Cast Iron Cooking And Collecting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a lid I bent up out of sheet metal to fit a homemade steel casserole pan that I built. It also works on the #9 Griswold we were making the pizza on.

Ah! I found an aluminium lid at Wal-Mart that fits my pizza pan but thought maybe you had found something made for pizzas. I saw a home altered dutch oven that was turned into a pizza pan. Ill try to find a picture of it again. It was a guy on YouTube that had it.

This guys friend took a dutch oven, cut the legs and handle off it and then welded the legs to the lid and the handle to the bottom of the oven.
Capture+_2018-03-08-10-46-56.png

I finally found an Australian supplier of a Best Duty cast iron bread pan with lid!

It's a full sized bread pan and I'm so very, VERY happy!

Regardless of the cost this piece, with it's quality will be a heirloom, heritage piece that will be used for generations to come.

https://www.shopsouthafrica.com.au/...ts/best-duty-superbread-bake-pot-7358-bakepot

I like that! Found a US site that carries them. I wonder how many jeep/gun parts I'm gonna have to let hubby buy so I can order it......

I just ordered one along with a Best Duty #1 potjie (3 liter pot)...

You had better order soon. They now only have "two" Best Duty cast iron bread pan's left in stock... :)

Thanks for the info @Tank-Girl :huggs:

You're welcome.

I'm as picky as they come so when I find something that I like I tend to share it with others esp. ones I know will appreciate it as much as I do.

You're welcome.

I'm as picky as they come so when I find something that I like I tend to share it with others esp. ones I know will appreciate it as much as I do.
And we thank you for that!:) I've got mine ordered.

Last edited:
My out door cast iron pot and bread pan came today. Can't wait to try them out. The piece of wood in plastic is a knob for the pot lid.

View attachment 6042

They look awesome Peanut!

The bread pan looks even better than I had hoped.

What is the finish like inside, please?

I refuse to buy Lodge cast iron anymore because of the rough sub-standard finishes on the cooking surfaces of their pieces.
I spent a fortune on two Lodge loaf pans and I HATE them.
I resent the heck out of the fact that I'll have to put a wire wheel on my angle grinder and go over them myself to bring the inside cooking surface anywhere near to usable.
The Chinese/ Asian cast iron I brought have a much better finish and were half the price.

They look awesome Peanut!

The bread pan looks even better than I had hoped.

What is the finish like inside, please?

I refuse to buy Lodge cast iron anymore because of the rough sub-standard finishes on the cooking surfaces of their pieces.

I don’ know what to say… the bread pan feels just like a lodge pot I have.

I like lodge cast iron, never had a problem with any of it. I used to drive by their factory 4 times a month. I like being able to drive to there and shop for exactly what I need. This is the first cast iron I ever bought that wasn’t made by lodge.

I have 3 skillets that were my grandmothers. There is no name on those so I don’t know who made them.

I like lodge cast iron, never had a problem with any of it. I used to drive by their factory 4 times a month. I like being able to drive to there and shop for exactly what I need. This is the first cast iron I ever bought that wasn’t made by lodge.

I have 3 skillets that were my grandmothers. There is no name on those so I don’t know who made them.

Maybe they're sending their "seconds" here to Australia and charging us double for the privilege.

When was the last time you bought a new one? They have that factory seasoning that is like 80 grit sand paper. Very rough.

When was the last time you bought a new one? They have that factory seasoning that is like 80 grit sand paper. Very rough.

It's been 15 to 20 years, I can't remember the last time I bought anything major. I bought a #6 camp oven for an emergency kit 12 to 15 years ago. It's a little one quart camp oven they no longer manufacture.

It's been 15 to 20 years, I can't remember the last time I bought anything major. I bought a #6 camp oven for an emergency kit 12 to 15 years ago. It's a little one quart camp oven they no longer manufacture.

That explains it. The new stuff doesn't have a smooth surface. Everything they sell now has a very rough finish. I hate it.

I have used cast iron on a glass top stove with no problem.
Slow heating any pan will help to keep it fit for years.
Removing it from the heat after remove the food is another good way to keep it fit.
Sometimes nothing you do will help, then you have a flower pot for small plants.:)

If y'all decide to use the recipe that comes with the bread pan, it makes 2 loaves. Not 1!! I thought it looked like to much dough so I took about a third of the dough and put it in my lodge bread pan and it STILL overflowed the new pan. Pushed the lid right off it.

My brain said it was to much dough but I always follow the recipe the first time. The recipe is wrong....

My first try cooking bacon was with hot charcoal briquettes under a cast iron dutch oven, and hot briquettes on top of it... a minute later when i opened the lid, not only did i burn my bacon, but there wasn't anything left but grease with teeny tiny bits of meat... lol.

Those cast iron dutch ovens are hotties, and cook quick! :brewing: I like 'em, ...once i learned how to use 'em, lol.

Latest posts

Back