Cast Iron cornbread

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw this elsewhere and it seemed to good to not discuss here, especially since the DW made some of the best CB last nite I have had in a while. She uses my grandmaws 8'' cast iron pan that has been super well seasoned ( like three generations) ..white cornmeal.. well not really we have a 50-50 mix of white and yellow, baking powder, a TSP of sugar, milk ,egg mix till it will barely pour into a very hot pan with the oil, bacon grease your choice there, then throw in oven set to 450 for about 20 min. I love mine with the pan side crust super crispy. Now served with a pot of pinto's and ham...........

My wife always uses cast iron skillets to make corn bread. For a crisp crust she heats the skillets in the oven with a little oil before she puts in the batter.
She always makes 2 pans. One for me and one for her and my brother, mine does not have sugar in it. I have never liked sugar in my corn bread.
Now you have made me want corn bred for dinner. :)

Yep, gotta go light on the sugar. My recipe calls for some wheat flower, enough so the bread doesn't fall apart. (I use a baking tin, so there ain't enough crust to hold it together.) I inherited Mar's cast iron frying pan, which has been gathering 'seasoning' for around a century. Don't want to mess up that seasoning.

Here is a cast iron cake recipe...

Old Fashioned Sugar Cake
Old-Fashioned-Sugar-Cake-from-Chocolatechocolateandmore-45.jpg

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large egg whites
  • confectioner's sugar for dusting
Instructions
  1. Cream together shortening and milk for about 3 minutes, (it will look like small curd cottage cheese.) Add in vanilla.
  2. in a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add flour, one third at a time to the milk mixture, blending well after each addition.
  3. Lastly, add in egg whites, beating just until all combined.
  4. Pour batter into a greased and floured (do not use a spray) 10 inch cast iron skillet.
  5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, using a toothpick inserted in the center to test for doneness.
  6. Let cool on wire rack for at least 45 minutes before serving, lightly dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Notes

You can also bake this in 10 inch casserole dish or a 10 inch baking pan

Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
This flavorful, moist, and delicious banana bread bakes right in a cast iron skillet making this a great breakfast, snack, or evening treat!

Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12
Author The Cookin' Chicks
Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
3 tbsp sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
3 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1/2 cup nuts, optional
Instructions
Spray a cast iron with cooking spray. *I use a 10 inch skillet, 12 inch works great too
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
Stir until just combined.
Pour mixture into skillet and spread evenly.
Place in preheated oven, 350 degrees, and bake about 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean from center.
Remove from oven and allow to cool a few minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 3, 2012
Buttermilk Skillet Cake with Pecan Praline Topping

This week for the the Joy the Baker Cookbook Spotlight and Cook-Off sponsored by Hyperion and hosted at girlichef we got to choose what ever recipe we wanted to show you all. This recipe caught my eye on several levels........

I have a thing for cast iron skillets.

I have a thing for praline.

I have a thing for buttermilk in baking recipes.

And now...I have a very serious thing for this recipe alone. Ooh....MY....gawd! This cake is flippin' amazing. Light, fluffy....not too sweet because the praline has that roll. And it does it well! The scale is going to be yelling at me if I don't stop eating it.

If you end up purchasing Joy's cookbook....you'll find the recipe on page 113, titled Buttermilk Skillet Cake with Walnut Praline Topping. I happen not to like walnuts. So I automatically swap them for pecans whenever called for in a recipe.

Buttermilk Skillet Cake with Pecan Praline Topping
Printable Version

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
6 TB unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk

Praline Topping:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
good pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts if that's your thing)

Preheat your oven to 375' F. Grease and flour an 8" over safe (ie: cast iron) skillet, along the bottom and up the sides. Joy says a 9" cake pan will work as well. Don't make up your mind yet....please.

I want you to see how big...errr...small an 8" skillet is. You'll see in a minute the importance of this.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, with a stand or hand mixer, cream together the granulated sugar and butter until fully incorporated, about 3 minutes.

Add the egg and yolk, one at a time, beating for 1 minute between the two.

Beat in the vanilla.

Now....with the mixer on low, add half of the flour. Beat until incorporated. Add the buttermilk, and beat again until incorporated. Finally, beat in the remaining flour until almost fully incorporated. Stop beating and continue with a spatula to fully incorporate the flour.

Pour / spoon the batter into your prepared pan.

Smooth the batter in the pan evenly. (clears her throat)....put a pan on the bottom rack. Just in case. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

While things of unknown magnitude are going on in the oven....you should make the pralines.

Combine the brown sugar, butter, cream and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a soft boil and let boil for 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it. It likes to get a little rambunctious....just stir it down.

After 3 minutes, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and nuts. Allow to set for about 20 minutes to thicken up a bit.

I don't know why....something I did maybe? Or just one of those quirks...but (clears her throat)...I had a bit of a mishap.

I'm really glad that pan was in there to catch the mess. At first I was fretting a bit. But then I decided to let it ride. I turned the oven down to 350' and let it cook a bit longer since the center wasn't set yet. And hoped that my house wouldn't be inundated with that burned sugary smell.

Once I had determined (with aforementioned toothpick test) that he cake was done, I let it cool for a minute and then placed the pan on a plate.

It needed examining. How was I going to pull this off? Scrap it and start over? I have a thing about throwing away perfectly good food. So that thought didn't linger long. I considered cutting off all the crunchy edges (oh the pain of the thought) and inverting the pan so the cake would come out. but I knew I'd mess it up even more.

I decided to....embrace the rustic. Forget the perfection and clean beauty of the intention. And just pour the praline over the whole thing....skillet and all

And then discovered the raw beauty that only a cast iron skillet can pull off with such comfort.

What happened next was pure taste-bud nirvana

I want to say....you should probably cook this cake in a 10" skillet or a cake pan. But there's a part of me that has a thing for this bad boy.....just as it is.

Dutch Oven Cheesey Funeral Potatoes
Time: 15 minutes prep + 45-60 minutes cooking
Yield: 20 servings
Recipe from Angela Howells

***Note: We prepped these potatoes using propane powered Camp Chefs, then removed them from the propane and let them cook over the top of hot charcoals and with hot charcoals on top. Cooking them the entire time over the propane can be kind of risky, resulting in the bottom being burned before the top is heated through. Using the charcoal method helps them to cook more evenly. ***

1 C butter
2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 C sour cream
4 pounds shredded potatoes
5-6 C cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper
5 C corn flakes
3 T butter
15-20 hot charcoals

1. Into a hot, deep dutch oven place 1 cup butter. Allow it to melt completely. We used propane powered camp chefs at this point.
2. Add 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and 1 1/2 cups sour cream. Stir it well to incorporate.
3. Add 4 pounds shredded hash brown potatoes. We got ours at Costco. This box has 3, 3 pound packages inside. Stir the potatoes into the creamy mixture and add some salt and pepper.
4. Add 5-6 cups cheddar cheese and stir it in until well combined.
5. Into a large bowl combine 5 cups corn flakes and 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Stir it well to combine. Add them to the top of the potato mixture.
6. Cover the dutch oven and place it over the top of about 10 hot charcoals. Place 10 hot charcoals on top of the dutch oven and allow the potatoes to cook through. Should take about 45-60 minutes depending on the weather (cross your fingers in the hopes of no wind!) and the temperature of your charcoals.

Latest posts

Back