Canning Butter and Cheese

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, never have. But I have a block of the red cheese wax. I mean to get to it.
Tell how you canned the butter
On the butter , I first watched countless you tube videos showing how others have canned butter and cheese. I finally used a video by Simply Starry ... katzcradel also had great videos but she did pressure can her butter.... I basically sterilized my jars and then put them in a 250 degree oven to keep hot. Then I gently heated my butter till very hot but not boiling . I had my lids on the stove in hot water. and filled jars one at a time and immediately put the lids on one at a time. The jars would ping and seal fairly quickly. I then shake the jars every five minutes or so to keep the liquid all combined and not have the milk fat settle on bottom. After they cool quite a bit I put them into the refrigerator and shake every five minutes till they are solid . Then label and store on a shelf in my pantry. The last time I did this the butter lasted a long time and when I opened the last jars at two years it was still great! Others that used this method also had their butter last several years...of course this is not FDA approved but has worked great for me !

I buy butter when on sale and throw in the freezer till I have enough to can. I also teach Culinary Arts and sometime will order bulk from my food suppliers.
On the butter, the shelf life others clain to be years but it has not ever lasted that long for me..We have eaten it all right under the 2 year mark. On the butter , I first watched countless you tube videos showing how others have canned butter and cheese. I finally used a video by Simply Starry ... katzcradel also had great videos but she did pressure can her butter.... I basically sterilized my jars and then put them in a 250 degree oven to keep hot. Then I gently heated my butter till very hot but not boiling . I had my lids on the stove in hot water. and filled jars one at a time and immediately put the lids on one at a time. The jars would ping and seal fairly quickly. I then shake the jars every five minutes or so to keep the liquid all combined and not have the milk fat settle on bottom. After they cool quite a bit I put them into the refrigerator and shake every five minutes till they are solid . Then label and store on a shelf in my pantry. The last time I did this the butter lasted a long time and when I opened the last jars at two years it was still great! Others that used this method also had their butter last several years...of course this is not FDA approved but has worked great for me !
On the cheese, I fill the sterilized hot jars with cheese. I put the jars in the low heat oven or in a shallow hot water bath to let it melt some to fill the jars and then top off with more cheese till they are full enough. And then I just water bath can ....Again others I watch say this will last for several years but we eat alot of cheese so I think the longest we have had it lat was a year and a half...hope this helps

On the butter , I first watched countless you tube videos showing how others have canned butter and cheese. I finally used a video by Simply Starry ... katzcradel also had great videos but she did pressure can her butter.... I basically sterilized my jars and then put them in a 250 degree oven to keep hot. Then I gently heated my butter till very hot but not boiling . I had my lids on the stove in hot water. and filled jars one at a time and immediately put the lids on one at a time. The jars would ping and seal fairly quickly. I then shake the jars every five minutes or so to keep the liquid all combined and not have the milk fat settle on bottom. After they cool quite a bit I put them into the refrigerator and shake every five minutes till they are solid . Then label and store on a shelf in my pantry. The last time I did this the butter lasted a long time and when I opened the last jars at two years it was still great! Others that used this method also had their butter last several years...of course this is not FDA approved but has worked great for me !

I buy butter when on sale and throw in the freezer till I have enough to can. I also teach Culinary Arts and sometime will order bulk from my food suppliers.
On the butter, the shelf life others clain to be years but it has not ever lasted that long for me..We have eaten it all right under the 2 year mark. On the butter , I first watched countless you tube videos showing how others have canned butter and cheese. I finally used a video by Simply Starry ... katzcradel also had great videos but she did pressure can her butter.... I basically sterilized my jars and then put them in a 250 degree oven to keep hot. Then I gently heated my butter till very hot but not boiling . I had my lids on the stove in hot water. and filled jars one at a time and immediately put the lids on one at a time. The jars would ping and seal fairly quickly. I then shake the jars every five minutes or so to keep the liquid all combined and not have the milk fat settle on bottom. After they cool quite a bit I put them into the refrigerator and shake every five minutes till they are solid . Then label and store on a shelf in my pantry. The last time I did this the butter lasted a long time and when I opened the last jars at two years it was still great! Others that used this method also had their butter last several years...of course this is not FDA approved but has worked great for me !
On the cheese, I fill the sterilized hot jars with cheese. I put the jars in the low heat oven or in a shallow hot water bath to let it melt some to fill the jars and then top off with more cheese till they are full enough. And then I just water bath can ....Again others I watch say this will last for several years but we eat alot of cheese so I think the longest we have had it lat was a year and a half...hope this helps

Thank you, Pam! I have seen videos showing how to can butter. I have a friend who told me it is not safe, so that is why I asked you about your previous experiences.

Does any kind of cheese work for canning? I am thinking about mozzarella.

Back