Canning JAR price......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
For this be helpful it needs to standard everyday price in your area.

"NOT" some lost leader deal, "NOT" some super special deal VALID only at midnight, if there is a full moon and zero clouds. "NOT" some you found 14 years ago that were mismarked.

Call it the NON-SALE price.

Let's go with one dozen wide mouth 32oz. (one quart).

case of 12 ball brand wide mouth quarts...$16.44

local farm store has them $14.99

buy them now because garden season is at hand and folks will be draining the supplies of them..ball cant keep up with demand anymore since c-19.

Those prices are about what they are here in NY now too. Just one comment I’d like to make, as many of us look for deals. Beware the crafting jars. They look the same. If you don’t know for sure, don’t use it for pressure canning. Mark it, keep it separate, save it for the water bath. The ‘Ball’ emblem isn’t a guarantee.

Those prices are about what they are here in NY now too. Just one comment I’d like to make, as many of us look for deals. Beware the crafting jars. They look the same. If you don’t know for sure, don’t use it for pressure canning. Mark it, keep it separate, save it for the water bath. The ‘Ball’ emblem isn’t a guarantee.
Ball emblem is a brand. Mason in the glass has specific legal meaning and can be used by any manufacturer. Whether it is Ball Mason jars or Acme Mason jars they are designed to hold up to canning. Beware, even if they say Acme they are not designed to hold up to anvils.

Are 64 oz. Canning Jars intended for a specific use..??

Said differently, if you had hundreds of both 32 oz. and 64 oz. jars; "what" would you be inclined to choose the 64 oz. jars for canning.

Said differently, if you had hundreds of both 32 oz. and 64 oz. jars; "what" would you be inclined to choose the 64 oz. jars for canning.

myself i used the 64 ounces for tomatoes of various types and pickled items like peppers and more.

growing up we..meaning my family..used them for tomato stuff but we had grapevines so we made grape juiced.

today myself i dont can grape juice i make my own concentrate that freezes in ball freezer cups they use to make.

most canning tables no longer support canning in 64 ounce jars but any old canning table has info in it for big jars for water bath and pressure canning for correct times and more etc.

as of late i use mine for dry goods as i am not producing the goods i use to and changed directions with cost of lids now.i am saving my supplies set aside for shtf for canning meats mostly. lids for jars are outrageous now..close to 4x they were in start of 2020.

This winter I have started making "COLD BREWED" Coffee, using one quart "BALL" canning jars. But I think I can cut the BS by 50% by going to the 64 oz jars. So I just ordered (6) SIX 64 oz. Wide Mouth "BALL" Jars from Amazon for $16.44

I would agree: orice of wmqts $13-15 regular price (sometimes sales for $12 of course).
1/2 gal jars, I use for storage of grains, beans or dehydrated veggies then vacuum seal them. Oh, or sugar. I also put things like crackers in them because we live in a farm field and mice will get to things in plastic wrappers.
6 of the half gallon jars are about the same price as 12 of the quarts.

I use the 64 oz for dried stuff also.. and when I get raw milk, I will pour my gallon jugs into 64 oz wide mouth jars and let them sit overnight so I can skim the cream off of them before I freeze the milk in gallon ziploc bags.

This winter I have started making "COLD BREWED" Coffee, using one quart "BALL" canning jars. But I think I can cut the BS by 50% by going to the 64 oz jars. So I just ordered (6) SIX 64 oz. Wide Mouth "BALL" Jars from Amazon for $16.44
And, here I thought you were going to start canning salmon instead of buying canned salmon. I never heard of canned coffee.

Ball emblem is a brand. Mason in the glass has specific legal meaning and can be used by any manufacturer. Whether it is Ball Mason jars or Acme Mason jars they are designed to hold up to canning. Beware, even if they say Acme they are not designed to hold up to anvils.
Mason jars sold at JoAnn Fabrics and Michael’s do say, or did last year, not to be used for canning. Maybe yes, maybe no. For me, I will use jars that I believe to be good.

Mason jars sold at JoAnn Fabrics and Michael’s do say, or did last year, not to be used for canning. Maybe yes, maybe no. For me, I will use jars that I believe to be good.
I’ve never seen a Mason jar that you couldn’t pressure can.

Most of my Mason half gallon jars are antiques I’ve picked up over the years. I use them for dried foods like beans, rice, barley, etc. If someone has a link to recipes for the half gallon size I would appreciate it. I could see using them for stew, beans with ham, or other ready made dinners where I would like leftovers. A half gallon of most things wouldn’t get used up. I opened a quart of smoked salmon once and couldn’t eat all of it, and it was good.

I use them to store dry goods in, like rice, beans, flour, noodles, sugar, etc. I think that I read that only a few things are to be canned in a half gallon jar. I don't remember what. I don't use them for pressure or water bath canning.

We've got to where most things we can go in pints. Just the two of us, we waste too much using quarts.
Half gallons are great for dry products of any kind
They quit making the 3 cup jars- it’s just hubby and me and the 3 cup jars are the perfect for greenbeans.

I only buy pints—it’s just Dad and I. The only quarts I have (2 cases) I use for making sauerkraut. I have used quarts in the past for apple pie filling but don’t do that anymore. Half gallon are for dried goods. I’m at the point where I’m toying with the idea of using 8 oz jars because sometimes pints are too big.

Back on topic….Target has the lowest price (non sale) for pints. $11 for regular mouth, $15.50 for wide mouth.

Latest posts

Back