Canning supply shortage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am slowly switching to Tattler as well. I wonder if they have thought of a silicone sealing ring or if there is some problem with silicone (that I can't think of at the moment). Living in California rubber goes bad fast with the dry heat.

Silicone is too slippery. To work well you would need a can and lid with grooves for the silicone to fit in. The Tattler seals have a bit of silicone in the rubber mixture and they last a long time if they are cared for.

As
They tend to ship fast. I ordered some extra rubber gaskets on Monday and got them today. Somehow they "disappear" between the sink and storage bin.
I wash them, they get hung around the sprayer. Would be easy for them to disappear. I ordered an extra 2 doz of each size - figuring on the same sort of thing. I am me after all 🙄

As

I wash them, they get hung around the sprayer. Would be easy for them to disappear. I ordered an extra 2 doz of each size - figuring on the same sort of thing. I am me after all 🙄

I think the issue is the kid. Her medical issues cause or include memory issues so when she puts things away she puts them where is makes sense to her at the time and then doesn't remember where they are. I'll probably find a shoe box full of rings someday.

I think the issue is the kid. Her medical issues cause or include memory issues so when she puts things away she puts them where is makes sense to her at the time and then doesn't remember where they are. I'll probably find a shoe box full of rings someday.
Looking at the bright side, maybe it’ll be right about the time you need more.

I know I'm "singular" (yes, I'm being nice to me ;)) but I received my metal buckets yesterday as well as my second order of Tattler canning lids. I was almost giddy as I was getting the lids and seals all organized. I think I'm set for some time so don't have to worry about lid shortages any more :) I wouldn't mind one more box of wide mouth jars just for good measure.

Yep! Same link! We’re going to get to ordering these I think. Clearly y’all have tested them enough to know they are worth the investment

They take a bit of learning. I'd do a load of canned water first so you get the hang of it.

What needs to be done different with the tattlers? I wasn't aware of differences never having used them.
You snug the ring down slightly before canning and tighten as you take them out of the canner. To open you use a table knife or the rounded end of a church key to open the lid being careful to protect the rubber gasket as everything, jar, gasket, lid, and ring are reusable.

Anyone have any luck finding jars recently? Seems they are still in short supply. I was hoping this time of year it might be easier to happen across some but the store shelves they use to be on are now dusty.
thanks
Some months ago there were reports that the jar manufacturers were planning to hold onto inventory till spring. I don't know if this is true and it doesn't make sense to me but those were the reports. Perhaps the dearth will go away soon.

Anyone have any luck finding jars recently? Seems they are still in short supply. I was hoping this time of year it might be easier to happen across some but the store shelves they use to be on are now dusty.
thanks
I found a few case last night at my local Smiths/Kroger. They seems very expensive, $14.50 for regular mouth, 16.00 for wide. Maybe we will start to see some again soon, hopefully not for that much. I can’t remember, what is a more normal price?

In NY, just under $10 was the going price for the last couple of years, with wide mouth maybe a dollar more. Lids, under 3 if I remember. I asked yesterday at Tractor Supply, and they hadn’t heard one way or another on upcoming availability. I think they would have been clued in if there would be a shortage since planograms usually have an aisle or two planned for canning. It was suggested to try the little stores, as they have more flexibility on getting stuff in, if need be.

Just reclaimed almost 3 dozen assorted mason jars. Mom was using them to store stuff in the freezer. No date, mostly no label, and they looked like they had been there forever. Not only did I get the jars but more Realestate in the freezer.

We don't need any jars we have plenty of them ,but lids are getting scarce,so hope we can get more this spring.
On second thought do wish we had bought more pint size jars but can get by with qt.s.

Latest posts

Back