Canned MEAT-Canned MEAT-Commercial Packed "Canned MEAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm. Sounds temping. I may have to try some. My canned meat stocks are not as great as I would like.
The problem is as "Alaskajohn" it is so good that it starts as a snack, thinking I'll just have a few bites. Soon the can is empty. That is one reason I am burying most of it. If it is buried I can't snack on a can. I am going to freeze a few cans, and see how it changes the consistency, if at all. There is very little water in the can so I am zero concerned with the can rupturing.

Just a follow up on this. My order of the Rubinstein Red Salmon arrived and it is most excellent. This is definitely quality red salmon that was processed exceptionally well. It lists a 4 year shelf life, but I know it should keep longer. My problem will be not eating all my stash when I have the munchies.

The mackerel? The wife loves it. I’ll just say it is much much better than going hungry! Pretty nutritious too.
A jar of my home canned smoked salmon got lost at the back of the bottom shelf for 20 years. The lid and the seal were intact. It was soooo good. As long as you store it where rust isn't a problem you should be fine.

hmmm. Sounds temping. I may have to try some. My canned meat stocks are not as great as I would like.

Do it! Life is too short for crappy pink salmon or other less tasty preps.

hmmm...at $11 a pound on amazon its a little pricey unless there is a better way to get it.

"Free".....if you move to Alaska, and just catch them or "dip Net" them out of the river..... drink buddy

Last edited:
I buy really good quality tuna in oil for less than half that (also in pound cans).

The main thing is to try plenty of brands/types and find one you really like....... to stack deep.
You keep mentioning oil packed. Any particular reason? Preference, longer storage, etc.? I usually prefer packed in water but could see some benefits to the oil packed as well.

You keep mentioning oil packed. Any particular reason? Preference, longer storage, etc.? I usually prefer packed in water but could see some benefits to the oil packed as well.

Fairly straight-up....in "NORMAL TIMES" packed in water is healthier for most humans who "Don't" as part of their lifestyle "BURN" off the massive calories.
When calories are precious, and calories (be they oil or less condensed) are the bridge to survival, maybe that a month, a week, a day, a few hours.

When guiding sheep hunters in steep mountains of wilderness Alaska, I have "Chocked down" 7,000 calories a day and still lost substantial body weight.

Last edited:

Sourdough is correct - the oil is welcome extra nutrition (whereas water is not). A common way for many European cultures to eat canned fish is by pouring it over freshly cooked pasta - the oil works better with those recipes than water does.

Also the oil decreases the rate at which the packing liquid corrodes its way through the can from the inside out (ie oil is less corrosive than brine).

Corrosion from the inside is the main failure mechanism for cans. Once you eliminate that, the cans may well be good for decades.

I have eaten canned tuna in oil that I put in storage 25 years ago - the advantages of oil packing are proven.

I buy really good quality tuna in oil for less than half that (also in pound cans).

The main thing is to try plenty of brands/types and find one you really like....... to stack deep.

Yep. Same. But I'm always trying to diversify.

Has anyone tried these? I recently found these locally for an average of 7 bucks a can. If they are any good I will grab more. Beef and sea salt are the ingredients.

1631720750664.png

Has anyone tried these? I recently found these locally for an average of 7 bucks a can. If they are any good I will grab more. Beef and sea salt are the ingredients.

View attachment 72327

Good product.......especially good given they do "NOT" add a bunch of water, to dilute what you get. They put the beef in the can "Uncooked" add a very small amount of sea salt. It is then cooked in the can. That is a good price.

Thanks, I found them at our regular store, I never knew they had them. I checked Wally World and they have the beef for 6.50 a can, pork about the same and chicken/turkey was a bit more.

We'll try a can, and if we like it, I'll plan on adding 30 or 40 cans in the next couple of months if it remains available.

Last edited:
How does the Keystone chicken compare to the 12.5 oz cans of Great Value chicken? Flavor and quality? I've been building up a stash of the GV chicken so when I get Keystone I'd rather focus on the beef and pork with a couple of cans of turkey unless the chicken is much better.

