I can tie a rope on it n place the bag of food in the little pond in front of the cabin. It is in a cool dark environment. Perfect.
Retrieve the bag in the spring when we head out to look for moose antlers in the spring.
I also would like to build a ground vault under the cabin. Dig a hole 5-6' deep. Put some gravel in the bottom for storage n blueboard walls n lid. Go right up to the cabin floor in the kitchen. When we need something lift the lid then have a rack that holds the food or a 5 gallon bucket with a lid to keep things clean . That can be lifted out.
Have any of you other northern guys done os seen this ?

Just a follow up on this. My order of the Rubinstein Red Salmon arrived and it is most excellent. This is definitely quality red salmon that was processed exceptionally well. It lists a 4 year shelf life, but I know it should keep longer. My problem will be not eating all my stash when I have the munchies.

The mackerel? The wife loves it. I’ll just say it is much much better than going hungry! Pretty nutritious too.

Just a follow up on this. My order of the Rubinstein Red Salmon arrived and it is most excellent. This is definitely quality red salmon that was processed exceptionally well. It lists a 4 year shelf life, but I know it should keep longer. My problem will be not eating all my stash when I have the munchies.

The mackerel? The wife loves it. I’ll just say it is much much better than going hungry! Pretty nutritious too.

Yep - all the canned fish types are good for you. The fact that many of us could eat them all the time makes them good for the "store what you eat" concept.

I find that I snack on the smaller tuna cans very frequently, but I open the big 1 lbs cans less frequently. So the little cans are part of my rotation stock but the big cans are less so. Based upon weight of tuna stored, the big cans are probably >90% of my stock - so not much danger of me being left short by routine use.

Virtually every visit to the wholesalers we buy more tuna in oil - it is a bonafide premo prepper food (and the brand we buy have resisted going over to pull tops in their big cans).

Yep - all the canned fish types are good for you. The fact that many of us could eat them all the time makes them good for the "store what you eat" concept.

I find that I snack on the smaller tuna cans very frequently, but I open the big 1 lbs cans less frequently. So the little cans are part of my rotation stock but the big cans are less so. Based upon weight of tuna stored, the big cans are probably >90% of my stock - so not much danger of me being left short by routine use.

Virtually every visit to the wholesalers we buy more tuna in oil - it is a bonafide premo prepper food (and the brand we buy have resisted going over to pull tops in their big cans).

Agreed! And that salmon is good enough to be served in some fancy fufu restaurant on a bagel, cream cheese and capers and a glass of the finest wine.

And yes, healthy!

I can't stop ordering more and more cases of that salmon. If the SHTF I plan to max out my credit cards buying "Survival Salmon".

I can't stop ordering more and more cases of that salmon. If the SHTF I plan to max out my credit cards buying "Survival Salmon".

hmmm. Sounds temping. I may have to try some. My canned meat stocks are not as great as I would like.

Latest posts

Back