Cast Iron

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So I have a bit of a fetish for cast iron. I guess this could kinda go in the prepping/homesteading/off grid threads, but since it's usually for cooking I'll post it here. I'll show my latest find first. This past weekend, my MIL and I went to an estate sale. Things were old and dirty but pretty cheap. I saw the cauldron first marked at $2 so put it in my pile. Then walked over and saw the griddle but no price. The gal said "Oh just take that!" I got a couple tools and whatnots too ;) The cauldron is a little rough but will surely still hold a bean. The closest I've found online is from 1860 and is $150. It's a 2 gal. #8. The griddle is actually newer and just had a cast finish so hubby did a little work to smooth out the "smooth" side. We tag team. He gets the big stuff off etc. then I scrub and season. We make a fine team if I do say so myself 💕 So before and afters~ (afters in the next post)
Cauldron and Griddle before.jpg
Cauldron and Griddle before 2.jpg
Cauldron before.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good now lets see for amazing food creations... :thumbs:
I cooked pesto chicken in one of my skillets earlier, but not much left to show 😂 I want to do beans and hamhocks in the cauldron but it's been triple digits so it needs to cool off just a tad. Just finished the griddle this evening - seasoned it this morning and had to let it cool.

I cooked pesto chicken in one of my skillets earlier, but not much left to show 😂 I want to do beans and hamhocks in the cauldron but it's been triple digits so it needs to cool off just a tad. Just finished the griddle this evening - seasoned it this morning and had to let it cool.

Just remember, pics or it didnt happen... :p

Lady Locust,
Does that cauldron have a receiver for an old hearth pin? I see it has clips for the chains (3) but it looks to have a receiver that sets on the pin of an old hearth beam mount. The beam would swing out from the hearth and fold in the middle to place it where it needed to be in the fireplace. My grandmother used to have one.

I was gifted a nice cast iron pot with a lid with the intent that it would be a flower pot. However, we use cast iron all the time for cooking, and this pot is a type we don’t currently have in the inventory. I might want to resurrect it. The rust is worse that in the OPs.

What is the best and safest way to get that rust off? Once we can get the rust off, my wife knows how to do proper seasoning. I’d like to try and get the pot back into producing good food!

I was gifted a nice cast iron pot with a lid with the intent that it would be a flower pot. However, we use cast iron all the time for cooking, and this pot is a type we don’t currently have in the inventory. I might want to resurrect it. The rust is worse that in the OPs.

What is the best and safest way to get that rust off? Once we can get the rust off, my wife knows how to do proper seasoning. I’d like to try and get the pot back into producing good food!
Depending on the size/shape, Hubby uses either a wire wheel or wire cup brush to knock the rust off. I have every inkling that this cauldron was used as a flower pot :mad: which caused the pitting (deterioration) in the bottom. With the griddle, it just had the cast finish like you see on the grilling side - the little bumply looking stuff that makes food stick so he took a scotchbrite to it. Wire wheel and schotchbrites are on a "grinder". Then season, then wipe well with rag. Don't wash it before you season it or it will rust again. Typically after the first seasoning, I try to cook something greasy. After that, it's fair game.
PS You'll want to wear a mask so you're not breathing that rust.

Lady Locust,
Does that cauldron have a receiver for an old hearth pin? I see it has clips for the chains (3) but it looks to have a receiver that sets on the pin of an old hearth beam mount. The beam would swing out from the hearth and fold in the middle to place it where it needed to be in the fireplace. My grandmother used to have one.
I'm a little lost ~ probably a verbiage thing. What are you calling a Hearth Pin? The Beam - is that the Crane? So this little jewel is missing it's handle. The handle should be a thick gage wire and have the little bend at the top for hanging it, but only attaches to the pot on either side.
Like this one
1622811436527.png

I haven't been able to find much out as most of what I am finding online is newer. Mine does have the flared top so am "suspecting" it's older.
This is the closest one I've found.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGG-hQDGgO9qeTod-kpOo5FNyQv2wThe little thingamabob on the side, I would have guessed to be used with a hook for pouring or like you said (I think) chain to hold it a certain way. I would love to see what you are thinking. I did find this pix if it's helpful in explaining (because I would like to know more.)
1622811727203.png

@LadyLocust has it well covered and that's probably the best method I have found too. A few other ways I have seen videos on as a matter of curiosity lol

Take a sand blaster to it if you have or know someone with one. This seems to work really well.

