Canning Sweet Potatoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idragrace

Super Friend
Neighbor
I need help!
Was canning sweet potatoes today and accidentally drastically added too much ascorbic acid. Went ahead and canned 7 qts. and then tasted the few remaining potatoes in the pot. Tasted like vitamin c tablets. What can be done to neutralize the taste to make them edible? Will the extra ascorbic acid cause and health issues?

Thanks in advance

Sorry ... I'm no help. We keep sweet potatoes in cold storage.

Wish I could help, but you're out of my wheel house. Hopefully someone can help.

On the bright side you're far less likely to get scurvy now. :)

We also keep sweet potatoes in cold storage but can a few for long term storage.

It is just vitamin C so it won't hurt you. If push comes to shove you could open it all up and mix in a bunch more sweet potatoes and then re-can the whole thing.

Or, maybe just open tgem, rinse and freeze them. Then use them first.

Try mixing a little Sugar with them, it may off set the Tart Taste. You can also Drain the Liquid, replace it with fresh Liquid and re-can them, but they're most likely to become very Mushy.

I need help!
Was canning sweet potatoes today and accidentally drastically added too much ascorbic acid. Went ahead and canned 7 qts. and then tasted the few remaining potatoes in the pot. Tasted like vitamin c tablets. What can be done to neutralize the taste to make them edible? Will the extra ascorbic acid cause and health issues?

Thanks in advance

Why put anything in the potatoes?
We canned 50lb.s a couple years ago and like everything we can we don't add anything but salt in case we want to use in different recipe's . Sweet potatoes can good, we use them for candied yams and they are firm after canning plus use them for pies,etc, .

I'd leave them in the jars and rinse them as you open the jars. I don't think recanning would be a good idea maybe make them mushy?

Thanks for all the answers. I usually add a small amount of ascorbic acid to keep from changing color. These were marked and will stay in the jars until used and then will wash before using.

Latest posts

Back