Canning hamburg or burgers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a batch earlier this week. It’s easy enough to do. I browned it, trying to drain off as much far as I can. This was 80/20, and as you can see it will be easy enough to take off that top layer. Normally I use beef broth, but this time I used vegetable broth. 10 lbs would be about a dozen pints. The digital canner will only hold 8. One inch headspace, 75 minutes at 10 lbs if you use a regular canner. Great for chili, tacos, any recipe. I don’t think a Hamburg patty would come out nicely enough, though I haven’t tried it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
I've done ground beef and sausages as well as hotdogs as far as "meats" are concerned. I have not done them in patty form but I suspect the outcome would be fine as long as the basic rules are followed.

If you are cooking the burger first, the fat can compromise the seal.

I make meatloaf and just cram the raw meatloaf in the jar. Turns out great! I have done taco meat with my own seasoning. I think I cooked the burger first, but it was a while back. I don't add broth or water to meat, just dry pack it.

Makes sense onthe fat now, sealing the jars.

i was just wanting to know if it is good and worth canning it or leave it in the freezer , lol.when you said it was great, I will have to try it.

Thanks everyone!

Some have also said the fat can and will go rancid at some point. Mine has never been around that long. I like the canning option in addition to freezing as it allows a secondary option. If the freezers go down things will have to be moved to different storage options. If you wipe the jar rim prior to adding a lid and ring in my experience there is little issue with sealing when done at proper temperature and pressure.

If you wipe the jar rim prior to adding a lid and ring in my experience there is little issue with sealing when done at proper temperature and pressure.

I have recently started wiping the rims with white vinegar for meat to help with cleaning and sealing. Don't try it when PC'ing chocolate milk! I ruined a few quarts as I didn't think about it. LOL

I have recently started wiping the rims with white vinegar for meat to help with cleaning and sealing. Don't try it when PC'ing chocolate milk! I ruined a few quarts as I didn't think about it. LOL

Chocolate milk? I've never even thought of that.

Has anyone does this? Do they taste like a fresh burger? or if you canned loose hamburg, does it taste ok?
i have done chickens and it is delicious, but Never did any hamburg meat.

i know you have to pressure can and all that.
Yes, I did it for years. It does better as just ground meat instead of patties. Though I had a friend who canned his like meatballs. He called them hamburger rocks. I have done it both ways, draining the fat off and then when I went on the keto diet, I kept the fat in it. I saved all the liquid including the grease that was left over and canned it separate from the meat. I used it for gravy, soups and stews. The flavor of meat is really in the fat so it was tasty.

Okay, I was reading about someone canning meatloaf, does anyone here have any real experience canning meatloaf?

We make meatloaf and freeze it, but between casseroles, meatloaf, and other basic stuff my freezer space is high dollar storage at this time and I would love to move more of it to regular shelves.....

ive canned a good bit of ground beef and elk, it comes out good . i do brown it some to reduce water and fat. my sister makes up meatballs and cans them, ive not tried it yet. she says its great to dump out into a pot of spaghetti sauce. i also can up little meat loaves in pint size wide mouth canning jars, they are great to have.

ive canned a good bit of ground beef and elk, it comes out good . i also can up little meat loaves in pint size wide mouth canning jars, they are great to have.
Would you be will to share your recipe for the little meat loaves? Pints are what I am thinking of so any guidance would be great!

I've done the little meatloaf patties in a Cream of Mushroom type gravy. Also a tomato type gravy.They are ok to have on hand for a quick meal. I get about 4 patties per pint size jar. When you are shaping your patties, use the lid to form just to make sure they will fit into the jar. I browned mine and cooked thru first then added in my gravy. Process at normal meat times. 75 minutes in the pressure canner for pints.

Would you be will to share your recipe for the little meat loaves? Pints are what I am thinking of so any guidance would be great!

the little meat loaves are kinda fun. i used to make larger ones in wide mouth quarts but it was too big, so i did wide mouth pints.

i make up my favorite meatloaf recipe---i fill a sterile wide mouth pint jar and tamp the raw meat mixture down good to 1 inch head space--its gonna shrink a bit----put on sterile lids and rings. i pressure can for 75 minutes for the pressure for your altitude.

its that simple.

my recipe has some ground elk, chop celery , an egg for binders and crushed up saltine crackers, salt and pepper and about 1/3 - 1/2 of one ' package of liptons onion mushroom soup mix for a bit of flavor.

to open a jar, itake off the lid, run a butter knife around the jar inside to loosen it and dump it on a plate. you can cook it that way as a mini loaf, slice it for a sandwich or crumble it in some soup or gravy.

these jars are quite handy to pull out.

tdont forget canning some bacon that is great to have on hand too, just took a batch out of the canner. makes the place smell terrific. lol

i get the bacon end pieces to can up---pretty good stuff. i get 3 of the 3lb bags of end pieces for around $8 eaach. , i chop up, cook down to reduce water and can in pints. i get usually 8 pint jars plus a jar of bacon fat.

life is jut a bit better with some bacon, ya know?

i apologize to OP foir bacon thread drift

Okay, I was reading about someone canning meatloaf, does anyone here have any real experience canning meatloaf?

We make meatloaf and freeze it, but between casseroles, meatloaf, and other basic stuff my freezer space is high dollar storage at this time and I would love to move more of it to regular shelves.....

I have and love it. Just use my recipe and it turns out great!

in a Cream of Mushroom type gravy
Do you have any problems with the Cream type soup separating?

i used to make larger ones in wide mouth quarts
The wide mouth quarts indent a little at the top so I thought it would be difficult to get meatloaf out?

The wide mouth quarts indent a little at the top so I thought it would be difficult to get meatloaf out?

true i, wide mouth quarts not as easy to use as the punts for sliding out the meatloaf chunk. they are nice to have around to grab for easy dinner.

Nope, but I do use commercial canned soup when making the gravy for them. They are made to withstand high temps.

Back