Cast Iron Cooking And Collecting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it’s been a long time since I’ve been in this thread. I haven’t cooked over a fire in 2 years. I had my cast iron set out and ready to go the morning I had the brain aneurysm. My outdoor cast iron was sitting by the fire pit ready to go that morning and they remained there for probably 6 months until I just put them them under the deck for another year and a half. The pans ended up rusting up something terrible, I decided last week that I was missing something I really enjoyed. I pulled the pots out and ran them through the E tank and seasoned them. So today if everything goes well I’ll be doing homemade bread and beef stew and enjoying a day fireside.
IMG_0490.jpeg
IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

Well it’s been a long time since I’ve been in this thread. I haven’t cooked over a fire in 2 years. I had my cast iron set out and ready to go the morning I had the brain aneurysm. My outdoor cast iron was sitting by the fire pit ready to go that morning and they remained there for probably 6 months until I just put them them under the deck for another year and a half. The pans ended up rusting up something terrible, I decided last week that I was missing something I really enjoyed. I pulled the pots out and ran them through the E tank and seasoned them. So today if everything goes well I’ll be doing homemade bread and beef stew and enjoying a day fireside.
View attachment 116138View attachment 116139

View attachment 116137
Y'all are going to have a great day!!♥️

These pans are pitted up now but I think they will cook fine.
You can grind them down to a smooth finish and they will be better than new.
We just got a chain mail scrubber from Lehman's for ours. I think it will work great.
I bought one from Amazon and it works great.

That is really special, that Jake is helping. Nothing is better than bonding over food especially when it is cooked with love. Wish I have done more outdoor cooking with my kids.
We have had a great time this afternoon listening to old country music and tending the fire. Makes me wonder what the poor folks are doing today!

I bought some of the "find it everywhere for cheap" Lodge cast iron stuff. As soon as I got it home I used my oscillating tool with a sanding disk attachment do smooth out the inside to a glass-like finish. Then I re-seasoned it. Lodge stuff comes pre-seasoned (they say), and it's pretty bumpy under that seasoning. It only took a few minutes with the sander - cast iron is pretty soft. So IMHO, I greatly improved some cheap cast iron with just a little bit of work. I'm happy with it. Nothing sticks, it cooks very evenly. And it was cheap! The 10-1/2" frying pan is about as heavy as I care to go on a stove top routine basis. Heavier stuff on occasion, but not routinely for me. If I'm just wilting spinach where you need a ton of room initially, I'll go for a lightweight pan. I use cast iron for some things, mostly the expensive stuff that I want to come out nicely, but not for everything.

osc_tool.png

I looked back through this old thread and there has been a lot of folks come and go over the years not to mention our previous forum!
I just read through the whole thread. I was thinking about some of the people we haven't seen in a while: Innkeeper (formerly known as Bug out Bob), Gumpy, timmie, Barbecue Joe and more. I wonder how many of them are even still alive. People seem to come, hang out for a while and then disappear.

I have a question for cast iron folks. I am looking at getting a cast iron waffle maker. There are two styles: the taller (6-ish") version and the short more direct heat version. Is there a preference? If so why?
ETA: what would you give for one or the other?
1703882081989.png

I have a question for cast iron folks. I am looking at getting a cast iron waffle maker. There are two styles: the taller (6-ish") version and the short more direct heat version. Is there a preference? If so why?
View attachment 122014
I think the tall one is for direct heat/ flames & the short one s for indirect heat/ flame.
The short one should work best on a glass top, but I could be wrong.

I think the tall one is for direct heat/ flames & the short one s for indirect heat/ flame.
The short one should work best on a glass top, but I could be wrong.
Oh - that makes sense. Taller for coals and low for stove. I don’t have a glass top. That’s the person selling them, but I’m thinking over coals sounds more deliciouser 😂

I've never used the tall one, or have seen one of those. But my favorite cousin makes waffles with the short one all the time. They're my favorite! She puts it right on her stove (propane) and does not have a glass top. She always has syrup out for them, but she prefers peanut butter on hers. Price? Not sure. Everyone has had theirs for a long time around here, you know they don't wear out.

View attachment 122014
I have one that more resembles the shorter one, but it does not have the pan with the handle for underneath it. The waffles that mine would make are heart shaped. I have never used it to make waffles. I have it hanging above a door as a decoration.

I have one that more resembles the shorter one, but it does not have the pan with the handle for underneath it. The waffles that mine would make are heart shaped. I have never used it to make waffles. I have it hanging above a door as a decoration.
Me thinks you need to test it out 😁. On the short one, I believe the plate under the iron is a difusser and distributes the heat. There is a swing hinge so you can flip it to cook on both sides.

Me thinks you need to test it out 😁. On the short one, I believe the plate under the iron is a difusser and distributes the heat. There is a swing hinge so you can flip it to cook on both sides.
That part underneath does resemble the frame for a krumkake iron, although it does not have a plate underneath, just the outside rim that helps to hold it steady.

I'm not home or I would take a photo of it and post it.

View attachment 122014
I have a short one and another that’s missing the base and I use both of them on a gas stove. The base makes flipping much easier. I think the tall one would be difficult to heat up on a glass top stove. Be sure to let them heat up for several minutes (I do at least 15) before using them and you will have much better results. Also, I find thicker homemade batter works better than premade mixes.

Latest posts

Back