Canning supply shortage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Tattler lids for over 30 years for pressure canning. The technique is slightly different than with metal lids. Prior to cooking I snug the lids down but not very tight. Upon removal from the canner I immediately tighten the rings. The plastic lid still takes a concave shape but you don't get the satisfying ping. You will have to rely on visualisation of the lid, and after cooling a test lifting of the lid. It is easier to see the concave lid if you have an unsealed lid to compare it to.

Do not give away the jars you have Tattler lids on. You will not get the lids back. If you do ge the lids back you will not get the gaskets back. No, telling them that the lids and gaskets are reusable, even with a detailed explanation, doesn't help. Asking what happened to the gasket only gets you a blank stare.

Last edited:
I went back to Tractor Supply and got the remaining 10 Boxes of regular lids tax and all $29.
61A4FC09-AEB3-4A5F-9554-A5307F9995CE.jpeg

We use nothing but the Tattler lids and seals. They can be reused many times and it is easy to stack them on a shelf for when you need them.

One of the Walmart's not far from me had a few cases of the six half gallon Ball jars and I grabbed one up. I don't know if anyone is looking for dehydrators but Pleasant Hill Grain has some Excalibur and Nesco in stock. Might make a nice Christmas present this year. About five or six years ago my dil got one of the rectangular Nesco FD-80 dehydrators for $60. They used it mostly for making jerky and seemed pretty pleased with it. I don't know about any of the others but it says the Nesco FD-1040 will expand to 20 trays. Seems like that would be mighty tall for one of those.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/appliances/dehydrators

I made an awesome jar buy at an estate auction last summer so this spring when I saw how things were going I stocked up on metal lids and then hubby told me to buy a tattler lid for every jar we have. He had no idea of how many jars I have... :LOL:
That’s hilarious! Yep when everyone else was buying TP, I got my lids then some Tatlers - but not enough for all my jars!

I just checked my local Walmart and they have Kerr jars, Kerr wide mouth lids and 4 oz. Ball jars. I don't really need any but I'll start getting a couple of boxes of lids in every grocery order to stock up. This will probably be a boom year for production of canning supplies.

I found this tip on another site. I haven't tried it yet, but probably will since I re-use when PCing dog food.

If you have canning jar lids in good shape, boil water with 2T of baking soda and boil the lids for 10 minutes. It puffs the sealant back up, as long as everything is in tact, you should be able to reuse.

When I first started making jam and preserves I sealed it with paraffin and didn't water bath it. If a little mold grew around the edge of the paraffin, we just scraped it off and used it because that's the way it was done back then. I know that's frowned on now but I wouldn't be that worried about reusing a lid for jam if it gets a good seal.

First order of jars arrived today. I can not believe they survived! There wasn’t much left of the boxes the cases were shipped in. All opened and accounted for and only casualty appears to be 1 lid and maybe the ring. I can’t believe it. There was multiple cases per box and hardly any packing in the boxes. All the tape on the bottom of the boxes was opened almost complately. Same with the tops. Unbelievable one top is the only casualty.
praying the next shipment is packaged better but not holding my breath.

Ordered my Tattler lids this morning and received notification that they’ve already been shipped 😁
They tend to ship fast. I ordered some extra rubber gaskets on Monday and got them today. Somehow they "disappear" between the sink and storage bin.

We have switched to Tattler lids exclusively. We order extras too but only Tattler.

Back