Carpet and Mold Q

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I need a quick answer, something I can purchase tomorrow locally at a big box store or Ace hardware.

Q. Mold prevention… Is there a mold preventative spray/product I can put underneath or on the back of a carpet before re-installation?

I had a flooding event last weekend. I believe I have saved the carpet 12x12 (1yrold). I was able to get it up and spread over unused bee hives in the shop with a fan blowing on it early the next morning.

It got 3hrs of sun this morning and has been under gas heat w/centrifugal fans the rest of today. It feels dry and smells fresh.

But...as a preventative... any quick ideas are appreciated. :)

When we were finishing our basement, after some minor cracks in the walls were repaired, we sprayed everything down with a mixture of TSP (trisodium phosphate), bleach, and water. We were told that doing so would ensure that any and all mold was dead and gone before we started to stud out the walls, hang sheet rock, tiles floors, etc.

You can treat the underside of the carpet with Acetic Acid powder which is the active ingredient in vinegar. This will kill any spores that are there and prevent mold growth. Keeping the carpet dry is a good second step (or first step) and keep the temperature below 80F.

I picked up TSP at the big box store in town, 5 minutes in and out, quick, just what I was seeking.

I wasted time and called 5 stores within 60 miles today... No one had heard of Acetic Acid powder. Not quick or convenient.

Anyone else runs into a situation like mine and needs something right away I'd recommend calling around for TSP. The odds are good you'll find it a big box store or a good hardware store.

TSP (1).jpg

I probably should have warned you that you wouldn't find it at a hardware store. Sorry. You can sometimes find in small quantities at drug stores but I always bought quarts from chemical supply stores or ordered it at the local pharmacy. I don't know if pharmacies still do that sort of thing anymore. I know you can't get "fuming" nitric acid or potassium chlorate from a pharmacy anymore. Not since 9/11!

@Peanut ,
Probably wouldn't hurt to run one in there for a while anyway...what with the flooding.

Better safe than sick.

Jim
@Peanut
Only thing I can think of is ...
Run a dehumidifier in that room with carpet for a week or so.

I run one in my Safe Shed 24/7 year round .
Prevents humidity...therefore mold.
( And gun rust )

Jim

@Peanut ,
Probably wouldn't hurt to run one in there for a while anyway...what with the flooding.

Better safe than sick.

Jim

Iagree with both these remedies. Moisture is molds best friend.

Peanut mold can be bad for your health so hope you can get rid of it soon.

When we were finishing our basement, after some minor cracks in the walls were repaired, we sprayed everything down with a mixture of TSP (trisodium phosphate), bleach, and water. We were told that doing so would ensure that any and all mold was dead and gone before we started to stud out the walls, hang sheet rock, tiles floors, etc.

Sounds okbut I'd be concerned about the leaking of chemicals into the environment.

You have to be careful because TAP is strongly alkaline. In high concentrations it can give your skin a burn, just like prolonged exposure of skin to concrete mix can. Tsp is in my wife's book of environmentally friendly cleaners, but is not liked by the members of lake associations because any runoff is a fertilized for weed growth if it gets into the water. A strong concentration that is recommended by Savogran is 1/2 cup of TSP in two gallons of water. TSP dissolves best if the water is warm (dissolve in a small amount of warm water before adding the rest of the cool/cold water). If you are going to paint afterwards give the surface a plain water rinse first or the adhesion of the paint may be compromised. You can order TSP through True Value hardware online and have it shipped freight free to your nearest store - may save you a journey to a big box store (and some gasoline). I really like the cleaning ability of TSP (don't expect much in the way of suds - it works without that), it was even sold in the past a paintbrush cleaner for brushes used in oil based paint. Despite all of the above I think Moldex is a better bet for saving a soaked carpet - apply it and brush the fibers in one direction and let dry (same deal re true Value - and yes I work for one).

We do need to be careful.
I was helping my SIL protect her wood walls usingLinseed oil and trupentine mixture. We used a plastic container and it caught on fire we just did catch it before it burnt down the house. It was on fire when we came back inside after a break. :ghostly:

Linseed oil is one of a few oils that will spontaneously combust. You should use a metal can with a tight fitting lid to place wet rags. It takes very little time to get hot as the linseed oil cures, as you found out.

Latest posts

Back