I've been building up a stash of the GV chicken so when I get Keystone I'd rather focus on the beef and pork with a couple of cans of turkey
Exactly what we are doing. I like the GV chicken. Just got some more Keystone pork delivered today along with another 12-pack of GV chicken.

Here is a recipe for eating canned tuna in oil (that I have been playing around with....)

Canned Tuna (in Oil) Frittata

Crack open a can of chunk tuna in oil (just enough to pour the oil out). You will need about 1/4pound of canned tuna and oil for each person being served - so size your can accordingly (1 lbs can would feed four - but you will need a big pan for that sized Frittata). I have mostly been making Frittatas with 1/4 pound Tuna cans.

Heat a fry pan and then pour the oil from the can into the pan and spread it across the bottom - in my experiments, the oil seems to be just the right amount.

Take the oil to medium heat and then add 1/4 of a medium sized, finely diced onion per person - fry the onion until starting to brown.

Remove the remaining can lid and add the chunks of tuna to the pan - spread the tuna around and smash the chunks up to about 1/2" size. Fry the onions and tuna until the chunks start to take on a little browning.

Beat some fresh eggs (two per person being fed) - crack some black pepper and sprinkle some grated cheese of your choice into the eggs.

Pour the eggs into the pan - fully covering the tuna chunks - sprinkle some more cheese onto the top of the Frittata as it starts to thicken up.

Turn down the pan to low and put a lid on it.

When the centre top of the Frittata has just firmed up, it is ready to serve. You can accompany the Frittata with any of the normal breakfast foods (like hashbrown, tomatoes, baked beans, fried slices of spam bacon or corn beef etc).

The above can be made with 100% shelf stable foods if you use Ovaeasy egg crystals, canned bega cheese and dried onion flakes (reconstituted ahead of preparation). The sides can be canned baked beans and hashbrown made from Augason Farm potato shreds.

View attachment 72327

We tried a can of the pork two nights ago, made pulled pork sandwiches on Ciabatta bread. It was very good.

I'll be buying more.

We tried a can of the pork two nights ago, made pulled pork sandwiches on Ciabatta bread. It was very good.

I'll be buying more.
What is the shelf life? I might be more cautious with the shelf life on meat than with other canned products, but I would pick up a few cans.

What is the shelf life? I might be more cautious with the shelf life on meat than with other canned products, but I would pick up a few cans.
As long as the can is good the contents are good. Home canned salmon lasted 20 years until I found it at the back of a bottom shelf. I keep wishing I'd forgotten more.

Did you eat it straight out of the can or did you add BBQ sauce?

Skimmed off the fat layer at the top, drained the juice (minimal) and tossed it in a stove top pan and added a half bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy. Warmed it slowly until hot. The meat was melt in your mouth tender.

It was surprisingly good, in a SHTF scenario it will be great, lol.. Half a can fed us with the other half left over for sandwiches the next day. I took a pic of it because a buddy of mine was asking about this stuff. I just recently found it at the local Meijer.

I plan on trying the chicken and beef as well. They also have one in burger.

20211020_180650 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I have all of those canned meats you mentioned and haven't tried any of them.

Yup, us too, I started buying them and just got around to trying it. If the chicken and beef is as good as the pork, I'm sold. We have about 20 cans and I plan on making that at least 60.

Well, we tried a can of the beef tonight, darn good!! We just did chunks of beef (just like a good pot roast) golden potatoes and peas. Very tasty indeed.

And with the other half of the can the wife will make a batch of beef 'n' noodles which will give us a second meal and leftovers from that. 3 meals from one can. That's about 2.50 a meal.

Can't say enough about this, except when and/or if the SHTF, we be eatin' good in the neighborhood..

My "dollop of Daisy" got strung out a little..............................LOL.

20211031_174103.jpg

Latest posts

Back