Carrots and potatoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pressure canning a batch of carrots, and then potatoes. First time pressure canning. Any tips? I have the presto pressure canner. There is no way I could ever afford an All American pressure canner.

Star be sure and wait for somebody who has had luck canning potatoes. I have never liked a canned potato BUT I hear it is because I didn't do it right and there is a trick to it that takes away that bad taste.

When I canned potatoes, I followed directions with my canner. However, they still spill starch during the canning process. I rinse them well before using for mashed potatoes, soups etc. Husband seems to think there is a difference in taste. I don't notice any difference. I did not have success with whole 1 inch red potatoes with skins on. Even my chickens would not eat them. I planted 20 pounds a few years ago that produced 600 pounds of potatoes. I tried everything. Did not like the potatoes mashed and dehydrated and the shredded for hash browns dehydrated. The product was not something I was proud of. Sweet potatoes did not mash and dehydrate into a good product for me.

I cut my taters and do a short soak followed by a rinse. It helps with the starch. Can't help with the carrots, they have to be crunchy or I'm not eating them.

Last edited:
We kept them both in a box of sand in the well house.just layered the sand and vegies. Because of the coolness in there they kept very well. Grandma never canned any of those.

I actually love my canned potatoes! I do peel them unless thin skin. I follow the Ball Blue Book instructions for chunks of potatoes. And then I made steak fries and also sliced for home fries. I figure just different shapes. Pressure canning was scary at first but gets much easier. I have the Presto 23 qt and the smaller one 16 qt. maybe.

I did sliced carrots glazed in orange juice and brown sugar recently. Turned out good.

I cut my taters and do a short soak followed by a rinse. It helps with the starch. Can't help with the carrots, they have to be crunchy or in not eating them.

A couple months ago we canned 25 lb.s of carrots and have been canning carrots for years now.
They come out great ,nice and firm never mushy and we just heated up a qt. last week with a little butter, very good. Plus they say cooking them brings out more vitamin A. :dunno:. Since all they need is warming we put them in recipe's like soup last.

We kept them both in a box of sand in the well house.just layered the sand and vegies. Because of the coolness in there they kept very well. Grandma never canned any of those.

I know why if they came out tasting like ours did,:barf:. And we canned 50 lb.s of the suckers too!:eyeballs: so we ate then but didn't like it. I could calm down flavor if I put enough spices in potatoe salad,still nto that good but could stand it.

I actually love my canned potatoes! I do peel them unless thin skin. I follow the Ball Blue Book instructions for chunks of potatoes. And then I made steak fries and also sliced for home fries. I figure just different shapes. Pressure canning was scary at first but gets much easier. I have the Presto 23 qt and the smaller one 16 qt. maybe.

I did sliced carrots glazed in orange juice and brown sugar recently. Turned out good.

Snap glad you can handle it, we don't even like store bought canned potatoes either not sure what happens when potatoes are canned. :dunno:.
I heard dehydrating potatoes come out good but haven't tried that.

Snap glad you can handle it, we don't even like store bought canned potatoes either not sure what happens when potatoes are canned. :dunno:.
I heard dehydrating potatoes come out good but haven't tried that.
Dehydrating is what they do for instant and au grautin

If you can potatoes then you have no seed potatoes from the leftovers.

I've canned carrots and potato's. Better luck with carrot's. I don't add salt to them when it comes to the entire cooking n canning process.on account each person has their salt intake amount preference . So i add salt when i serve some up to eat.as far as the potatoes goes.they'll become mashed potatoes or potato soup.

Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and beef stock - all canned and stored. Well the onions are dehydrated, canned and stored.
There are a lot of ways to use the single ingredients or you can combine them and make a soup or stew.

Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and beef stock - all canned and stored. Well the onions are dehydrated, canned and stored.
There are a lot of ways to use the single ingredients or you can combine them and make a soup or stew.
I like having canned potatoes in my pantry, but potatoes are something I hardly eat anymore. I have greatly decreased carbohydrates in my diet.
I knew an older retired couple at church who had a big garden. As they harvested from the garden, they cooked up batches of soup and canned it. I thought it was a great idea, to have home canned soup, ready to eat. For me, it was freezing it in single serving containers as I made large batches. I would grab a container on my way out the door to work and lunch was ready. It really helped me to eat more vegetables this way.

Back