Car Preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Weedy, I have a folding shovel with coarse saw teeth on one edge. The opposite side I have ground down to a sharp edge and then placed duct tape on the sharp edge to protect both myself and the edge.
I have one of those as well, just not sharpened like yours. A shovel can have many uses.

Last edited:
I've posted this link somewhere before. These tools are all made by a guy in New Jersey. Solid steel, welded. He donated digging tools to our guys in Iraq and Afghanistan for years, a stand up guy.

I have a couple of his pieces, one a shovel that I've used over 15years but shows almost no signs of wear. I'll probably out last me.

His tools are pricey but first rate quality.

https://www.predatortools.com/

We have a road out here in S.W. Oregon that people see on their GPS as a way to the coast, a few years back a family from S.F. decided to take it in spring and ran into snow, which was warned about at the road entrance, their Subaru got stuck, the father got a hair brained idea to hike down the side of the mountain because he thought he saw a home, he didn't make it, he would have been better off to hike the road they came in on, oh and they were all ill prepared, tennis shoes and light clothing. Just by good fortune a private helicopter owner, knowing about this road and putting the information about a cell phone ping, found the mother and children. Most of the people that live around here, hunters and wood gatherers, know better than to go out without proper clothing, shoes, food and water, it's a death wish otherwise. One could say that this is thinning out the lame brained sheeple, if it wasn't such a sad outcome of loosing the children's father. The father of the man that died, demanded that Oregon should close that road if there was any chance of there being snow on it, contrary to the needs of hunters and wood gatherers that know better than to try and push through 3' snow drifts in a shaded corner of the road. We've done this on occasion when we had a full sized Bronco while out elk hunting, but I've never done things that I didn't think I could get out of, come close a few times, but when a person is out in questionable weather situations, it's only common sense to be prepared and don't be a damn fool.

We have a road out here in S.W. Oregon that people see on their GPS as a way to the coast, a few years back a family from S.F. decided to take it in spring and ran into snow, which was warned about at the road entrance, their Subaru got stuck, the father got a hair brained idea to hike down the side of the mountain because he thought he saw a home, he didn't make it, he would have been better off to hike the road they came in on, oh and they were all ill prepared, tennis shoes and light clothing. Just by good fortune a private helicopter owner, knowing about this road and putting the information about a cell phone ping, found the mother and children. Most of the people that live around here, hunters and wood gatherers, know better than to go out without proper clothing, shoes, food and water, it's a death wish otherwise. One could say that this is thinning out the lame brained sheeple, if it wasn't such a sad outcome of loosing the children's father. The father of the man that died, demanded that Oregon should close that road if there was any chance of there being snow on it, contrary to the needs of hunters and wood gatherers that know better than to try and push through 3' snow drifts in a shaded corner of the road. We've done this on occasion when we had a full sized Bronco while out elk hunting, but I've never done things that I didn't think I could get out of, come close a few times, but when a person is out in questionable weather situations, it's only common sense to be prepared and don't be a damn fool.
That wouldn't be Jerry's Flat Rd. by any chance?

I remember hearing about that. Yes, yes, let's blame someone else for our stupidity (speaking for the older father). Foul weather on a road they don't know, uh hu, that's a smart one. (We always carry a shovel in winter, chains, I have studded tires for my car, a blanket year around, matches, rope, etc.)

I have a shovel, folding hand saw, blanket & fire starter kit, first aid kit.
I have an ax, but do not carry it with me.

I want to thank everyone for posting on this thread, I went back and read them all, lots of valuable information... Growing up in the desert we always kept a couple of gallons of water, then when we moved to Colorado the list of supplies greatly expanded.
Today we keep a 72 hour kit and a milk crate full of stuff for the car in case it gets stuck or breaks down, but even that gear needs to be checked or rotated spring and fall....

My first introduction to prepping was a Winter Car Kit. Just a few items we threw in a box, and kept in the trunk of the car. That evolved into a true car kit when I was in Sales covering a radius of about 250 miles from the house. That one was a true 72 hour kit in a backpack. I knew I could survive in my car for that long.

Now I have a true car kit; everything from Weedy's list plus. Food, Water, Clothing, Blankets, First Aid, Fire starter, Tools, Security. I keep a large duffel bag with most of the gear, then a food box, and a backpack. Admittedly, I could never carry the duffel bag; at least not very far. I could get it off the road, and make a shelter. All of those things go wherever my car goes. Good thread. Everyone should have supplies on their car. Countless people have been caught unprepared due to weather or unforeseen emergencies that strand them on the highway.

When I had to travel by air I always ran a scouting mission to find the closest Wal Mart or Target or any similar store, so if SHTF I could get supplies quickly. You will have a few thing with you depending on the length of your stay. Here is a link for one TSA approved travel kit. I have neve been able to fly with a lighter, but maybe if it is in your luggage they will allow it.

Back when I traveled by air, I always made my first stop in the rental car a WM. Picked up food(snacks) and drink, to cover the period I planed to be there. Multi-stop trips are the worst......

I have a travel backpack that can cover about 4 days, it is my go to short trip bag. The one piece of gear that I find most comforting is my little Sawyer squeeze pouch water purification kit, I have carried it around the world and used it a number of times....

I use tins to store small items & transfer it in & out of rental cars.
My last & longest trip was in good weather & well driven roads, mostly home & towns.
I never felt that I was isolated & had every thing I needed on the trip.
One never know what will happen, so the travel kit goes with me in my car or some else car.

Latest posts

Back