CANNED ONLY what is the very best (both) Beef and/or Chicken STEW...???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to eat Dinty Moore beef stew fairly regularly, Then I don't know why, I stopped for a few years. I tried a can of it a few years ago and it was a no. I liked to make biscuits to eat with it.
I would say, Sourdough, to try to sample or eat some of all that are available, and make your decision on what you prefer.

I have an idea for you, but this may end up being more than you want to cook up at one time. This has been on my mind since I took some advice here and decided to stock up on canned goods, as opposed to dehydrated and dried foods. I have thought that a can of beef, a can or two of cubed potatoes, a can of carrots, heated together, maybe slow cooked to meld the flavors. All of these are available in grocery stores. Really, this is almost no cooking, just heating up cans of pre-cooked foods. You could also add other things if you want such as peas, onions, corn or anything else. The thing about this is that like this, we would be more talking about soup. Some cornstarch, mixed with some of the juices of one of the cans, stirred into the pot would thicken it up.

Last edited:
Here you go!

20221215_182206_HDR.jpg

When attending college I had a late night course with an early class the next day. I would a can in a microwave for a complete dinner then slept on a couch in a physics lab. Saved me 3 hours of commuting. I love that stuff!

Ben

I would say, Sourdough, to try to sample or eat some of all that are available, and make your decision on what you prefer.
I have been doing that, I have to buy a "flat" (half a case of 12 cans) each time. So far, the "PROGRESSO" savory beef barley vegetable is the winner. And Campbell's CHUNKY BEEF Barley, is the loser.

I have thought that a can of beef, a can or two of cubed potatoes, a can of carrots, heated together, maybe slow cooked to meld the flavors.
I do a can of beef stew, a can of corned beef hash, can of peas, can of cut green beans, two teaspoons of coconut oil, Let simmer for hour, then slowly add enough "Instant Mashed Potatoes" and Uncle Ben's Instant Rice, till thick. (This is an evolving experiment).

I had 4 or 5 cooked chicken thighs, 1 can of mixed vegetable, 1 can of potatoes, Iqt chicken stock or 2 cans, 1 can each of 4 or 5 different beans, 1/2# barley, 1 can crushed tomatoes, garlic, pepper, beef bouillon. Calling that cooking is a stretch. I put it in my slow cooker. That is dinner tonight, and for several other nights. I'll freeze some of it, in zip-loc, for a quick meal. The chicken was cooked with onion and mushrooms and has fed me for 3 days already. You could substitute rice, etc. for the barley.

Last edited:
I have been doing that, I have to buy a "flat" (half a case of 12 cans) each time. So far, the "PROGRESSO" savory beef barley vegetable is the winner. And Campbell's CHUNKY BEEF Barley, is the loser.
I have some Progresso soups that are coming up on their best buy date. I am not a slave to the dates like many others are, but I am working on getting more organized so that I am eating the oldest first. I have eaten a bunch of Progresso soups lately for that reason, and one of the things that I noticed was how salty some of them are. That said, I have always used more salt than many other people, but here I am, thinking that the minestrone that I had a few days ago was too salty. Salt hasn't been an issue for me, yet, but I know it is for some people. I'm just trying to pay attention to that. I have been a soup eater my whole life and usually have some homemade in the freezer and fridge. But I want some for my stockpile as well, and I don't want to can my homemade to put it in the stockpile.

I do a can of beef stew, a can of corned beef hash, can of peas, can of cut green beans, two teaspoons of coconut oil, Let simmer for hour, then slowly add enough "Instant Mashed Potatoes" and Uncle Ben's Instant Rice, till thick. (This is an evolving experiment).
Thats a ramen bomb on steroids type thing right there !!

Latest posts

Back