Canning Fish....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
Somewhere the subject got brought up... So a number of times I've had Pacific coast and lake salmon from the far north.. This shared by friends who sport fish.. It was always WONDERFUL tasting.. It never lasted long enough for any of it to get canned... So I looked up the procedure.. The things said have left the impression this procedure is difficult, extra time consuming, and the like.. It appears it pretty strait forward..

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/alaska_can_fish_qtjars.pdf--- ---
Years ago.... I was at a mountain lake where an old guy was catching a bucket full of fingerling, pint jar size, hatchery released trout... He said he was going to can them... I gladly fished to help him fill his bucket..

I don't know if it is, was an approved method at that time or now, but he said his procedure was this..
Clean fish, stack in pint jars like sardines...
2 table spoons catsup
1/4 tea spoons salt
10-12 drops hot sauce He used Tabasco
Fill with peanut oil
I don't know what canning process he used
He said after they sat 30 days in the cool, dark, dry basement they came out like sardines
Eating back bones and all..
I guess the safest idea today is to match the product with an approved process ??

Fish in a pint jar
0 to 1/2 tsp salt
0 to 1/2 tsp oil ( add as much as you wish)
other flavourings are fine
cook at 10 psi for 90 minutes

I remove both skin and bones but others do not. I don't like the black streaks of skin in my salmon. The bones cook soft enough to eat. I'm sure that I've missed bones and never noticed them.

I use the canned fish for salmon salad, casseroles, salmon patties, salmon dip, wiggle, etc.
P.S. Your recipe works better to eat straight out of the jar. I expect mine is better to cook with.

Latest posts

Back