Canning supply shortage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lves-and-price-gouging?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Trouble in store as Covid canning craze leads to empty shelves and price gouging

This article is more than 4 weeks old
Americans turning to gardening during Covid crisis find themselves in a pickle when it comes to finding the right jars, seals and lids

Associated Press
Tue 8 Sep 2020 21.01 EDT

Shares

cucumber, squash and tomatoes pickling in glass jars
Demand for pickling products has boomed during Covid, and the trend looks set to last. Photograph: Yuliia Chyzhevska/Alamy Stock Photo

It’s the time of year when gardeners are turning their ripe tomatoes into sauces and salsas and cucumbers into pickles. But a boom in gardening and preparing food at home during the coronavirus pandemic has led to a scarcity of supplies with which to preserve them.
From Maine and Vermont to Louisiana and West Virginia, gardeners have reported being in a pickle when it comes to finding the right size glass jars, the special lids to safely seal them, or the bands with which to screw them on. They’ve gone from store to store and some have given in to paying higher prices online.
“We have been everywhere,” said Vanessa Ware of Hurricane, West Virginia, who said she went to at least half a dozen stores after running out of supplies for her tomatoes, peppers, corn and sauerkraut canning. She still had enough leftover jars and lids but not the bands, so she started looking – and looking. And a search of online retail sites proved to be frustrating due to price gouging.
The canning industry has seen an unprecedented demand for supplies as more consumers prepare meals at home during the pandemic, said a spokesperson for Newell Brands, owner of Ball, which produces Mason jars and other supplies.

There seem to be more people canning than ever before
Elizabeth Andress, National Center for Home Food Preservation

“The demand has resulted in supply constraints, extended lead times and recently limited product availability at stores and online,” the spokesperson said. To replenish the stock as quickly as possible, the company said it had increased glass production and found additional lid manufacturers.

The scarcity didn’t surprise Elizabeth Andress, project director for the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

“There seem to be more people canning than ever before – from the much higher number of inquiries coming into the National Center for help than in the past, and from the large number of participants I hear are attending virtual food preservation classes,” said Andress, a professor at the University of Georgia.

More people established gardens or expanded their existing plots earlier this year out of initial fears of a possible food shortage or apprehension about going to the grocery store during the pandemic.

The master garden helpline at the University of Vermont Extension has received more than 500 emails and phone calls since mid-March from new gardeners, those who are expanding their gardens or seeking help with plant disease issues, a jump from previous years, said Lisa Chouinard, the helpline assistant.

“I do believe this is due to Covid as more people are wanting to grow their own food, as well as provide food for those who are in need,” she said.

Ware, in West Virginia, was finally able to find some bands for her canning. Her mother-in-law, two hours away, brought them to her. She’s since been able to get more, but only after paying extra because the bands were sold in a package of 12 with the jars and lids, which she didn’t need.

America faces an epic choice ...
... in the coming weeks, and the results will define the country for a generation. These are perilous times. Over the last four years, much of what the Guardian holds dear has been threatened – democracy, civility, truth.

The country is at a crossroads. The Supreme Court hangs in the balance – and with it, the future of abortion and voting rights, healthcare, climate policy and much more. Science is in a battle with conjecture and instinct to determine policy in the middle of a pandemic. At the same time, the US is reckoning with centuries of racial injustice – as the White House stokes division along racial lines. At a time like this, an independent news organization that fights for truth and holds power to account is not just optional. It is essential.

Like many news organizations, the Guardian has been significantly impacted by the pandemic. We rely to an ever greater extent on our readers, both for the moral force to continue doing journalism at a time like this and for the financial strength to facilitate that reporting.

You’ve read more than 19 articles in the last year. We believe every one of us deserves equal access to fact-based news and analysis. We’ve decided to keep Guardian journalism free for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. This is made possible thanks to the support we receive from readers across America in all 50 states.

As our business model comes under even greater pressure, we’d love your help so that we can carry on our essential work. If you can, support the Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

I don't really think it's just CV. They are always in short supply this time of year. It's like trying to find anything during peak season. There were tons in Apr/May when I stocked up for the year. I do think that more folks are canning for obvious reasons, but am not surprised when the stores are out. Around here, lots of pint and half pint jars, it's just the larger sizes that are out as well as lids etc.
Also, might look up reusable lids (Tatler is one brand) so can be less dependent upon annual supply. Again, now isn't the best time to purchase them either.

No jars or lids around here all summer. I have 30 cases of jars, different sizes, so I'm okay there. I've bought lids twice locally and paid too much.

I can't buy a freezer locally either. I want a new chest type in the 20cuft range but I'd have to get on a back order list.

I waited all summer to get a vacuum sealer also.

No jars or lids around here all summer. I have 30 cases of jars, different sizes, so I'm okay there. I've bought lids twice locally and paid too much.

I can't buy a freezer locally either. I want a new chest type in the 20cuft range but I'd have to get on a back order list.

I waited all summer to get a vacuum sealer also.

Did you get the attachment that seals jars? I've had no luck finding that piece.

Where online BacP?

Meer, I can't find where I got the lids from. It was just a pop up ad on some other site I was looking at. I did get what I ordered in about 10 days.
Sorry

Does anyone use Tattler lids? We have some, but never have tried them. Do we need to use them to practice? Or do they act pretty much like Ball & Mason lids?

Meer, I can't find where I got the lids from. It was just a pop up ad on some other site I was looking at. I did get what I ordered in about 10 days.
Sorry

Does anyone use Tattler lids? We have some, but never have tried them. Do we need to use them to practice? Or do they act pretty much like Ball & Mason lids?
I use tattlers. Not for all but some. I had a few years ago some that came unsealed months later. The company told me to finger tight ring, process, after sitting for approx 3 mins to vent, tighten ring. I didnt let them vent. You cant use them if you dont pressure can or boil bath.

Sorry

Thats ok BacP thanks for looking.:thumbs:

My area here in central WV still has zero canning jars, lids or even rings. My daughter in Jacksonville, FL actually bought me 3 dozen new jars (Tomato's did exceptionally well) that I'll pick up in a week or 2 when we visit. She says her area has plenty of all the above. Currently, all of our tomato's are in the freezer waiting to be turned into sauce.

Sorry

I haven't used any of the Tattler life but I know people who have. I would recommend practicing with them. It seems that the tightening is different. I thought I was told to finger seal and crank back a notch? I could be wrong. @lilmissy could probably tell you better.

Grandma had about 40 rings but hundreds of jars. She would take the hard out of the canner, let them cool a bit and then tightened the rings. Before I had to carry the jars out to the pantry in the garage she removed the rings to use for the next batch of canning.

So this lady is not canning because she cannot find rings? Some people just never think.

Did you get the attachment that seals jars? I've had no luck finding that piece.
The hose accessory that came with mine finally broke and replacements are unavailable at this time. I use that feature a lot! There is a YouTube video on how to bypass which I did and am now back in business. I will try to find it and link it.
I have not yet used my tatlers for pressure canning but have for water bath and vacuum sealing with success. They came with instructions and when done as directed work. I forgot a step once and had to redo but that was my error. Again haven’t used them in pressure canner yet. (Just got them a couple months ago.)

Latest posts

Back