Canned Tuna after Fukishima....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodness, maybe acquaponics ain't a bad idea, it is just too hot here for us oldsters to keep it cool. Too bad we don't still have the labor of those grandkids lol. They were a lot of help.

VenmonJ, Below is a map off the article you put up. Well guess not.:(:oops:

I think aquaponics are a great idea, I don't think you can raise tuna though. I might be wrong, but I think they need oceans to feed from, waves, salt water. There are many other fish a person can grow with aquaponics though.

Last edited:
I thin aquaponics are a great idea, I don't think you can raise tuna though. I might be wrong, but I think they need oceans to feed from, waves, salt water. There are many other fish a person can grow with aquaponics though.

Yes there are several kinds of fish water fish you can raise in Aquaponic's.
Below are top five,

Goodness, maybe acquaponics ain't a bad idea, it is just too hot here for us oldsters to keep it cool. Too bad we don't still have the labor of those grandkids lol. They were a lot of help.

VenmonJ, Below is a map off the article you put up. Well guess not.:(:oops:

AA90B495-C7FC-44BA-8E39-11352A138A11.jpeg

There it is but small.

Most of the fish that have been tested when taken from the waters east of Japan have been found to have small amounts of radioactivity however the radioactive isotopes are concentrated in the bones and not in the flesh. The isotopes also break down at a faster rate when consumed than they do in the minerals that absorb them. It takes about three weeks to two months for the radioactivity to drop to background level in the tissues of live animals. The tuna, cod and other fish in the Pacific are quite safe to eat. Tuna has a higher risk of dangerous mercury levels than danger from radioactivity.

At twice the background level there isn't enough cesium in the wine to even worry about. You would get much more exposure to far deadlier radioactivity by flying across the nation or to Europe or the far east.
Live your life and quit worrying about insignificant trivialities.

The thing that has me worried is the die off of sea birds, sea mammals, and fish in the Pacific. If I could trust the government or industry to monitor radiation and accurately report it that would go a long way towards my being comfortable with our food supply.

At twice the background level there isn't enough cesium in the wine to even worry about.

That's true, which is why I said "I suppose that will give the next generation a new meaning for "Let's get LIT!"

The stuff keeps on spewing and coming across the pond...I wonder when it will stop?

I love all sea food. Since Fukushima I've limited myself to alabama farm raised catfish, wild caught gulf shrimp and gulf oysters. I love snow crab but I'm not about to go to red lobster now... Science tells us pacific seafood is safe, just like they told us DDT was safe in the 30's and 40's. BS...

Get yourself a Geiger counter and check it yourself.
If you keep the cesium 134 in storage for 12 years it will be down to background levels. (1.6% of what it started with)
Keep in mind that cesium 134 is from Fukushima and the cesium 137 is left over from the nuclear testing. Most of the cesium in the pacific is cesium 137.
Regardless the levels of both isotopes are diminishing and not increasing. They are both at about 2% of what is considered safe in drinking water.
Cesium 134 has a biological half life of less than 110 days. That means that in six years the cesium has been all but completely flushed from the system.
That is the same for fish and you. At present levels it would be difficult to get any meaningful dose of radiation from the ocean or its inhabitants.

Latest posts

Back