Rock salt, (or any large grain salt) and lemon juice. A wire pot scrubber and elbow grease. This is the least fun, most hard work, and least effective method for serious rust. It does work well for light rusting.

After an out door fire has really died down and lost most of the serious heat (but is still hot enough - talk about a bad description) in the remaining coals, bury the pot/pan in the coals and leave it until completely cold. This one I have tried. I would say a good 80% of the rust, dirt and any old seasoning just flacked off by brushing a hand or sponge over it. But there was still that remaining bit to deal with.

Very nice finds! I would love to have them. :)

I have done a lot of campfire cooking with our cast iron griddle, pans, and dutch ovens.
1622816269116.jpeg

1622816366652.jpeg

A few years ago, I dumpster dived to get a free Griswold waffle iron (before photo below).
3.jpg

2.jpg

I also restored a completely nasty Griswold stove. (after photo below)
1.jpg

My typical method of cleaning rusty cast iron is to toss it into a burning campfire. This method will burn off all the old grease and oils embedded in the iron and most of the rust will flake off. Then, re-season in the oven.

Very nice finds! I would love to have them. :)

I have done a lot of campfire cooking with our cast iron griddle, pans, and dutch ovens.
View attachment 67609

View attachment 67610

A few years ago, I dumpster dived to get a free Griswold waffle iron (before photo below).
View attachment 67606

View attachment 67608

I also restored a completely nasty Griswold stove. (after photo below)
View attachment 67607

My typical method of cleaning rusty cast iron is to toss it into a burning campfire. This method will burn off all the old grease and oils embedded in the iron and most of the rust will flake off. Then, re-season in the oven.
I don't know that I've ever seen a "stove" like that. It's beautiful! - me wants 🤤 slobber, drool, swoon. (Hey, at least I admitted want and not "need") 😁

Darn it!!! Checked all my cast iron pots and pans last night. All of it needs to be re-seasoned! See what you started @LadyLocust? ;)

I have cast iron I use almost daily thats kept in good shape. Then I have several larger items just in case I need to switch to outdoor cooking. Some is "good" Lodge (pre-2005), a Best Duty #1 pot and the bread maker, skillets that belonged to my grandmother, and a couple of camp stoves out in the old Winnebago. Most has never been used. Some of it I keep in the original boxes.

It's still cool out at night... I'll season everything after dark so I can open up the house and get the window fans running.

Cast Iron (10)a.JPG

Darn it!!! Checked all my cast iron pots and pans last night. All of it needs to be re-seasoned! See what you started @LadyLocust? ;)

I have cast iron I use almost daily thats kept in good shape. Then I have several larger items just in case I need to switch to outdoor cooking. Some is "good" Lodge (pre-2005), a Best Duty #1 pot and the bread maker, skillets that belonged to my grandmother, and a couple of camp stoves out in the old Winnebago. Most has never been used. Some of it I keep in the original boxes.

It's still cool out at night... I'll season everything after dark so I can open up the house and get the window fans running.

View attachment 67611
If you have an outdoor propane grill, you can season your cast iron in that.

My mom bought a cast iron chicken fryer at a garage sale for $1. It was in pretty bad shape. Dad had a big brush pile burning so mom just tossed the pan into it. A couple of days later after everything cooled off she got the pan out and washed it off. It has big red splotches but it seems to be OK. We still use it.
I stopped in to visit an uncle and his barn wall had cast iron cookware hung up. He must have had 50 different pieces hanging up. He said he bought all of them at yard sales and never paid more than a couple of dollars.
At the time cast iron didn't interest me but now it would be a whole different story.
I wonder what happened to all of it.

Red rust (ferric iron) on cast iron (ferrous iron) can be removed in several ways. On way was mentioned earlier, soaking for several days in a molasses (or any sugar for that matter) and water mixture. What happens is, the mixture turns anaerobic and the ferric iron (red) is reduced to ferrous iron (gray).

Another way, is by soaking in a sugary, acidic soda, like Coke or Mtn Dew.

Red rust (ferric iron) on cast iron (ferrous iron) can be removed in several ways. On way was mentioned earlier, soaking for several days in a molasses (or any sugar for that matter) and water mixture. What happens is, the mixture turns anaerobic and the ferric iron (red) is reduced to ferrous iron (gray).

Another way, is by soaking in a sugary, acidic soda, like Coke or Mtn Dew.
Thanks for that.

The earlier post about molasses didn't click for thinking that after a week something would be growing in that petre dish. You cleared that up for me.

Ben

Latest posts

Back